I am new to this pregnancy thing with my cat, need help and answers!

starblossom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I felt the babies move and was wondering how far along she could be. I am not a breeder and had an appointment to have my girl spayed since she was a stray and came to us off the streets. She is a beautiful white cat with one baby blue eye and one green eye. She has been to the vet and is up to date on all her shots and everything. What am I to do? What do I need to do to get ready? So many questions so little time. Please someone help me get the answers to my questions. Thank you and if anyone can e-mail me or IM me my screen name and e-mail address are as follows: [email protected] , Shan68910

Thank you again
Shannon

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She could be anywhere from 3 weeks to one week away from delivery. It is hard to tell unless you get an x ray, the vet feels or you know when she was mated.
Being somewhat close, you may want to make sure she is in a room of her own and create a queening box for her. Find something large enough for her to lay in with her kittens. Make sure you have a blanket in there that is flat without any folds or spaces kittens can get lost in. She will probably let you know when its time. They usually get restless and then when its real close they will lay down and stay in one spot. You can see them having contractions just like humans do. Usually this means a kitten will come pretty quick. It is okay for you to stay with her for support, but dont give her any help unless she is having problems. Cats are usually very good at this and know exactly what they are doing, even if it's a first time.
Try these links

http://animal.discovery.com/cat_guide/pregnancy.html

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/kittening.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starblossom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sandie,

Thank you for your reply and the links. I have read and re-read and printed them all out. I am so worried about missing the begining of the birth. I went to take my girl to the vet to get her shots in Febuary and she just bolted and was gone for 4 days. The day I got her back I took her right to the vet and got her her shots. I also am waiting for my spay cirtificate to get here. cause she is going as soon as possible to get spayed. i am so nervous and excited about having kittens. I felt the kittens move for the first time yesterday. ( my daughter and her friend said they felt them moving a few days ago.) I went and calculated and she should be due around the 20th of this month.

Nervous gramma to be
Shannon

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is fun to have babies around. Just wait until they hit about 8 or 9 weeks...holey moley are they full of it!! I hope the birth goes well for all!! If you have any more ?'s at any time, please feel free to ask. Oh and make sure and give us updates on the whole thing!!