I-131 Treatment For Hyperthyroid Cat

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since your baby is going in a week before mine, please let me know how things go. Thanks

Angell Hospital in Boston does the Blood and Xray on Day 1, Ultrasound to determine tumor and I-131 dosage size on Day 2, I-131 Day 3.....I can take her home on Day 6.
No scintigraphy?
It is necessary to assess if other masses of hyperthyroid migrated to other parts of the cat's body.
If you read on the web you'll find that it is highly recommended.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I never heard of a scintograpbhy. If there was any reaszon to worry about thyroid cancer being spread to other organs, the ultrasound would pick it up.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never heard of a scintograpbhy. If there was any reaszon to worry about thyroid cancer being spread to other organs, the ultrasound would pick it up.

Radioactive iodine is absorbed by unencumbered thyroid tissue, and by tumours which are iodine-avid. Whole-body scintigraphy is routinely performed after the administration of high-level therapeutic Iodine 131 dosages because the presence of the isotope acts as an radiotracer to find very small tumour deposits which are effectively transparent to standard diagnostics. It's also used as a strictly preoperative, pre-remediative diagnostic tool in patients with thyroid papillary carcinomas or papillary adenocarcinomas, and in patients with follicular thyroid Cancers.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not at all, an ultrasound scan would not reveal small masses spread in the chest, where they normally spread in case of a HT.
The scintigraphy is done PRIOR to the I-131 treatment. It is necessary to assess if the adenoma is confined to the thyroid gland or some tiny masses have spread in lungs.

In order to do that, the patient (the cat) receives an IV of a radioactive isotope, which is pertechnetate, a tracking material that binds to cancer cells in the thyroid and external masses, and to salivary glands. In fact, the scintigraphy image will show darkened spots, two of them will be symmetrical, they are the salivary glands. All other spots will be the cancer masses. If the cat is lucky, only one spot will show in its neck. In the worst case scenario you will see tiny spots in the lungs.

By looking at the image, the vet will know how much I-131 to inject and what to expect afterwards.

No ultrasound, X-ray or else can give the vet the same details.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
With a young cat, I would definitely look into the radioactive treatment as it will save you years of stress....you and the cat. I have only treated very elderly cats for hyperthyroidism and used the meds. They were safely crushed and eaten with Weruva BFF food for the duration of the treatment which was about two years. Treating a low thyroid, IF that happens, is not as bad. Where radiation is involved they have to warn you that there can be unexpected results, even if they almost never happen...human and animal. We live in a very litigious society and no one wants to get sued so we over inform about circumstances that rarely occur.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
That is correct. A nurse practitioner told me researchers are required to report the side effect ONE person had during their study.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to give some updates, concerns and observations. Also, writing this is self-therapeutic too. (And Antonio65, I love my Colnago bike. I spent a lot of time and love building her)

Onyx is doing well. 13 days until she goes in for the I-131 I feel pretty good that I got her into the program within 2 months of her diagnosis. There is a place closer to me than the Boston facility but the wait time is an additional 3 months (November 26th).

Onyx hasn't vomited since I discontinued the Methimazole. I guess she was in the 15% category that doesn't tolerate the medication. By the time she goes in for the I-131 she will have been off all meds for 25 days.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TELL ME I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG OR OFFER A DIFFERENT OPINION HERE - Her appetite can anywhere from ravenous to disinterested. She eats about 2 full cans of food daily, over 6-8 feedings. She eats the Merrick Limited Ingredient wet foods. The Duck and Chicken are both high in animal protein and low carbs. My other cat will overeat so I take the food away when Onyx is done eating. Sometimes she tells me she is hungry, but doesn't want to eat any of the flavors we have. (many days I got 4 cans of open food). Last night I made my own cat food. I bought Organic Skinless Chicken Breasts and Chicken Hearts and Gizzards, cooked them almost completely. I then put it all in a blender and added water and made about a dozen good containers of chicken mash. Both girls were given a sample and LOVE it. I'll start adding more into their diet...

Onyx may actually be PUTTING ON weight right now. Am I wrong to try and keep her belly so full? Even before the HT diagnosis Onyx was my daily alarm clock. Around 430-5am Onyx will nuzzle up to my chin and curl up into a purring fuzzball. If I move away she just schooches closer. As the HT kicked in my daily wake up call has gone to 3am, to 1am....Now I keep a bowl of wet food in the nightstand. When she wakes me at 1am I just pull the draw open and get her something to eat. This method works great, I hope she doesn't think it will continue post-I131.

Last observation and question. - Onyx is pooping ok. She is pooping about the amount she would of her normal diet, but unfortunately she is eating 2x's that currently. I've also noticed that her skin/body is starting to have a foreign smell. Hard to describe, but she smells a little metallic-like. I'm sure it is because her body is running like a little furnace inside.

