I am deeply upset and guilty

Dtillet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys. I just recently took my 6 1/2 year old Manx to a new vet for her rabies shot. She has always received the one year purevax rabies shot. I did not even think to ask, or anything about the vaccine. I was under the assumption every vet used purevax vaccines for cats.
They gave her the elanco rabies shot in her scruff, which I was also unaware because I thought it was required to do it in the leg. I feel so so guilty for not asking.
I haven’t ate, drink or slept in 3 days. I’ve been reading so much about FISS and im so hurt. I never wanted that vaccine in her body and I feel like a terrible pet owner. I love this cat with all of my heart, she’s indoor only and is the best cat I’ve ever met. I’ve cried hard these past few days because I can’t process the thought of losing her due to my negligence. Im at a lost for words. I have horrible anxiety and my kind has convinced me she’s going to get it. Im not sure what to do or how to feel healthy again, I just can’t get over the fact that happened.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, welcome to TCS! :wave3: Second, I'm sorry you had this experience at the new vet when going there with your Manx for a rabies vaccine. Is she exhibiting any side effects or symptoms from the vaccine? If the answer is no then try not to worry. You are a loving cat parent and this was not intentional so please don't blame yourself. :hugs: However, if it were me I would call the new vet and first ask if they offer the Purevax vaccine, then ask why you weren't informed about the type of rabies vaccine they were giving her. If you have a rapport with your old vet you could call them for reassurance.

I'm sure you've been up researching the Elanco vaccine but I thought this article might have some helpful information for you:
Additives and adjuvants in animal vaccines

Best of luck, please keep us posted on her health. :alright: BTW, what's her name and do you have a pic?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Elanco is adjuvanted and therefore suspect in cases of FISS. However, statistics from various veterinary schools like Cornell and UF Gainesville have not shown that this is happening as often as the public might think. Statistics run in the range of 1 in 10,000 to 30,000 cats actually develop a sarcoma. I do understand that added to this is the fact that it was given in the scruff and not the leg or tail. Call the vet and express your fears and concerns and ask for their input/explanation of why they think that the Elanco is safe. I doubt that they are giving this vaccine if their experience has been that cats have developed sarcomas.

Most of these scenarios that we picture in our imagination do not occur, but they can be fueled by too much reading, especially online. Most side effects occur much more rarely than we think when we hear about them. You might consider speaking to Elanco directly unless you feel that would be more upsetting to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dtillet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes I am upset as I can’t reverse what happened. I’ve googled everything and saw the risk is kind of low for FISS, but the fact that there’s that higher risk in adjuvanted vaccines. I took her to a different vet yesterday, because I wanted to get a second opinion on a bump on her eye. The vet yesterday said it was just a cyst. I also talked to the vet about the rabies vaccine they gave her Friday , and she rubbed all around feeling for any lumps and could not find one. I don’t believe she has had any type of reaction to the vaccine, she’s been sleeping a lot but she normally does sleep a lot.
Ive been absolutely worried sick though, it’s been so rough on me. I try not to feel like I did, but I do feel like I failed her. Her name is Millie.
066D69B2-20A7-48BE-8D29-FF7DF451EF21.jpeg

Dtillet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t think I’ve cried this much in a while, and nothing has even happened yet. Just the thought of losing her at such a young age absolutely devastates me. She’s such a one of a kind, and super loving cat. I can’t focus on work or anything because this has bothered me that much. I did call the vet, and they said the vet would call me tomorrow and discuss it. I really hope the best for my Millie, and I am absolutely livid about this.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I can understand being angry since there was an option; additionally, you were not told that they were going to use the Elanco vaccine. Try not to jump from vacccine given to serious reaction when there is such a good chance that this will never occur.

If you read the fine print on almost all vaccines and medications you are going to find something that is upsetting. This includes human and canine products as well. We are all familiar with the TV ads for a product that treats a certain condition, accompanied by a very cheerful soundtrack and a scene of people having a great time while taking it. In the background, speaking quickly, is the voice that reminds you that this product could also kill you.

Millie is a beautiful little girl and I hope that you will be able to console yourself with the fact that you are not going to lose her at her young age. The fact that "nothing has happened yet" does not mean that it is going to happen if you wait long enough.

Dtillet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just want to say I appreciate you guys so much. I actually looked at her records from when I got her at the humane society and they gave her a 3 year killed vaccine and had the next rabies shot a year later. This breaks my heart that people don’t know how to vaccinate cats.
I live with very bad chronic anxiety and depression. She’s my little support animal. Thanks for easing my mind and letting me know it’s rare, I’ll go home and give her extra love and attention and apologize for being so upset. It’s been a very hard 3 years l.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Elanco is adjavanted and therefore suspect in cases of FISS. However, statistics from various veterinary schools like Cornell and UF Gainesville have not shown that this is happening as often as the public might think. Statistics run in the range of 1 in 10,000 to 30,000 cats actually develop a sarcoma. I do understand that added to this is the fact that it was given in the scruff and not the leg or tail. Call the vet and express your fears and concerns and ask for their input/explanation of why they think that the Elanco is safe. I doubt that they are giving this vaccine if their experience has been that cats have developed sarcomas.
Several years ago, a veterinary immunologist at UF surveyed veterinarians worldwide to find out their favorite vaccine injection locations. The top pick was the end of a cat's tail because if a vaccine-associated sarcoma (VAS) develops amputation would not cause a disability and cats do tolerate it. So she studied injecting the rabies vaccine in tails. It worked. After reading the article, I wondered why Americans did not get this idea decades ago. It seems like a no-brainer to me. But a former British shorthair breeder (not a TCS member) thinks the rear legs have much better veins for giving cats shots than the tail does.

