I am underfeeding my cats but I'm worried one of them is gaining weight?

FlyingLeopard33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I have two kitties--both from the same litter. They're both 1.5 years old (born on July 4 of 2021). They both eat the same amount of food:
In the morning: 4 tablespoons of Royal Canin Indoor Cat dry food
In the evening: 2 tablespoons of Royal Canin Indoor Cat dry food + 1/2 can of royal canin wet food

(Sometimes I give them a whole can in a day and do 2 tablespoons +1/2 can in the morning and the evening. But I try to save money by doing wet food once a day). When they were kittens they mostly got canned food because I knew that was better.

Some back story: the black cat was neutered at a younger age (long story short: my roommate and i both got one cat from the litter and she wanted to get him neutered earlier...i'm not sure why) so he got neutered around 4 months old. The tabby (the one i 'owned') got neutered at 6 months old because that's what was recommended by the vet. They're both up to date on vaccinations except for rabies as of this year...I will get that done soon. They're both indoor cats.

Based on my calculations last night:
Royal canin wet food: 66 kcal/can
Royal Canin Dry food: 325 kcal/cup
1 cup=16 tablespoons

A 10 lbs cat should be eating about 200 kcal/day

in the morning: 4 tablespoons= about 81 kcal
in the evening: 2 tablespoons=about 40 kcal + 1/2 can = 33 kcal
Total for the day: 154 kcal/day (which is low...even if they were 10 lbs).

I weighed them last night on my scale by holding them and then subtracting my weight on my own and the black cat weighs 11.4 lbs and the tabby weights 11.9 lbs. They're both fairly active as they play together and I try to play with them most days, but I'm also a medical student and am very busy. So I'd say they get played with maybe 1/2 the days but they chase each other around a lot.

Also, I recently got a new food scale and measured what i've been giving them and I'm also very, very off by the weight and I know that weight is more important when measuring food. I usually just 2 scoops of the tablespoon and evidently that's only 1/2 the amount of food they *should* be getting based on the weight. In other words, I weighed out 2 tablespoons which should weight close to 28 grams and when weighed out it's closer to like 18 grams. What the heck?!

I really want to make sure my cats are being well-fed but I also don't want them to be overweight either. I posted photos for reference (of both kitties). The tabby also has always been slightly bigger than the black cat...but I don't know. I think sometimes I'm just being paranoid.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I'm not clear if this is what you're doing, but a good method is stepping on the scale yourself, writing that down, then step on it again right away while holding a cat, and writing that down. Then subtract the two amounts, and the difference is what the cat weighs.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

FlyingLeopard33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
I'm not clear if this is what you're doing, but a good method is stepping on the scale yourself, writing that down, then step on it again right away while holding a cat, and writing that down. Then subtract the two amounts, and the difference is what the cat weighs.
Yes...that is what I am doing. I am weight myself on my own and then weighing myself with the cat. The weight that I listed above is their weights and i did this last night. Black cat=11.4 lbs and the Grey tabby=11.9 lbs.

FlyingLeopard33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Google Image Result for https://www.cwvet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/clent-hills-vets-royal-canin-body-condition-score-cat.png

Just like humans, some cats will fall closer to the 5 or 6 and be perfectly healthy, and some will fall near the 3 and be perfectly healthy.

Please don't underfeed them at this age, they may still grow.
The issue with these photos is it's hard to tell. I can feel both of their ribs but one just looks thinner than the others. Again, it wasn't intentional to underfeed them. I was going based on what was recommended on the package and the 'cup' measurements rather than by calories. I finally did the math on their kcal that they're eating and it's clearly less than what's recommended as far as kcal... and it's also less based on the weight of their food. Hopefully I explained that well.

FlyingLeopard33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think your cats weights are fine. Can you increase their food quantity?
Should I though? Because I don't want them to gain anymore weight is the issue. The grey one is the one I'm concerned about and they seem to be at a healthy-ish weight... but I honestly can't tell. I need to take them to the vet soon but money has been tight. So I was waiting until I got my loans for school.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whether they grow more, and gain weight because of that, is out of your control. You don't want to run the risk of undernourishing them :)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's an example. This is Calcifer and Magnus. Magnus is almost 3 yrs and Calcifer is almost 2 yrs. Calcifer is MUCH larger than Magnus. He's just a bigger cat 🐈

However, when you look at the top down photo (don't mind his ears I was following him to try and catch it. He didn't approve), he has a waist. His chest always keeps a layer of fat so he sits at about a 4.5 on the body condition scale.

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should I though? Because I don't want them to gain anymore weight is the issue. The grey one is the one I'm concerned about and they seem to be at a healthy-ish weight... but I honestly can't tell. I need to take them to the vet soon but money has been tight. So I was waiting until I got my loans for school.
Focus on body condition. Not weight. Calcifer is way over 12 lbs. But he's a large cat.
If they start to lose their waist, cut back. They're young and active so will lose it easily.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is only a basic guideline, but the general rule of thumb is that most cats can maintain their weight on 20-25 calories per pound of body weight. So, on that theory, an 11.5 pound cat probably should get somewhere between 230 to 287 calories a day - somewhat dependent on activity level. Once you've compared them to the body condition chart above to make sure they are 'reasonable', I would not feed them less than the 230 at their age. For all you know you will have two good sized cats when they reach full adult stage.

