I am absolutely heartbroken and regretful over my Meela having to be put down

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Natalie. I appreciate your kind words. I have really been thinking about her a lot lately since Abby (her mom) is due next week for her litter of babies. I so hope there will be a little white girl. I will never feel like I did the right thing. I just can't justify it. If she even had a 50% chance of getting better or even a 1%, I should have ran with it for a few days. I acted too quickly. None of it was fair..not to her or to me. She didn't understand why she wasn't well and she certainly didn't understand why I didn't leave with her and take her home. She was so lively wanting to leave, like "come on Mom, lets get out of here". That day will always haunt me. I know that is still could have been the end result of her not making it, but not that day. It was the wrong time. I am very sorry you lost your Spencer. The loss of an animal is so hard!

Inkysmom:

Yes, I certainly have had a fair share of animals. I think you had your "sign", which I believe we all get. Whether it's a dream or that feeling of the cat being with you on your bed or near you, I feel like there is a sign given that they are still there in spirit. Last night I swear a couple cats jumped up on the bed with me. There were none in my room! It was so real. I just answered, "ok guys lets go to bed now". This has happened to be several times in the last few years. I know that it had to be Meela after she died. Mostly because she slept with me every night. Most times she slept above my head on a pillow and I didn't realize it until morning. The movement then felt like she was jumping up on the bed and going to that same spot.

I haven't had the dreams like you, but sometimes I do feel she is with me. Surprisingly, it doesn't help a lot with my guilt because I keep thinking that she should be here with me for real - alive.

My biggest crying moment now is visualizing her being at the Rainbow Bridge. But she is sitting there just waiting and watching for me...wondering where I am and why haven't I come yet.

My daughter lost her cat yesterday morning. She called me crying around 9:30am. This is the same daughter who lost her dog to Parvo a few weeks back.

Izzy - Isabelle - Went outside with my granddaughter who is 7. She was on the porch with here when Mya ran in the house to get something. Mya said she ran in and then right back out. When she came out she saw Izzy lying in the road in a pool of blood. She got her parents and they thought at first she got hit by a car. Izzy was hit by a car a few years ago and had to have surgery on her jaw. About 6 months later she would get an abscess around her jaw that would come and go. It drained somehow. The vet told her that as long as it took care of itself, she would be ok.

Lyndsey said that when they looked at her, she had what looked like a blow out around her jaw and neck. She thinks maybe she had a stroke and the abscess exploded. She said she wasn't dirty or appeared to have gotten hit. Plus, no one heard or saw any cars in that time frame.

My heart broke for her and Mya. Izzy slept with Mya every single night and she was a beautiful 2-tone brown with blue eyes. She liked me and could sense I was a cat lover because she always came to me to be pet. Lyn asked me this morning if it was kharma losing pets the way she has...I told her no.

She did get a puppy a couple weeks ago that has helped her with the loss of losing Harley. This one is a girl named Luna. She is so sweet and smart. I will try to get a picture of her and post it.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you meela mom and Antonio for your kind words. Meelasmom I'm so sorry for your daughter losing her cat so quickly and so soon after losing her dog. In 2015 I lost one cat on May 1, just 2 days before my birthday, another cat Fawn June 9 and then my mom's cat Emerald who I had for years and helped raise from a feral kitten at the end of July I think the 27. It was a horrible summer. All the remaining cats got sick with some viral thing from the stress and I had to medicate them all for a month or two and inky got diagnosed with diabetes, otitis in both ears and chronic skin infections so needed constant medications and vet trips and I had to lock him on the bathroom to tame him because he was still feral and wouldn't let me touch him so scratched and drew blood from me whenever I medited him at first.I did tame him and the remaining 4 cats started to get healthy then in august of 2015 my beloved dog started to have trouble walking and rapidly went downhill with a horrible progressive incurable spine disease called degenerative myelopathy. On top of that he got attacked and hurt worse while leashed and doing better with me one night by a vicious loose dog and was much worse from the puncture wounds of the bites. He eventually died on February 22, 2016 after me carrying him with slings and harnesses and doing everything to help him. Then my mom's other cat Tiger suddenly got sick and died October 2016 of cancer and now Inky who I fought so hard to tame abs get and keep healthy and save even through all his pet siblings dying.
He had two abscesses related to his cancer and had to have surgery to drain them. Abscesses are very serious infections and I never saw or noticed them through his thick black fur I just brought him in because he'd been lethargic and not eating which was very unusual for him as he was a huge foodie. If there weren't symptoms or a noticeable mass to bring in the cat for, there's not much your daughter could have done. The vets told me abcesses are likely to recur until the source that's causing them is treated.
But of course it's not karma. Unless I'm an awful person and it's karma that I've lost 5 cats and my beloved dog in 2 years, and 3 cats in 3 months in 2015. I think it's more of that syndrome that married couples get when they've been together their whole lives and then die within a short time of each other. Broken heart syndrome. The stress and loss of their companion is too much and their immune system and will to live just can't go on. Mine were also all older between 14 and 16 for all the cats but Tiger who was only 12. And my dog was almost 12 which is a good age for a large dog.
But diseases can kill young pets too. I've heard that parvo is almost impossible to survive especially in young dogs. And infections can kill at any age. The first of my cats to die 2 years ago, Mandy, died of a massive infection from a ruptured anal sac, but it spread and caused gangrene throughout her tail and hind legs and kept spreading no matter what they did. Surgeries and massive strong antibiotics did nothing so after 5 days of fighting I had to put her to sleep. They thought she might have had underlying cancer somewhere but there was no point in putting her through more tests.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Such a sad, sad day for our family. My daughter got her puppy a few weeks back after she lost Harley. her name was Luna. She was beautiful and so smart. Everyone loves her and she loves everyone. Lyndsey was doing so much better with Luna. Luna made everything better.

