I am SO excited to be a foster!

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have finally come up on the list and have been offered a litter of kittens from a outside feral mom who will be captured next week! I am so excited, lots of work I know, but it will be my first foster and I am excited to help out. They are 6 weeks old and I don't know how many yet. I will have them about a month while they get fixed and shots. I have a room set up for them and my cats will continue to have free run of the rest of the house.

What should I expect, any thing I should be cautious of in regards to my cats health?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There shouldn't be any problem. Just make sure to clean your hands after handling the fosters at first.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YAY, congratulations! How exciting! :clap:

When we had foster rescue babies when we lived in a house, we always left our shoes outside the room so we never had them in there to worry about what we were tracking out. We also kept hand sanitizer to use before we left, so it didn't matter what we touched on our way to wash our hands. If nothing "bloomed" in the fosters inside of 10 days, we didn't worry about having them interact with our other cats.

We first started rescuing when we lived in the RV. We had no way to separate rescues, and just didn't worry about it. Of course, everyone went to the vet before coming home.... thankfully, we got lucky, I guess, and rescue kitties never made our existing pet cats (which were all rescues LOL) sick.

Oh - I guess we did have a round worm battle there for a while. But that's when they figured out that the round worm here is resistant to drontal, and we had to use panacur or strongid-T instead.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats got round worm in winter when there was like 4 ft of snow and the ground had been frozen for at least a month..and they are inside cats and no other animals had come in! It was strange but that's why westarted on revolution. Not an issue since. I will do the hand sanitizer..great idea!