I wouldn't get too technical with determining the calories. Also, curious why RC? There are likely better foods out there for a lot less in cost.

FlyingLeopard33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is only a basic guideline, but the general rule of thumb is that most cats can maintain their weight on 20-25 calories per pound of body weight. So, on that theory, an 11.5 pound cat probably should get somewhere between 230 to 287 calories a day - somewhat dependent on activity level. Once you've compared them to the body condition chart above to make sure they are 'reasonable', I would not feed them less than the 230 at their age. For all you know you will have two good sized cats when they reach full adult stage.

I wouldn't get too technical with determining the calories. Also, curious why RC? There are likely better foods out there for a lot less in cost.
I see. I used Royal Canin based on my vet's recommendation. They recommended either Purina Pro Plan or Royal Canin when they were kittens and I just went with royal canin based on my own research as well. I guess what I'm confused about is how they appear to be a healthy weight and yet somehow I'm severely underfeeding them by almost 50-100 kcal. Anyway, I did see when I was doing A LOT of research before I got both cats (we originally were only going to get 1 cat) that some people don't recommend Royal Canin because many people have said that Royal Canin is mostly grain (or at least that's the first ingredient on the list)...however many vets have said they recommend it based on their stringent research. They don't promote it just because they get money out of it. And as a medical student...I tend to trust my vets.

I thought that cats were fully adults by the time they were 12-18 months (which they are)? So, I assumed they weren't going to get any better. I appreciate your help. I'm not trying to argue. I just think it's very odd that based on kcal on 4 tbsp (of just dry food) they're being underfed and then this morning after weighing their food on their scale they're being even MORE underfed than I originally though because I'm underfeeding by like .5 oz/20 grams. Blows my mind. It was like an additional 3-5 scoops with the tablespoon.

FlyingLeopard33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Focus on body condition. Not weight. Calcifer is way over 12 lbs. But he's a large cat.
If they start to lose their waist, cut back. They're young and active so will lose it easily.
I'll definitely try to get them into the vet some time and ask my vet too. I just feel like he's been gaining weight... which i assumed he'd stop given that he'll be 2 in July. Your guy has more of a waist than mine does. But it depends on the angle. He wasn't exactly happy that I picked him up and put him back on the floor... but anyway sometimes I think he just looks bigger. I think I'm paranoid. My roommate always used to say he was fatter than the black one and I just wasn't sure.

Attachments

FlyingLeopard33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whether they grow more, and gain weight because of that, is out of your control. You don't want to run the risk of undernourishing them :)
I underestand. My concern was them gaining weight that was unhealthy which is IN my control

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most vets are not educated in feline nutrition, and they tend to rely on manufacturers to tell them the 'best' foods, many from salespersons who frequent their offices with new products. Some vets do get money for promoting products, others get discounts for purchasing certain products, which they then can sell for a profit. Others yet rely on the information they receive from companies like Royal Canin as their 'stringent research'. I don't believe companies that sell other products like Weruva, Fancy Feast, etc. have salespersons asking for vet audiences, so that is why those items are not promoted or suggested by most vets. All you have to do is compare ingredients with some of the vet promoted foods against other foods to see that with many the first ingredient is protein and not a grain. Cats are obligate carnivores and do better when their diet contains more protein than grains and vegetables.

As far as your cats' weights, keep doing what you are doing if you are comfortable with the calories, but don't lower them anymore than what you are doing now. Time will tell.

FlyingLeopard33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I appreciate your advice though. I'll continue to look around as well. It would be nice to not spend as much money. In general, it sounds like im overthinking it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
F FlyingLeopard33 Definitely overthinking it. Your cats look great. Your cats waist looks fine. It'll be a bit different on each cat. Kudos to you for doing lots of research!

We did originally think cats stopped growing at 1 year. But newer research shows that they can grow much past then. Most cats who have been in homes most of their lives will finish growing at 2 years old. I honestly keep mine on kitten food until then. When Do Cats Stop Growing? Reliable Ways to Know When Cats Reach Their Full Size | Healthy Paws Pet Insurance

Pro-plan would be less expensive and Purina changed their diets after doing a longitudinal study, to mirror their Purina Pro Plan Prime plus. I'd still have mine on it, but Magnus has a beef allergy and cannot have it anymore.

For wet I do mostly Purina, but substitute in some Wureva, Applepaws, or Fancy Feast (pates with more limited ingredients), Merrick and Instinct on a rare occasion. There's nothing in the Prime Plus that is specific for senior cats, so they get that and the chicken and rice formula.

For dry they get Arcana, but it would be preferable to me to change that. It's just the food they eat that is quality while I look for a Purina alternative that I find suitable.