This morning Lyndsey stopped at our house just devastated. She could hardly get the words out..Luna is gone. We couldn't understand what she was saying. Then she said Luna is dead.

They were at camp and there was an old fold up couch that Luna was on. We aren't sure of the details but someone folded up the couch with Luna in it. She either suffocated or her neck was broke.

Lyn was only gone 20 minutes, leaving her in the care of the ones left at camp. No one knows how or why it happened. When Lyn got back she came in directly to get Luna and they couldn't find her. She asked where she was and was told on the bed.

She noticed it folded up and pulled it out. Line's body fell to the ground. She tried CPR but nothing would bring her back.

She is truly devastated as we all are, but more so her. My heart breaks for her so badly. I don't know what to say or do for her. I am crying with her.

In the few short weeks she had her, she changed everything. She gave her hope and love and helped fill the hole in her heart.

That's 5 animals since March. Lyn 2 dogs and 1 cat, I lost Meela and my son's girlfriend or 2 years lost her dog.

This is too much. I am truly at a loss for words right now. I k ow it was a horrible, horrible accident and that no one would deliberately hurt that puppy on purpose but it doesn't change the fact that she is gone.

We need prayers right now because I am not sure how she will get through one.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to read this. I'm saying prayers for all of you. What a horrible accident. I personally lost 3 cats in 3 months in 2015 and 6 in the past 2 months and this were all my own so I can empathize with your and your family's pain. My best friend's cat is lost and missing for months but that doesn't really count since I never met him as she lives a couple of hours away. She just told me many stories of her cats and sent lots og pictures. Again I'm so sorry.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Its truly unbelievable that this actually happened. I have words for Lyn and wish there was something I could do for her. :(

deidrahall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, I wish I could do something to confort you, but I know too well that nothing but time can do it.
You did the right thing. I know, this is just my opinion, but I think that I am right in this. Meela had an illness which not only did not have a cure, but was causing her pain and suffering. You did what was best for her (stopping her pain and making her cross the Rainbow Bridge as pacefully as possible, surrounded by your love) instead of doing what you really wanted (take her home and enjoy whatever time she had left). You did this out of love, you did something for her that most humans would want to do for themselves if it where legal, making her leave this world with as little pain as possible.
Do not feel guilty. No vet would have recommended you to put her to sleep if there were any chances of her getting better. He could have made you pay much more money by keeping treating her till her natural death, but he told you it was better for her to do what you did. So, believe him, and believe us. You took the most generous option, the most painful for you.
Thanks a lot for sharing your story with us, I hope our love can help you soften the sharp edge of sadness which is cutting your heart now.
Alejandra you said it best. Your words hit home for me too just having to put down my dear Noney only last month.

We feel for you Meelas mom :hugs: Only time will heal the wounds and your heart. Meela knew you loved her, absolutely :alright:

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, my! I am so very sorry, your familly is going through a very bad luck period. I hope it is finnished now and that you all can have some peace and happyness.
People in the camp should have been more careful, that is undeniable, I cannot understand how can anyone fold a ver with a cat on it without noticing...
I am sending you all mi love and positive vibes.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. Luna was a 9 week old puppy so she wasn't tiny but my understanding now is that she was in the blankets. She was just so beautiful and smart. Everyone who met her just fell in love with her. We are all deeply hurting over this. What a horrible, horrible accident. It never should have happened.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Deidrahall thank you. I still miss my girl so very much. These deaths seem to open that wound up. I loved her so much and my heart still aches.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All:
I decided to post here instead of going to a new board or new thread. Although I am still grieving some days so much more than others for Meela and in tribute to her I wanted to announce our new babies.
smaller.JPG

There are two all white boys, one solid black girl and one all white girl. I wanted a little white girl and would be grateful if she had the blue and green eye like Meela, but will settle for her being a white girl. I don't think she is deaf because there is a tiny black puff of hair on her head. Apparently that can indicate if a one is deaf or not. Now the two boys...I didn't see any black hairs so we will wait and see.

