Hyperthyroid Disease

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took my 14yr. old David to see the vets on Saturday, because he has been drinking alot of water, and looked like he lost a few pounds.  After losing my Jake in Janurary of kidney failure, who was showing the same symptoms, I thought maybe Dave had kidney failure.

The vet results showed Dave has Hyperthyroidism.  I for now am opting to medicate him transdermaly with methimazole, any tips? suggestions?  I tonight gave him his first dose in his ear, I think I may have put too deep inside, but he does not like me touching his ear. I don't quite understand the dosage: it says 10 mg/0.1ml in Lipoderm

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry David is having problems.  Hyperthyroidism is somewhat common in older cats.

Although not my area of expertise, I did a quick internet search about "10 mg/0.1 ml"; I believe that refers to the equivalent of gel/liquid.

http://www.compoundingcenter.com/patients/pet-health/#1   I know there are two different amounts on the prescription I give the pharmacist for prozac--one for pill form and  one for liquid.

Here is an article about hyperthyroidism  and a thread about methimazole (a little old, but comprehensive).

Vibes for you and Dave.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the dose seems quite high to me, from what I've researched on my own.  I did call my vet to question the dosage he prescribed, and he said, yes, that it is correct, based on David's weight.  But, I still feel might be too high? Anyways, this is only the second day I've given him it, I will watch carefully any bad reactions

Thanks Ritz for the great info

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The transdermal gel should not be put deep in the ear. It should be put on the inside of the flap of the ear, you know the part that sticks up. The thin skinned part.

Hope David is feeling better soon.