Hyperthyroidism Question, And New Vet Doesnt Think My Cat Had It?

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism two years ago. He has that along with HCM so gets his blood work done a lot. Anyway, last year around November, after a cold his thyroid was too low. And since then we've struggled to get the right balance. Now, for the past six months or so, any thyroid medicine works too well and his thyroid has been low, even at very low doses. So we took him off the medication for three months and his thyroid is normal.

Anyway, we moved recently and shopping for a new vet. We just saw a new one and got his bloodwork done and my cat's thyroid was normal. The vet said he didn't think my cat is really hyperthyroid because if he's been off medication for three months and his thyroid isn't through the roof, he probably didn't have it and it must have "been a glitch in the system."

But the other vets diagnosed him with it and his bloodwork did show it. He also had the classic signs of being hyperthyroid. But then again, his thyroid has been low for about a year. Does this vet sound like bad news or maybe we will misinformed before? Not sure what to think

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't think it would correct itself.
My girl is hyper-t also, so we know the signs, weight loss despite increased appetite is the biggest thing noticed.
I would think it's okay to leave it alone for a while unless of course you do notice a change, but it won't be off by that much at this point that any damage will occur.
I would honestly just be aware of his behavior and weight.

BTW, the pills are strong, I use the ear gel and am happy with it.

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would your previous vet share your cat's records with your new vet? Perhaps the new vet could glean more details about your cat's earlier diagnosis. While we're on that subject, I always get copies of test results for my cats. I like to follow their progress and will be prepared if we ever have to change vets (I do the same with our human medical records, too).

Mr. Grimsby (pictured here) had hyperthyroidism. He couldn't tolerate any of the medication in any form, so we ended up getting him injected with radioactive iodine. It cured the hyperthyroidism, but was an extremely expensive and stressful for all concerned.

Our older cat Bertha was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, but it has since subsided. I credit feeding her a species- appropriate diet, and including some bite-size chunks of raw chicken breast with her meals. I know that a lot of folks on this forum wouldn't approve of that, but it has worked for her for several years.

Good luck with your kitty!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with what other members have written before.
Hyper-t doesn't heal on its own. And usually things get worse.
Was HCM diagnosed before hyper-t, or was it a consequences of the hyperactive thyroid?

How many blood tests did your cat have before assessing it was hyper-t for sure? And how many tests showed that he was still hyper-t after starting with the meds?
I mean, is there the possibility that a mistake was done at the beginning?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's complicated because we moved countries but in the end, we decided to stick with our old vet. It's just odd because it's had all of our vets perplexed. He was diagnosed with hyper t first (but vets who saw him first, i didnt trust at all) but he did show all the signs of being hyper t. But really, after getting stable the medicine has worked too well and he's been low for about a year rather than too high. now he's not on anything but his thyroid is normal. i do think he had it, and the new vet we saw, for him to say it was a "glitch" that went on for several years...I just didn't trust that. but the whole thing is odd.