I Am Fostering Two Cats That Were Starved. Now She Keeps Binging And Purging

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering a 2 cats from a drug addict who neglected them and arrived very thin. As soon as I put good food down they ate the entire bowel. Both threw up immediately. One of the cats has recovered but one that worries me is the little black one who had major dietery issues {no fur at all on tail very bad and thin coat lethargic and would really throw up everything immediately and did this a lot} . Now it's gotten better, her rat tail is completely gone, but she still binge eats a little because she's nervous of a cat I have here. I keep this mean cat out as much as possible but she sneaks in and likes to give her a hard time so she won't eat all day then when the cats gone she will binge and throw up this large.. Mix of hairball thing and a little undigested food.

Her health has improved a lot since I got her but it's just when she does vomit once or twice a week it's really big and weird. It almost looks like poo.

Is there anything else I can do to help her relax? The bully cat is never allowed in the room when I'm around but it's my bfs favorite cat too. The foster stays near me at all times and they all have seperate food and water bowls and I even tried feeding her only healthy wet food but she denied it over dry.

She's clearly an abused little kitty she was much sicker than the other foster from the same owner. But this little kitty only comes out if I'm out because the bully cat is scared of me now. How can I make sure she gets her nutrients or calm her tummy down?

I would take her to a vet but currently all maxed out on carecredit and I test for dehydration frequently but I can'tget her to stop binging food even if I give her her owm bowl near the bed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless you for taking care of these cats!!

Keep feeding her separately, and for that matter keep her away from bully cat at all times.

You can put a golf ball, or similar sized ball in her bowl to help slow her down, or even buy a bowl specifically to slow down her eating. You can also give her a small bit of dry in a separate bowl and add some canned tuna water to it, or even try water.

She needs lots of reassurance, loving, cuddling, whatever - and NO time near bully guy. It's a very good sign she trusts you so much to brave her fears when you are there to protect her from the bully.

You can try some calming products with her as well, there are tons of them on the market. Just do an internet search for "cat calming products". There is a product line called Feliway, and another one I have heard people use on their cats before a vet visit - it is called Bach Rescue Remedy which are drops you can rub into a cat's ear. Not all work in all cats, so you may have to experiment with some different ones.

I know other members will come along with some advice when they have a chance to log on and see your post!!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of bowl do you use? If its round, then yes,she can gobble it up fast. Feed multiple times a day small amounts. Some cats only like pate or gravy and meat pieces. My cat Maggie will eat pate but not if its runny. One of my cats does not like fish so check the ingredients. Shredded chicken and broth my cats crave for the most. It's like eating fresh meat! When switching dry to canned slowly make the transition by mixing in more and more canned with dry. If you still have trouble take her to a vet

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing those poor kitties!! I would give her much tinier, more frequent meals. A toy that dispenses kibble slowly might help.
I would also try comfort grooming with a plastic or rubber human comb. Use small, swift "J" shaped strokes that imitate the mother cat's grooming of her tiny kittens. Focus especially on her neck and back. Please keep us posted on how things are going!!