I Broke My First Horse Ever!!! Our Buckskin Filly Tora

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been showing pictures of this beauty since she was born and I have been anxiously waiting for the day I could hop on her back. It was a surprise to me that it happened so early! I got a call on Wednesday that the trainer is taking her on Monday. She's a little under 2 years old so I was expecting to still have at least 2 or 3 months to work with her before actually getting on her, but since she's so big he wants to do it now. We want her done so my sister can take her to 4H this summer and a few other summer shows.

Well anyway, there was a lot of work that I would have liked to have done with her, but I had to skip some of the ground basics like moving from side pressure since I had such short notice. I've worked with her in the round pen several times with a bit and saddle on, and I've put bareback saddles on her since the first week of her life. She halters well, and loads pretty darn good, ties, stands, picks up her feet, walks through anything you ask her to, including creeks. She's a really good all around horse and she's pretty level headed for being so young.

When I was down there on Wednesday morning she stood perfectly still when I saddled and bridled her. She even did a VERY good job of keeping her cool when the stirrup fell off the saddle and hit her in the side. She just jumped and stood there waiting for me to do something. I train by giving lots of praise, and I'm almost positive that's what she was waiting for. She was better saddling and bridling than her own mother!!!

I did some round pen work and hopped on! She took off kind of fast, but when I asked her to whoa she threw her head up a couple times and stopped right away. She was really awesome. She didn't give me any troubles other than she thought she couldn't walk with all the weight on her how rude.

Anyway, here's a few pictures. And yes my farm coat is from the early 90s

Here's an old picture of her if you need a reminder, Tora at a week old

And here's the very much anticipated video I'm sure

It may be a little less exciting than you were expecting, unless you were hoping I would live

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have no idea about horses, but they sure sound like a lot of work and dedication, and you've obviosly put lots into Tora.
does she have a winter coat too? She looks kind of fuzzy.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a thrilling day for you...
Congratulations

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!! Tora looks so happy & confident
I am glad that you prefer the gentler way of training
I was raised in an area with lots of old-fashioned cowboying - take a 2x4 & show the horse who's boss. My dad, though, bless his heart, used to say, make the horse trust you & be your friend & s/he will give their life for you - it makes the difference between a horse who wants to lose his rider & gallop back to the barn and a horse who will be devoted to you thru thick & thin, and no beatings necessary

vermontcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tora is beautiful and you look great on her.

That is amazing that you can ride her and she's not even two yet.
At the barn my daughter takes lessons at, they have two quarter horse fillies that will be 3 in the spring and their training is going really well too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are a couple updated pictures. She has been at the trainer's place for 2 months and she has a couple weeks left. She's HUGE! I'm just a hair shy of 5'7''

Originally Posted by morningrl

That is great! And such a beautiful horse.
Thank you! I love her!

Originally Posted by pushylady

I have no idea about horses, but they sure sound like a lot of work and dedication, and you've obviosly put lots into Tora.
does she have a winter coat too? She looks kind of fuzzy.
You hit the nail on the head! They are a lot of work and dedication! Most of all patience! I never had patience till I got a horse 5 years ago. You can't lose your patience or the horse will lose confidence and your training stops right there. Yep, she's got her winter coat in full force. My paint mare looks like a woolly mammoth right now!

Originally Posted by xocats

What a thrilling day for you...
Congratulations
Thank you!

Originally Posted by catsknowme

Congratulations!! Tora looks so happy & confident
I am glad that you prefer the gentler way of training
I was raised in an area with lots of old-fashioned cowboying - take a 2x4 & show the horse who's boss. My dad, though, bless his heart, used to say, make the horse trust you & be your friend & s/he will give their life for you - it makes the difference between a horse who wants to lose his rider & gallop back to the barn and a horse who will be devoted to you thru thick & thin, and no beatings necessary
Thank you! I agree, the cowboy way is a bit too intense for me. Using that method really doesn't work, in my opinion. You literally break the horse's spirit and in turn it's personality, it's trust, it's love, and it's compassion for humans. It took me an entire year of putting the saddle on my mare every day before she would stand calmly. She was trained the cowboy way and was terrified that I would beat her once I got the saddle on. It's been 5 years and there are still things that I'm working on because she's scared. She's a thousand times better than she used to be, but you can still tell she has had a traumatic life before me. She would rather die than go inside of a barn! I'm thinking someone tied her up in a barn and beat the heck out of her. She'll go in a barn with me leading her, but she will literally shake until she sweats.

