I Am Constantly Feeling Guilty

Omardufromage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, so my fiance recently adopted a wonderful 8 week old orange tabby we named Meatball. He is extremely playful and such a cuddly and loving thing already. My only issue is that I have a 14 year old tabby who I took in after my mother passed. She always used to have cat friends and got along with other cats but even after using the introduction methods the little one keeps pouncing on her and making her meow and run in fear. I keep them separated and do short visits but I feel so guilty and horrible on the inside like I am letting her down and just creating a bad environment and I am lost and don't know what to do anymore.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It will take a while for your older cat to accept the kitten. How long have you had the kitten? My cat was 16 when I brought a new kitten home. There was a lot of hissing and spitting for more than a month but they got used to each other and became friends. Don't give up, patience is the answer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Omardufromage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It will take a while for your older cat to accept the kitten. How long have you had the kitten? My cat was 16 when I brought a new kitten home. There was a lot of hissing and spitting for more than a month but they got used to each other and became friends. Don't give up, patience is the answer
Was it something you just let them work out or did you let them see each other over supervised visits until things clicked?

Omardufromage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I allowed them a short visit today and I kept praising my older cat and telling her how much I love her while the little one roamed around. She didn't want to be anywhere near him and he did pounce on her once which made her meow and try to get away from him. I seperated them after that and now the little one is playing in his own area.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your doing a good job. Keep giving them supervised time together and they will get used to each other. Your doing the right thing in praising your older cat, there's bound to be a little jealousy. They need to learn how to play together and that may be something you can teach them, time consuming I know but well worth it.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your doing a good job. Keep giving them supervised time together and they will get used to each other. Your doing the right thing in praising your older cat, there's bound to be a little jealousy. They need to learn how to play together and that may be something you can teach them, time consuming I know but well worth it.

Omardufromage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How would I go about teaching them that? I have used a toy and they both semi played with it until he pounced on her, then playtime was over :(.

Omardufromage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had another supervised session tonight and it seemed to be a little better! My older one sat on the couch arm while he played with the wand as I praised her. She enjoyed a couple bats at it too! He still tried to jump all over her but she gave him a growl and only swatted once and he seemed to get the message! Not sure if that's improvement over her hissing and running or not but at least she seems more playful!

Omardufromage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my older cat seems to tolerate when the kitten is around and only hisses/growls if he punces or pretty much gets close. She does, however, always seem annoyed/stressed whenever they are in the same room and doesn't even bother with things that have his scent. Is this normal behavior that will change overtime with continued visits or am I missing Something?

Omardufromage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today they both slept on my bed apart from each other for about two hours then about 30 minutes later my kitten approached my older cat and my older cat bit him hard on the ear. There wasn't any blood or puncture holes but he did let out a loud yip.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Today they both slept on my bed apart from each other for about two hours then about 30 minutes later my kitten approached my older cat and my older cat bit him hard on the ear. There wasn't any blood or puncture holes but he did let out a loud yip.
Still pretty normal. The older cat reaction tells the kitten that she will be tolerated but that doesn’t mean that they are friends.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Totally normal and you are doing a great job! Sometimes they just need "time out" and need to be separated. Sometimes my boy cat gets too wild and they will be playing one minute and the next minute he is on the other one, biting her neck, etc. Then he gets "time out" and has to be separated into another room.

Omardufromage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's great to hear I am ding the right thing when I have had so much anxiety over this. MEATBALL is currently playing with the wand while my older cat sits on the couch next to me watching! Thank you all so much for your insight so far!

Omardufromage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today seemed like a big set back. We were having a supervised visit like normal and my little one just kept trying to attack my older cat. I don't believe she wants to hurt him at all when he does it but I think he will just keep doing it because of That! Is there any way I can help make him stop without stressing her out so much? This was after an hour of play time too when he seemed to be getting tired :(.

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey so sorry you did not have any answer. How are things now? Not sure to understand your message: your problem was that the new cat play attacks the older cat which annoys her?