I am so freaking mad right now

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orig. from Texas.. Currently in Minnesota (again)
I am so freaking mad right now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my lovely neighbors called and told the police that i was not feeding my dogs and that they were starvinng and I never paid any attention tot hem and that they barked and whined all night cause they were hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have Missy and Buddy in the back yard. They are barkers! They love to bark as much as they love to run and play lol. I feed missy inside at night because buddy is food aggressive i don't let missy out until they have both finished eating!! Missy is a petite dog she is a catahoula/blue heeler mix shes has NEVER been "big". When we got buddy he was extremly obese because all he did was sleep and eat he didn't have room to run. he got here and lost alot (too much in fact) because missy keeps him running a n playing all the time. we are trying to get him to an ideal weight its been slow but its going good i thought!! I am so upset i can't stop crying. charlie is taking missy to go to his dads in austin tonight. i hate the fact that im losong my baby girl. and he is trying to find a home for buddy he apoplogzed sooo much cause they are "his" dogs and he has been gone so much. i feel hopelessly lost and sad. i love these pups and it breaks my heart that someone hates me so much (i have no idea who) or hates my dogs so much that they would do this. the police said to eother get rid of them or "fatten them up" they will be by next week to check on them. sadly they won't be here

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom2SalemIsis

I am so freaking mad right now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my lovely neighbors called and told the police that i was not feeding my dogs and that they were starvinng and I never paid any attention tot hem and that they barked and whined all night cause they were hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have Missy and Buddy in the back yard. They are barkers! They love to bark as much as they love to run and play lol. I feed missy inside at night because buddy is food aggressive i don't let missy out until they have both finished eating!! Missy is a petite dog she is a catahoula/blue heeler mix shes has NEVER been "big". When we got buddy he was extremly obese because all he did was sleep and eat he didn't have room to run. he got here and lost alot (too much in fact) because missy keeps him running a n playing all the time. we are trying to get him to an ideal weight its been slow but its going good i thought!! I am so upset i can't stop crying. charlie is taking missy to go to his dads in austin tonight. i hate the fact that im losong my baby girl. and he is trying to find a home for buddy he apoplogzed sooo much cause they are "his" dogs and he has been gone so much. i feel hopelessly lost and sad. i love these pups and it breaks my heart that someone hates me so much (i have no idea who) or hates my dogs so much that they would do this. the police said to eother get rid of them or "fatten them up" they will be by next week to check on them. sadly they won't be here
I feel bad for you because I know you love your babies, but on the other hand I can understand if your neighbour is fed up with the barking. I've been in the position of having a neighbour with a barking dog when our daughter was little and believe me none of us got much rest.

Hope this works out OK for you and your hubby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they only bark when something or someone (other than us) is in our (their)yard and when the train goes by i wish i knew who called them.. (yeah i have a little problem controlling my temper when i get this mad lol)

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. We tried to rescue a dog who barked and barked...ended up losing her when the neighbors complained to the police. I did find homes for her entire litter of puppies, but had we lived in the country like we do now, Lucky (HA!) would have had a home with us for life.

It seems like if the weight is the biggest issue, you could do a vet appt and have your vet back you up that you are caring properly for these dogs. Didn't the police look at the food you have for them, and the area inside where they are fed?

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
missy had a vet appointment today to get her new rabies shot. the vet said she was in perfect condition that there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with her. he said that she was a very active healthy pup and HE got mad when charlie told him about the police thing this morning. i know om harping but this has got me really upset. i need to go take a hot bath and calm down lol

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I am so sorry. We tried to rescue a dog who barked and barked...ended up losing her when the neighbors complained to the police. I did find homes for her entire litter of puppies, but had we lived in the country like we do now, Lucky (HA!) would have had a home with us for life.

It seems like if the weight is the biggest issue, you could do a vet appt and have your vet back you up that you are caring properly for these dogs. Didn't the police look at the food you have for them, and the area inside where they are fed?
he did come inside and look at the food we have one of those big rubbermaid buckets that was full of food and he asked when we fed them. they get fed every night missy eats inside because of buddys food aggression he said it looked like i loved the dogs and cared for them but that they were still too skinny and needed to "be fatter" and that he was gonna come back in a week to check on them. we live in the city and have a HUGE back yard ,our house sits on 2 1/2 lots the house only take up. they run all the time!! the yard is so big that i can only throw a ball maybe half the distance of the yard!!! i think whoever reported us just didn't have anything better to do

