I am absolutely heartbroken and regretful over my Meela having to be put down

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
New babies at one week. All looking good and healthy. I didn't think the eyes opened until around 2 weeks, but the black little girl and one white one have an eye open already. I am so in love with them.
1wksmlr.JPG

fodder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You definitely made the right choice. There is no question about it. It is never an easy choice to make but you made the right one. Sometimes there is just nothing you can do to cure them. The thing that matters is that you loved her and you did all you could to help her. No one could ever ask for more from a pet owner. In fact, you are the very best type of pet owner, one that will do what ever they can for their pet and that's probably why she was gifted to you in the first place.

I know it's hard to not feel bad but just remember that you are in fact awesome for all you did for her and i hope many more animals find their way in to your care in the future. I am in awe of your strength to do what was best for her.

It's going to be hard to think about for a long time but i hope you feel better soon. Just know that you DID do the right thing, there is no question there at all.
:alright: :grouphug:

Seems like you have a new bunch to deal with now haha. Congratulations. They look beautiful!:catrub::clap:

Last edited:

Jason607

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Meelasmom I'm so sorry for all the recent string of losses you and your family have been going through. I cannot even imagine losing that many pets close to me in such a short amount of time. Suffice to say, I sure its been beyond difficult for you. From reading your posts I have no doubt regarding how dedicated you were to Meela. The thing is when you love your pets to the level you loved her, you always wonder about the "what ifs." You never stop wondering "if you could have done more" because you love them so much.

When we were doing our diagnostics for Mew Mew (she had a rare form of stomach cancer) we kept second guessing ourselves as well. We consulted our emergency vet, then a very respected oncologist in the area. But because we wanted to be absolutely sure that there was nothing we could do, we took their opinions and test results and sent it to another radiologist. When he came to the same conclusion we contacted our regular cat only vet and asked for his opinion. He also gave the same prognosis as the others.

The point I'm making is that when your a pet parent with dedication such as yourself, you will never stop wondering about the "what if's." Don't let that fool you into thinking you didn't do everything possible because you did. Most "pet lovers" wouldn't go to half the effort you put in if their pet was sick. So trust me you went above and beyond for Meela. You can also look at it from a cold and logical perspective. Your veterinarian must have been a real animal lover and must have truly thought Meela had no chance because:

A. If he wasn't an animal lover who was just in it for the money, he would have kept recommending more treatments/procedures to line his pocket.

B. Since he was an animal lover he must have thought that keeping Meela alive would only cause her suffering. Hence, he recommenced putting her to sleep.

You did the right thing by letting her pass away. Do not second guess yourself. You now have some new babies in this world that need loving. As you said yourself, Meela loved kittens. I cant think of a better way for you to honor Meela then to take care of your new furry babies with the same love that you gave Meela.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2weeks.JPG
Here are my new little friends at 2 weeks as of july 20th. The little black girl didn't want to look at the camera. The two in the front are solid white males. The one in the back corner is my sweet little girl. I don't know what I am going to name her since I really don't know her personality just yet.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No. Meela's mom and dad (Abby and Meeka) had a new litter of them.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am keeping one. The other three might already have homes lined up.

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel,when you think you are the guilty one that made the wrong decision for Meela. She knows that you loved her and still do! I am glad to hear that she has visited you.She will always continue to do that.She knows how very much you need to feel her around.You know that she is no longer suffering.She is with my Omelette.and Lola at the Bridge. They will wait for us to join them.It has been very hard for me the last six months.I am missing Omelette more and more.I cry for her all day.I look for her to come into the kitchen to watch what I am doing,and to ask for food.I see her out of the corner of my eye,and I talk to her.Meela will be with you forever,in your heart.She will visit to let you know she is there for you.I am sending lots of hugs to you.We will love these precious kitties for eternity.

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just saw the four beautiful kittens!They are so darling.Enjoy the one you have chosen to give a most loving home to!She will bring joy to your heart!Congrats to you on her arrival.Thank you for taking an interest in Omelette!Hug those kittens for me!

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Kittylove! I was going to post the week 3 photo of the babies, but there was not one very good picture. :(. They are starting to wrestle each other. I still miss Meela so very much.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well tomorrow it will be 4 long sad months since I lost my beautiful, sweet Meela. The heartache and break is still there. But today is the 4 week birthday of the new babies. Here they are:
BABIESAUG17 4 WEEKS A.JPG
Little guy who wasn't facing in other pics.
BABIESAUG17 4 WEEKS Bgirl.JPG
My beautiful little GIRL!
BABIESAUG17 4 WEEKS blackbeauty.JPG
BABIESAUG17 4 WEEKS gang.JPG
Black Beauty, who looks sad and then the other little guy on top of my little girl. There is no way to know if any will have the blue/green eyes like their dad and like Meela had. Their eyes should change in the next few weeks if it is to happen at all.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww thank you Antonio.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
They are so so cute, that is wonderful! Deb & I for the longest time talked about how cool it would be to have an all white kitty and name it "Snowball", but I doubt that is going to happen; we have to stay where we are with 9, it is a lot of work and money wise a lot too, and we have a pretty calm house now so running the risk of adding one more could upset the whole apple cart, plus the way they are going they might outlive us lol!!!

What sweetie pies! I'd love to see an all white cat next to my tuxedo boy Sylvester, that would look so cool to me!

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a scare this morning. I got up and Abby came out to go eat, leaving the babies. Three of the four were up and playing. The fourth just laid there. I poked and rubbed his belly and he didn't move. I flipped his feet a little and nothing. I picked him up and his head just rolled over like he was completely limp. So I held him close and stroked under his chin with tears in my eyes. I thought he was dead. Just then he looked at me and started stretching. That little weasel!

I have thought all along that one male might be deaf and I am really thinking this one is. I was so happy that I actually started crying. I held him a minute and put him back with his siblings and he took off playing. Brianna, my daughter, who was Meeka's former owner, told me that he did the exact same thing when he was little. She said he's just lazy, but holy cow, that really scared me! I am just happy that there wasn't something wrong. I may have to do the vacuum cleaner test to see who hears it. That might change things as far as who stays. I am definitely keeping my baby girl, but I am not sure that I can let a deaf one go..