Hyperthyroidism

dmoel

BillyBob
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has hyperthyroidism as of a month ago. Now that we're getting this under control, when they check the thyroid level in the future they should not need to check the kidneys every single time also??? Right? Will it be once/year they check the thyroid?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi dmoel and welcome to the forum !

I'm glad to hear that you 'caught' this when you did, because, without bringing it under control, there could be serious adverse consequences.

I thought I'd give you some reliable information about Hyper-T, including followup monitoring. Some of the information is quite complicated, but this is written in plain language.

The first link is the start of the overview of hyperthyroidism, the second to the specific section about monitoring.
Now, that website's focus is kidney disease, but I'm not suggesting that your cat has any kidney issues. I'm only offering those references because the core information in there is applicable to all cats. Yes, hyperthyroidism can 'hide' kidney issues until the condition is brought under control - this does not apply to all cats, though. It will only be after the thyroid level is 'normalized' that you'll know the actual condition of your cat's kidneys.

I'm sure other folks will post about their own experience as well.

Meantime, if you'd like, we'd love to hear more about your kitty....and, of course, see some pics !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dmoel

BillyBob
Kitten
Purraise
Hi dmoel and welcome to the forum !

I'm glad to hear that you 'caught' this when you did, because, without bringing it under control, there could be serious adverse consequences.

I thought I'd give you some reliable information about Hyper-T, including followup monitoring. Some of the information is quite complicated, but this is written in plain language.

The first link is the start of the overview of hyperthyroidism, the second to the specific section about monitoring.
Now, that website's focus is kidney disease, but I'm not suggesting that your cat has any kidney issues. I'm only offering those references because the core information in there is applicable to all cats. Yes, hyperthyroidism can 'hide' kidney issues until the condition is brought under control - this does not apply to all cats, though. It will only be after the thyroid level is 'normalized' that you'll know the actual condition of your cat's kidneys.

I'm sure other folks will post about their own experience as well.

Meantime, if you'd like, we'd love to hear more about your kitty....and, of course, see some pics !
thank you very much

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! I’m glad to hear that your cat is doing better! Here is a helpful article:

https://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/outreach/Pet-Health-Topics/categories/diseases/hyperthyroidism-in-cats

To summarize what they say about bloodwork:

If your cat is getting anti-thyroid medication (methimazole), “Blood cell counts should be evaluated every 2 weeks during the first 3 months.”

If your cat the thyroid surgically removed, “Blood thyroid hormone levels should be measured once or twice a year.”

But you should also ask your vet what they think is best for your cat’s individual needs.