13 days to she goes in for treatment...the time can't go by fast enough. I hate seeing her like this. (Thanks for listening to me vent)

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update. Youi obviously made the right decision to stop medications because she is doing fine and not throwing up.

There is only one thing that concerns me now: cooking raw meat. They call it raw for a reason - that is how cats should eat it. Ovens are nutrient death beds.

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! Onyx is just melting away on me. She only has 3 days before her I-131 treatment but I'm blown away by how the hyperthyroid is ravaging her.

I feed her 2-3 cans of food daily. Everytime she looks at me I put some food down for her, constantly trying to see if she'll eat....and she does. That being said I can feel her ribs now, and the tops of her spine I can feel now when petting her.

Due to her sensitivity to the Methimazole she has been off all meds for 22 days now. I'll be anxious to learn where her T4 levels are at. She is pretty happy, purring all the time. Pretty comfortable sleeping. Monday just can't come soon enough for us both

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Onyx! It sounds like the treatment will be really great for her.

I wish I could give you an update on Wendy, but the MSU vets don't think she actually has hyperthroidism! I'm waiting for more results and I want to talk to them again before moving forward...with whatever I decide to do. Not being hyperthroid is a good thing of course, but if that's the case I have to figure out what else is causing her symptoms.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Onyx! It sounds like the treatment will be really great for her.

I wish I could give you an update on Wendy, but the MSU vets don't think she actually has hyperthroidism! I'm waiting for more results and I want to talk to them again before moving forward...with whatever I decide to do. Not being hyperthroid is a good thing of course, but if that's the case I have to figure out what else is causing her symptoms.
I no sooner post this then I get a call that her bloodwork came back as definitively showing that she DOES have hyperthroidism. So our appointment is rescheduled for 2 weeks from Monday. Sorry I couldn't give you more information before Onyx's procedure. I'm hoping for the best for her!

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just checked Onyx in a few hours ago. The staff at Angell Memorial (Boston) said they do this every 3 weeks and take in about 5-8 cats per. 1 doctor, 2 nurses are the only ones allowed into the (dog free) ward. The vet believed that I caught it super-early which bodes well for Onyx. According to plans I can pick her Saturday morning. I do miss her already, but this is for the best.

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the vet has called me every day with an update, and her assistants have send me pictures a few of the days. (Although - I didn't like the pictures as she seems scared in them).

The scintigraphy revealed that Onyx had tumors on both sides of her thyroid, though they were on the small side. The vet said she received the minimal dosage of I-131 and expects her to be CURED by her 1 month blood panel.

She is coming home tomorrow morning and I couldn't be happier.

Laura304

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat ended up having a terrible allergic reaction to the thyroid medication after around 2 weeks of taking it so we immediately stopped the meds. I’m not saying that your cat will experience any problems with the meds but ours ended up getting the radioactive iodine treatment and she did fine with it. We had to travel just under 2 hours away since it was the closest animal hospital that did the treatment and that was the worst part for her. If I had to do it all over again, I would have went straight for the radioactive iodine treatment. I def recommend it.

Laura304

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat ended up having a terrible allergic reaction to the thyroid medication after around 2 weeks of taking it so we immediately stopped the meds. I’m not saying that your cat will experience any problems with the meds but ours ended up getting the radioactive iodine treatment and she did fine with it. We had to travel just under 2 hours away since it was the closest animal hospital that did the treatment and that was the worst part for her. If I had to do it all over again, I would have went straight for the radioactive iodine treatment. I def recommend it.
My apologies, I can’t figure out how to delete posts but I realized that your cat has already had the treatment. Hoping things are well!

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I got a question for anyone who has done the I-131.......how long after you got your cat home did you notice a significant change in their appetite?

4th day home, 7 days ago she got the I-131. It is really nice to see her getting peaceful, deep sleep again. Well rested, quick to start purring and show me her belly. (Twitchy tail is still there though, just not a constant anymore). Her eating has returned to 'normal' already. I feel almost like she is under-eating. She went from eating 2.5 cans a day down to almost 1, maybe a little more.

If this is normal, the I-131 is amazing.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi chris gadbois chris gadbois ,
Please keep in mind that right after the I-131 treatment there's a negative overshoot of thyroid hormones, so Onyx, right now, could be technically HYPO-thyroid, before getting normal within a couple of months.
I think that a slight decrease in her appetite could be normal.

For your peace of mind you could call the vets at the facility and ask them if it's all fine so far.

Rub her belly for me :)

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thyroid hormones have a long life in an organism. They don't get flushed out but rather need to be metabolized. It's not like Adrenalin that is there and gone. So it can take a pretty long time to see final results. The endocrinologist I used to see said it took three months for changes to normalize. That was/is for people but I imaging it takes time in animals also. Some changes you will see right away but some will take time to fine tune. The treatment will work but it will be awhile before you see the final results. But you are on the right track.