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everything works out for you. It seems like the police didn't think you are starving them- so I'm sure eventually things will blow over. Good luck to you!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this happend. My question is if the dogs were bothering them, why didn't the neighbor first try to contact you directly. Perhaps if you had been aware of the issue there would have been something you could do to make it better. I'm sorry your having to send your babies away. I feel sorry for people who don't know what it's like to truly love an animal. There is nothing so pure as the love of a good pet.

hadley's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i think you shouldnt get rid of your dogs thats just wrong. you should take your neighbor to court there has to be a way to find out who it was like getting a copy of the police report ? also have your vet write a letter about the dogs health to prove your not starving them. im so sorry your going thru this, but dont get rid of your dogs. knowing me if i was in your situation i would take the dogs for a walk around the street knocking on everyones door and ask them if either they knew who reported you or if it was them. what would come next i dont think i will go into

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry

Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Try talking to the policeman and see if you can have your vet provide a note about your dogs' health - my vet commented once about my dog & how nice & slim she is, and said that dogs are much healthier that way - but a lot of people (like this policeman!) look at a slim dog & compare it to the ones they see every day who are much too fat - they don't understand that it's much healthier for a dog to be lean than to be too heavy.

While I can sympathize with neighbors who are driven crazy by barking, it doesn't seem fair that the police didn't give you a warning first, and give you a chance to remedy the situation before insisting you get rid of the dogs. Try talking to the policeman and asking him to give you a chance to handle the barking problem before getting rid of the dogs - offer to keep the dogs inside, or to buy citronella collars or a silent 'barker breaker' device for them. I would only suggest the collars with citronella or a sonic correction, NOT the electronic zapper collars (aka 'correction' collars).

Train your dog to stop barking

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by joecool

There is no reason to fold to it. This is a case where someone is just being vindictive. Have the vet write a letter and speak to the police, and if that doesn't work you should take it to court. There is no reason to give in.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched an Animal Precinct episode recently where the owner swore up and down that their dog was just a `skinny dog'. The ASPCA officers didn't believe him, but when the vet verified this they apologised and that was that.

I think your vet could verify this situation to the police. You have to understand, they don't know you, and look down very harshly on what they believe to be animal neglect. It's a good thing, really!

It is very unfair and unfortunate that this has happened to you, though. We all know how much you love your babies, and that you would never let them come to any harm. I suggest what others here have too, and that is to tell the police to contact your vet for verification.

Good luck, and I hope you can keep your pups. A bit of behaviour modification with their barking may go a long way in this situation, too.

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by joecool

There is no reason to fold to it. This is a case where someone is just being vindictive. Have the vet write a letter and speak to the police, and if that doesn't work you should take it to court. There is no reason to give in.
charlie was going to be taking missy to his dads anyways because i wasn't going to take her to MN with me. so he just decided to do it now instead of right before i leave. and we have been looking for a home for buddy for a while but now rushing it because we are being very selective. im just too tired to think about it anymore today. ive done nothing but cry all day long. i think im going to go to bed early tonight and try to sellp. its VERY quiet here tonight.

dallas1pd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Barking dogs can be annoying. My old neighbors dogs drove us nuts - they had 4 and they barked and barked. Including all night.
I did call Animal Control and complain, and although he knew who I was - he just told them he got a complaint. No names. I liked the neighbor - the husband was a great guy, the wife was a fruitloop. He was out working to all hours - while she sat on the deck swigging 6 packs. After he came, she was forced to pay more attention to the animals.

I had 2 dogs myself at the time - a 55lb lab mix, and a 27 lb sheltie mix.

I have 2, 14 lb dogs and they will bark when someone new shows up - or at my neighbor because he ignores them. But when they don't stop barking quickly I bring them inside.

I would suggest trying to change your yard so the dogs don't see as many things to get them excited.

As far as them being skinny - get a letter from your vet saying they have both been checked, and are in perfect health. Animal Control has to accept that.

Most neighbors will not confront each other on these issues - why start a war? I know you are furious - and I don't blame you - but think of how you yourself would have handled this if it was reversed?

I really hope you can resolve this so that you don't have to give up the dogs. That would be the worst for all.

Donna

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely are stressed out, with good reason. Either the neighbor honestly had a concern, or they were being vindictive, as another poster mentioned. Either way, they should have addressed the problem with you, personally, before bringing in the police. To me that is reminiscent of a scare tactic. Only if a situation isn't remedied by talking to the owner would I consider calling authorities to handle the problem.
You'll get past this. As for wondering who it was, don't bother. They aren't worth your time.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If somebody is going to bloody complain they should have enough guts to say who they are!!!!!!!!!!

My puppies barked and we got $2000 worth of fines because of them, now who ever the heck is complaining has started complaining about my 13 year old dog - when I find out who these people are!!!!!!!!!

If I lose this dog, I've lost my life.