Hyperthyroidism

Nero7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat Nero was recently diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism. None of the options - meds (radioiodine), surgery - are viable for him.

He is 18 years old. Does anyone know of alternative therapies? He's lost weight and struggles with breathing when he exerts himself.

Thank you in advance for any help you may give.

Note: Obviously we love our cat, but understand the limitations : (

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your cat’s diagnosis. Hyperthyroidism can be controlled with the drug Methimazole. However, there are some potential side effects with that drug that can occur. When you mentioned that meds were not an option, I was not sure if you meant Methimazole or were referring to radioactive iodine therapy. Another less common option maybe a low iodine diet that hill’s makes.

Hope you can make your kitty better.

Medical Disclaimer: My comments are not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinary advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding your cat’s medical condition. Never disregard your veterinarian’s treatment or delay obtaining help because of something I have posted.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would think methimazole would be a viable option. Even if he couldn't take it orally, the transdermal gel is easy to apply and doesn't cause stomach upset because it doesn't travel through the GI tract. That is what I did with my 17 year old, she wasn't a viable candidate for other treatments but the methimazole helped her over her last six months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nero7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry about your cat’s diagnosis. Hyperthyroidism can be controlled with the drug Methimazole. However, there are some potential side effects with that drug that can occur. When you mentioned that meds were not an option, I was not sure if you meant Methimazole or were referring to radioactive iodine therapy. Another less common option maybe a low iodine diet that hill’s makes.

Hope you can make your kitty better.

Medical Disclaimer: My comments are not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinary advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding your cat’s medical condition. Never disregard your veterinarian’s treatment or delay obtaining help because of something I have posted.
Hi BlackCatOp.

First of all, thanks for replying. We tried giving him the Methimazole, but he experienced bad reactions to the med.

We plan on purchasing the Low Iodine food from Hill this week.

Thanks again!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He had a reaction to the gel? It's usually much less problematic that the oral medication.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nero7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He had a reaction to the gel? It's usually much less problematic that the oral medication.

Yes. Unfortunately he had somewhat of a severe reaction to the gel and that is why I am looking for alternative therapies.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, the Low Iodine food from Hill's isn't very effective, and from experience it is not very tasty as well, some cats refuse to eat it.
Of course you cannot mix it with anything else.

Is it possible that your kitty had a reaction to other ingredients of the gel, and not to the Methimazole itself? In this case, you could ask a different compounding pharmacy where the composition might be different?