I am so stressed

maplemiso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I didn't want to post this unless I needed to because I sound incompetent and irresponsible. I just got an 8-week old kitten last week and for the first few days, it's been great. No litterbox issues and he's been eating and sleeping well. But since yesterday, he started having smushy stool, and this morning, he peed on the bean bag chair.

Some more details: I shut my bedroom door and I sleep alone. I have some anxiety issues so sleep is super important to me and I give him lots of cuddles and playtime during the day. But he did sound upset last night when I closed the door. I feel super guilty but I also really needed a space just for myself.

I don't know if it's a health issue but he is scheduled with a vet next week. Or if it's a behaviour issue because he misses me during the night. I am super stressed and I really need to work during the day but I feel horrible not playing with him all the times. I put his cat bed beside my desk and gave him my old unwashed sweater so he has something to cuddle with that smells like me. I don't know if it's just because he is still a baby or is he upset about something. Please help me out with things I could try. I am crying right now feeling super stressed and guilty and feel like I can't take care of him.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a lot of things. He is still a tiny baby. A bit too young to leave his mom; but, you are kind, careing and are reaching out for advice. You are to be applauded for doing this

Not an expert on kittens, but: Have you changed his food from what he was eating. This could be an lssue. It would take several days to see.

It could even be from stress. Being taken away from his home. Does he have some interactive toys to play with?

Kittens need a lot of attention. I know you be are trying. Cats. In general are nocturnal. They play, hunt at night.

Can you get a small soft stuffed animal for your baby to cuddle at night? And perhaps a wind up clock, watch. This can mimic moms heartbeat.

He is still new at your house. He is stressed. And exploring. He wants to check things out.

You can also get some Feliway plug ins. They are sometimes good at calming cats—-sending out a calming pheromones.

Lastly, you should definitely take A stool specimen to the vet— just to check for parasites.

If your kitten is eating, drinking, playing normally, I would chalk it up to being in a new environment and being alone.

And use an enzymatic cleaner for areas he peed. You do not want him to get in the habit of marking, even at this early age.

Is there any way he can cuddle with you in bed? It may mean some sleepers nights; however, you may be surprised by how much you enjoy the cuddling.

If you decide not to, then try a cuddle buddy for him. And a clock/watch. Tire him out before you go to bed, leave some food out for him, the litter box near him—- for now.

He is still a Baby. You Are his new mom.

I know you love him. It will just take time for both of you to adjust to each other and the situation.

I hope this helped, I know more knowledgeable people will be answering you, soon

Good luck. Love your baby! Take plenty of pictures, they grow so fast.
Bottom line, enjoy him. (((Hugs)))

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maplemiso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be a lot of things. He is still a tiny baby. A bit too young to leave his mom; but, you are kind, careing and are reaching out for advice. You are to be applauded for doing this

Not an expert on kittens, but: Have you changed his food from what he was eating. This could be an lssue. It would take several days to see.

It could even be from stress. Being taken away from his home. Does he have some interactive toys to play with?

Kittens need a lot of attention. I know you be are trying. Cats. In general are nocturnal. They play, hunt at night.

Can you get a small soft stuffed animal for your baby to cuddle at night? And perhaps a wind up clock, watch. This can mimic moms heartbeat.

He is still new at your house. He is stressed. And exploring. He wants to check things out.

You can also get some Feliway plug ins. They are sometimes good at calming cats—-sending out a calming pheromones.

Lastly, you should definitely take A stool specimen to the vet— just to check for parasites.

If your kitten is eating, drinking, playing normally, I would chalk it up to being in a new environment and being alone.

And use an enzymatic cleaner for areas he peed. You do not want him to get in the habit of marking, even at this early age.

Is there any way he can cuddle with you in bed? It may mean some sleepers nights; however, you may be surprised by how much you enjoy the cuddling.

If you decide not to, then try a cuddle buddy for him. And a clock/watch. Tire him out before you go to bed, leave some food out for him, the litter box near him—- for now.

He is still a Baby. You Are his new mom.

I know you love him. It will just take time for both of you to adjust to each other and the situation.

I hope this helped, I know more knowledgeable people will be answering you, soon

Good luck. Love your baby! Take plenty of pictures, they grow so fast.
Bottom line, enjoy him. (((Hugs)))
Thank you so much for the kind words and advice.

He is eating the same food from where I got him from so I haven't changed his food. He was just playing on the bean bag and then I noticed he peed a bit. I will try out the clock and cuddle buddy methods to see if it helps. I usually play with him for a bit before I go to sleep but maybe he needs more.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest then, to confine big to one space. He may need a bit more litter training...But, I have not had a kitten for over 30 years...

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 can you help, or know of someone who is able to?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He’s still learning. Babies have accidents. Make sure to put him in the litter box before and after meals, before bed, etc., and make sure that a couple of boxes are nearby where he plays. He’ll catch on! 😊

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be so he feels alone. Ie missing you. But hey! If you were allergic, you would too keep your bedroom cat free... So dont have bad conscience for THIS.

Possibly, if you are sure the kitten feels alone, get him a cat pal. Another kitten, or a friendly adult whom is OK with a playing kitten.
Having two cats is often easier than to have one cat. And they still do bond with their human.