I have never heard of FISS. Is that just another name for VAS?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The vet that vaccinated is what is way behind the times. I wouldn't use him again. I haven't vaccinated a cat in the scruff since the late 1980's. It is frustrating that some vets still practice this.

So, what is done is done. You can't go back in time and change anything. So, my telling you not to worry won't actually help you not to worry. I know because I worry about allot of things all the time. One thing though, I have learned is that sometimes what you fear is what you find. Try not to dwell on it because it won't change anything, and who knows what the stress of it will do to you and your cat.

You have learned a valuable lesson here about Veterinarians and who knows, this might save your cat's life in the future.

I am sorry this happened to your cat and you. The actual incidence of a vaccine associated sarcoma is slim. They do happen but often it is with repeated vaccinations.

Enjoy your cat and let her have fun and enjoy life with you. If you get her vaccinated again, you will be sure to check everything first.

I know this is hard to do . But try.
She is beautiful!!

Dtillet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been trying to just calm down and love on her. It is hard, as I feel ashamed when I look at her. I can’t help but expect the worse.

ive actually just noticed a lump in her scruff area, it’s hard to tell how big it is, but is this normal after a vaccination to have a lump? I read sarcomas take a while to form and generally don’t form right after thevaccine

Dtillet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also, me and Millie are staying at my moms for a week while I try to calm my mind and get out of this depressive episode.
also, how long does the frvcp vaccine last? I got hers two years ago and just noticed she was a month past due, but I was aware these vaccines should only be given every 3 years.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So obviously these are really questions that are good to give your new bed. But I can tell you what I do personally is I start my cat out when they are young with the FERCP series using the pure vac‘s of course and I don’t personally do rabies and I don’t vaccinate for leukemia. But that being said my cards are strictly indoors and I do understand it’s a risk if they were to get out but where I live if they were to get out and again anyway. I’m by no means saying this is what you should do. Just stating what I do. And yes it does usually take a sarcoma a while to develop and like I said it’s usually with repeated vaccines I honestly think you’re OK here but I would still get the lump checked out by your new vet.

i’m doing talk to text here so please excuse any misspellings. I also have struggled with depression and anxiety and I know it’s not fun at all. And it sucks when we start to obsess on things that we really have no control over. Believe me when I tell you I’ve been there myself. The bump could just be a tiny little bit of information from the vaccine but I would still get it looked at.

Dtillet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will have the vet look at it. This all just makes me so upset and sick to my stomach. I very much hope she’ll be okay. Trying to have good faith still but after feeling a lump it made me sink deeper into being upset 😢

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A lump immediately at a vaccine site is usually inflammation or a response from the immune system. They normally go away on their own over time. It may not be overnight, so don't get upset about that part, but they do away.

Remember that there are a lot of theories about ISS or FISS as researchers try to iron it all out. Another one is that the development of the sarcoma appeared to have a genetic predisposition, so that narrows it down even more.

I basically do what S silent meowlook does which is the FVRCP vaccine as all my cats are indoor only. However, years ago I certainly remember my vet at the time giving vaccines in the scruff of the neck and nothing ever happened.

An adult cat who is fully vaccinated with the FVRCP vaccine only needs the booster every three years. Some vets still send yearly reminder cards though.........

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
An adult cat who is fully vaccinated with the FVRCP vaccine only needs the booster every three years. Some vets still send yearly reminder cards though
The yearly reminders are for the rabies vaccine, which is required by law in many states but medically useless for most indoor-only cats. I have asked multiple vets about giving it every three years instead of annually. They always say the annual shot is more effective, but it makes no difference. GRRR!

Dtillet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update. Went to the vet today to talk about the injection in the scruff and why he uses elanco. He said due to recent research there’s no confirmation that adjuvunted cause sarcomas any more than non-adjuvant vaccines. There was a printout from the aafp he showed me stating “ although in the beginning we believed adjuvant vaccines caused sarcomas, due to more recent bigger studies, it shows no connection to with the adjuvant causing sarcomas.” He said he does the scruff because it’s more comfortable to the cat and the risk of sarcomas are so very low he doesn’t really worry about it due to the rarity, and not knowing for sure.

this really blew my mind after all I’ve read, he basically has no problem doing it even though I’ve brought it up. All I know is if my cat developes one of these, I may go to prison 😡

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't care how "comfortable" it is; no veterinarian should ever stick needs into the the scruff, where a VAS would be inoperable if one developed because surgery gone wrong can paralyze that cat. Injecting a microchip is safe because it is only skin deep and millions of pets get one.

I am not a risk taker. Once I talked my vet out of giving a cat the rabies vaccine by explaining there is no chance she will ever go outside or live with another animal. He totally agreed with me, saying she will not get an infection but warned me if my cat bites someone she is required to be quarantined for 10 days without the rabies shot.

Last edited:

Dtillet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m also not a risk taker, and I still feel very upset.

I cried up at the vet office trying to explain to him cause I’m genuinely that upset. As I said, Millie is my whole world and I wish you guys could meet her cause you would fall in love with her. She’s my first cat, and I got so lucky. Pets just don’t stay with us long enough and I very much hope all my worrying is for nothing.
I lost my best friend, shay at 12. She was a black lab and died of liver failure due to the medications they had her on a few years ago. It hurt me very very much as she was our family dog and I grew up with her. I am a 24 yo malso she was there most of my life!
I see Millie as more though, as she’s my first actual pet, and no matter how I feel all I have to do is lay with her. I don’t have many friends, and have a terrible time dating lol. It doesn’t matter though cause I know Millie will always be there to make me feel better.

the anxiety of what if’s makes me beyond sick, and I can’t stay off of google no matter how much I’ve already read.

sorry for my long post, I just feel people here love their cats as much as I do, and I’ve been super emotional.

much love to all you guys writing post and making me feel better and talking with me, you guys are super awesome.

Attachments