Originally Posted by Ryffian

How exciting! What an amazing feeling.
Thank you! It was an amazing feeling!

Originally Posted by Vermontcat

Tora is beautiful and you look great on her.

That is amazing that you can ride her and she's not even two yet.
At the barn my daughter takes lessons at, they have two quarter horse fillies that will be 3 in the spring and their training is going really well too.
Thank you! Most people wouldn't get on a horse or break it till it is 2 or 3, and I have received A LOT of really mean comments from people for it! Around here it is completely normal to break a horse at 2 years, and our trainer goes by a combo of age and physical maturity. I trust and like our trainer. He is a VERY gentle trainer and has some really amazing horses!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

It took me an entire year of putting the saddle on my mare every day before she would stand calmly. She was trained the cowboy way and was terrified that I would beat her once I got the saddle on. It's been 5 years and there are still things that I'm working on because she's scared. She's a thousand times better than she used to be, but you can still tell she has had a traumatic life before me. She would rather die than go inside of a barn! I'm thinking someone tied her up in a barn and beat the heck out of her. She'll go in a barn with me leading her, but she will literally shake until she sweats.
Poor girl.
I hope more time and love continues healing her.

The only two horses I've had a lot of time with were definitely not broke that way - both were also fairly spirited. Actually, one wasn't even fully broke. She was very green but a sweet horse. But because she was green and playful, I ended up sailing right over her head after taking a saddle horn really hard to my stomach - it stunned so I couldn't ride her out that time. The horse nearly broke me!
But being as trusting and sweet as she was, what did the goofy horse do? She walked over to me on the ground and gave me a look that said "what are you doing down there?"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by -_aj_-

SHe is absolutly stunning, looks so calm and comfortable with you
Thank you! She is awesome for me! She definitely behaves the best for me. I'm pretty sure it's because she trusts me and knows that I'm not afraid of her. I don't let her walk all over me, so she knows her boundaries with me.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Poor girl.
I hope more time and love continues healing her.

The only two horses I've had a lot of time with were definitely not broke that way - both were also fairly spirited. Actually, one wasn't even fully broke. She was very green but a sweet horse. But because she was green and playful, I ended up sailing right over her head after taking a saddle horn really hard to my stomach - it stunned so I couldn't ride her out that time. The horse nearly broke me!
But being as trusting and sweet as she was, what did the goofy horse do? She walked over to me on the ground and gave me a look that said "what are you doing down there?"
I hope so too
I love her so much, I wouldn't let her go for anything. She's 21 years old and deserves to live out the rest of her life in a good place.

Lol, that's funny about your horse!

The craziest story with my mare, happened a couple years ago. We were out riding and she jumped over a little tiny crick-she could have stepped over it-but she slipped and hit her face on the ground and I flipped over her. When she went to get back up her front hoof was on my chest, but somehow she knew that she was stepping on me and jumped off. I have no idea how she knew or how she was able to jump off in time, but all I got was a really pretty purple bruise on my ribs, nothing broke! I couldn't believe it! My sister was freaking out because she was watching it all happen.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Most people wouldn't get on a horse or break it till it is 2 or 3, and I have received A LOT of really mean comments from people for it! Around here it is completely normal to break a horse at 2 years, and our trainer goes by a combo of age and physical maturity. I trust and like our trainer. He is a VERY gentle trainer and has some really amazing horses!
Just to add to this I just went to a veterinary conference where a veterinarian confirmed that across the board horse's bone plates finish closing at 6 years of age. Personally without x-rays I would not break a horse before age 2, I honestly really wouldn't even start riding until 3-4yrs of age... but everyone does things differently. My issue with breaking them young is that they usually have joint problems later. You see it in performance horses all the time, they end up getting injections by age 4-5.

Anyway - she's a pretty girl! I'm sure you're super happy to be a part of the experience!