hypokalaemia?

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Miss Kitty (12 years old approx) fell off the catwalk into the "deep" stairwell - she had been exhibiting wobbliness on the catwalk. the Vet did blood tests & told me that she has low potassium but the price she intends to charge for potassium is rather high. what dosage and which kind of potassium might i give to her? could i use human-grade? she has also LOST weight and, for that, i am also concerned; she has never been a fat cat help, please! (i am a pensioner)
by the way, she has always been an indoor cat, a rescue. thanking you in advance for your help! :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would research this on the internet on reliable sites and see what is suggested. The problem is....how much and when to stop so you don't get into hyperkalemia which can be just as bad on her health, if not more. You need blood testing to see what is going on. You need to find out WHY she beacame that way....a deficiency in her diet, something wrong that is rendering her unable to absorb/keep potassium? Is she deficient in anything else? You might start by giving her a good cat vitamin supplement and see if that helps. Get one that is as a treat. Most cats detect meds in their food and refuse to eat, 12 years old is a senior now and she will need extra calories and vitamins, there are many senior foods out there that are good. Cats can lose weight as they age, just keep an eye on her so that it isn't related to an underlying disease or cancer. Was her throid levels checked, checked for diabetes? I pray it is something simple, all the luck!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Low potassium does not necessarily imply giving potassium pills or shots.

What causes this low level is important. Could be just vomiting or a disease, e.g. a kidney disease. I think it would be wise to check now, it could avoid future pain and save money.

+++
If a thorough check is not affordable. why not attempt a natural correction, by diet?

Unfortunately, most high level potassium are vegetables.
Among high potassium meats: beef, chicken and tuna.

"Milk for cats" also exists as a treat, and depending on brand, can provide additional potassium as well (dont feed cow milk or yogurt to the cat).

+++

Potassium dosage - In my opinion, I dont think it can be done at home using human-grade supplements (pills), because of unpredictable metabolic reactions in case of cats and because of to little values to be measured (dose is per kg.body)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would research this on the internet on reliable sites and see what is suggested. The problem is....how much and when to stop so you don't get into hyperkalemia which can be just as bad on her health, if not more. You need blood testing to see what is going on. You need to find out WHY she beacame that way....a deficiency in her diet, something wrong that is rendering her unable to absorb/keep potassium? Is she deficient in anything else? You might start by giving her a good cat vitamin supplement and see if that helps. Get one that is as a treat. Most cats detect meds in their food and refuse to eat, 12 years old is a senior now and she will need extra calories and vitamins, there are many senior foods out there that are good. Cats can lose weight as they age, just keep an eye on her so that it isn't related to an underlying disease or cancer. Was her throid levels checked, checked for diabetes? I pray it is something simple, all the luck!
thank you SO much for replying so quickly!
i don't know why she became potassium deficient. unfortunately, each time i visit the Vet's, they charge huge prices.
which type of kitty vitamins would you recommen/ d ... and...how else does one research this topic on the internet? i'll have to call this Vet to learn if she was checked for diabetes. thabj you, again, for replying sdo promptly (sorry for the typos; i recently fell and broke my left hand. many thanks to you.....from here in canada, :)

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The short answer is that human grade potassium can be used for cats, but you will most likely need the help of a pharmacist or vet to compound it into a formulation with the right dosage that she will actually take.

The others are right in that knowing why her potassium is low is important. Kidney problems can cause it, and diabetes can cause kidney issues, but there are other possibilities such as dietary issues.

Knowing how low her potassium is would also be important. Low potassium can cause neurological issues, but usually only at really low levels. I'm not entirely sure what those levels are or how much you'd need to dose to replace it, since I'm not a vet. If nothing else, call the vet back and see if they can give you any insight into the her condition; I wouldn't think they'd charge you simply for asking for clarification. You could also ask for a copy of the bloodwork.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because of her age, did they check her kidney values? Did they test her for diabetes? Many times nutrients are depleted from our body by excessive urination. It's common in humans for people who are on diuretics to be low in potassium because they lose it with excessive urination. Have you noticed an increase in water consumption or urination?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you SO much for replying so quickly!
i don't know why she became potassium deficient. unfortunately, each time i visit the Vet's, they charge huge prices.
which type of kitty vitamins would you recommen/ d ... and...how else does one research this topic on the internet? i'll have to call this Vet to learn if she was checked for diabetes. thabj you, again, for replying sdo promptly (sorry for the typos; i recently fell and broke my left hand. many thanks to you.....from here in canada, :)
i want to thank you very much for replying to my query. i called the Vet hospital again & this time was able to speak to a Snr Vet whom i had met before & liked. he said that he looks for 'common causes' -- unlike the new Vet who had expostulated every rare disease up to surgery! instead, the older Vet recommended a test of electrolytes after a month. Whew! that sounded much more sensible. (sorry about the tping but my hand is in a caste). in these last few days Luna has taken to poopoing rigfht beside her very recently cleaned 2 litter boxes. i stepped into it frirst thing in the morning. i don't know much about geriatrc cats (mine are approx 12 years old). is this behaviour to be expected? also, i seems like Luna has been losing weight. Any suggestions would be warmly appreciated :) louise

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not unusual. I experienced myself strange illness that come and go.
Could be anything from not sufficient water to small trauma.