I am so sad Meela is not here for them because she LOVED babies. She would have loved these too. Abby is in her glory as a mom again. She is absolutely the best mom I have seen. All 4 are doing well and are very healthy looking. I can't wait to see who has what eye coloring.

I picked up the baby girl last night and kissed her little head and whispered..."I love you so much already"

Sadly for my friend who was asking about a tuxedo one...there is not one this time.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Part of me would love the little black girl!!! It's been so many years since I had a kitten and I've had only male pets since my mom's beautiful feral female cat died of mammary cancer in 2015. A kitten would cheer up the house again and my beautiful Inky and my mom's Emmy were black. I have a black horse and wanted a black dog, but he kind of lightened after I got him to chocolate/silver /blackish/brown and of course I love him so much of never not keep him no matter what. Especially because such a shallow reason as color.
Bit I keep hearing and reading that people don't want black kitties because they're superstitious and they're so affectionate and loving! !! I'm trying so hard to be responsible financall and pay off all my bills and credit and stick to just to just my 2 lonely depressed cats and 1 dog until my finances and job and money situation are better.
But a sweet feisty kitten would get all my boys playing and silly again and bring laughter to the place again and my 2 remaining cats are so good with kittens. My dog is awesome with little dogs and puppies and cats so would be fine as well. And I love black kitties like my beloved Inky and Emmy so much.
I'm happy for you that you got your kittens though!

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had a few black cats and they really are no different than the others, at least in my experience. But this one is solid black...no white anywhere. I can't wait to see her eyes, too. Can you imagine one with different color eyes?

I am not superstitious, so the color doesn't worry me. Black is beautiful, just like any other color. :) I love it when they start running around raising a ruckus...so cute. I am hoping this little girl I am claiming is healthy and helps me fill this void I have. She will never replace Meela, but she sure can help put a smile back on my face. I have so many hopes and dreams for her already. Crazy?

Thank you for your happiness for me...I feel like I really need this.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
You deserve the happiness the right or any kitten will bring you.
Ive just heard that black cats were extremely affectionate. Maybe propaganda from shelters desprate to find the homes. But the 2 completely feral ones I tamed were extremely loving once tamed, more so than some other cats I've had so who knows

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for saying that.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All:
I decided to post here instead of going to a new board or new thread. Although I am still grieving some days so much more than others for Meela and in tribute to her I wanted to announce our new babies.
What a wonderful picture!
A feral cat brought her four kittens in my yard, I'm feeding them all.
They're amazing, each of them has its own personality. One of them is black when seen from a distance, but gets very dark brown from a close distance and under the light, and has some tabby pattern.
She's the smallest of the litter, very thin, with big ears and big round eyes and I'm in love with her :loveeyes:
I can understand your happiness :)

Last edited:

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you post pictures? Abby's babies were born on July 6th.

I am SO happy for you Antonio! It is exciting, isn't it? The little white girl is the smallest in this litter too. We deserve this!! I haven't' really thought of names yet. I might need to know the personality first. :)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post pictures? Abby's babies were born on July 6th.

I am SO happy for you Antonio! It is exciting, isn't it? The little white girl is the smallest in this litter too. We deserve this!! I haven't' really thought of names yet. I might need to know the personality first. :)
Yes, meelasmom, it's absolutely exciting!
After Pallina, they are my second thought during the day. I wake up and go to them as soon as possible, then I say them goodnight before going to bed.
They were born on April 24th, they are 11 weeks 1 day old now. They have been dewormed ten days ago, and on past Saturday they have been visited by the vet and got their first shot of vaccine and a spot-on each for parasites(*). I also treated their mom and dad for parasites. They are costing me a fortune! :eek2:
As for the names, three of them have a name already, the little black one not yet. And of course these won't be their permanent name, I'm planning to rehome them all, so the new owners will pick a name for them.
I will post some photos, maybe in a new thread so I won't hijack yours.

(*) forgive my poor knowledge of your language, how do you call the booklet where the vet reports the vaccinations and treatments done, spaying date and other surgeries and all the details of the pet (name, sex, breed, birth date, microchip, etc)? We in Italy have a booklet with all this info, the booklet stays with the owner. Thanks!

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you thinking of a shot record? That's what I call it..lol. Very exciting for you!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you thinking of a shot record? That's what I call it..lol. Very exciting for you!
It's not just for keeping trace of the shots, it's for everything that the vet does to your pet. So it's for vaccinatios, of course, but also for FIV/FeLV tests, deworming, any kind of surgery (spaying, teeth removal, etc), allergies, in addition to a first page with pet's details, microchip (photo is optional) and owner's details.