I am thinking of getting a new cat and need some advice

avemaria02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Southern Indiana, United States of America
Hey, everyone. I am thinking of getting a new cat sometime in the next year since Precious died but I need some advice. I have a 1.5-year-old son. He'll be 2 on July 29 this year. I am thinking he might be too young for us to get another cat but I don't know for sure. I've never had a child before Colton. Could you all please offer some advice?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started getting my cats when the kids were 2-4 years old. No issues. Yue is a Princess and Tommy is highly social and a lover. Then Amalie and Angel.

Then we got Stewart, but the kids were older like 5 and 7 and we told them not to talk to him. If you want to play with a cat, pick one of the others. Stewart was a little feral and had to take a few years to settle down. He was also a late neuter. He's 5 now and everyone understands him and he understands how to be a house cat. 

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about visiting a shelter and see how your son and the kitties interact? You may be pleasantly surprised and get your answer.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Once I had a family come in to "visit" with one of our cats at adoption time.   They had been preapproved to take a cat home if they chose to do so.   They had a son about 3 years old.   He had practiced with a toy stuffed cat at home and knew how to pet, hold, and interact with a " cat".   His parents told him this was his opportunity to practice on a real cat.  Well, the cat just loved him and he loved the cat.   He was one happy little boy when he got to take his new friend home.   I now recommend this "training" to everyone with small children.

Last edited: