I am soooo worried

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Renae, there's no liquid alternative? We've tried crushing the pill into food for Shelly when he needed medication and he's hard to pill.... but he didn't go for it.

Tuxedo is back at the hospital with a UTI too.
(He'd been in the kitten food). We have to feed him prescription food to treat the condition as well as to prevent it. But he also needs meds... our vet prescibed Clavamox, which is liquid.

????????

houseofcats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad they caught this! It really sounded suspicious to me the way you were describing how he was acting. Oh man pilling a feral??? Can they give him a booster shot of antibiotics? I think the best way is trying it in his food. I hate to discourage you though,but whenever we crush pills in our cats food they won't eat it! Bunny put her's in baby food and one her cats gobbled it up, just a suggestion. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HA! Pilling a feral- you can really only effectively do it one time. After that, when they see you coming they run for the hills!

I would suggest confinement for the course of the medication Renae, it's the only way to be sure Nathan will get the meds. If you have a small room that is quiet I would go in and spray the heck out of it with feliway spray. Take out anything Nathan might break that is sitting on shelves etc... Put in cardboard boxes he can hide in easily, and try and give him several security holes he can retreat to. Put in food and litter and fresh water and just place him in the room for the duration of the meds.

Putting the meds in food, does not work, and it is a waste of good money because the pills never get eaten.

The best way to pill a feral is to scruff the kitty and wrap him up in a towel so only his head shows through. (watch those claws) Still scruffing him, but keeping him on the ground so he doesn't freak out totally, kneel down and cross your ankles behind you. Place him between your opened knees so his back is to you. Using a pill gun NOT YOUR FINGERS shoot the pill in towards the back of his throat. His response is going to be unpleasant and he will back pedal against you but be unable to go anywhere because of your crossed ankles. Then release him.

When I have had to do with my ferals I also take the pill gun in every so often and load it with chicken flavored baby food, and follow this technique. Because it is not shooting a pill down their throat, but instead putting something tasty in their mouth, they actually relax a little bit when the gun comes out. You want to wear long sleeves when you do this and don't get bit or scratched. There are some meds now that you can get as a paste and rub them on their ears- so much easier! You might talk to the vet about that option.

Good luck!