Hyperthyroid cat won't stop vomiting

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 15 year old, Hestia, has had hyperthyroid for several years now that we were treating with Methimazole tablets. Recently she's been vomiting quite often and we added 1/4 tab Pepcid AC twice a day to the regimen. Still vomiting so we switched to the transdermal ear gel of the medication and continued the Pepcid. Still vomiting. I notice the liquid in it is bright yellow which makes me think bile. I'm waiting a few days to see if this continues before I call the vet again and see what's next but anyone have any experience with a hyperthyroid kitty that just won't stop vomiting? I've tried different foods and it doesn't matter. She's actually on Iams Digestive kibble right now bc when I give her canned food she actually vomits MORE. I'm not sure if there's something I'm overlooking. I'm starting to wonder if this will just never stop or if something else is going on. Any help would be appreciated. She just had a check up a few weeks ago with full on complete senior blood panel and nothing else was indicated. I wonder if I should ask for an xray or ultrasound or something...

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't wait.  Older kitties are like kittens and can go downhill quickly.  She also runs the risk of becoming dehydrated and putting her kidneys at risk.  She needs to be able to keep food down.  They can give her a shot to help that.  Call the vet immediately.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Is your kitty on meds to treat her thyroid problem? We had a cat in the rescue that was intolerant of ALL available hyperthyroid medications. Wonder if your kitty is having a reaction?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long has the vomiting been going on for? I think she needs a shot of Cerenia (anti-emetic) asap. I don't think this is necessarily connected to hyperthyroidism. There may be something else going on that the blood tests did not find. Foreign matter, IBD, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replies. I should have clarified that the vomiting was about once a day, reduced to 4 times a week and is back to once a day. So she is keeping some food down, just not all. The vomiting has been going on for several weeks. I did ask my vet at her checkup to check her kidneys as she's been drinking and urinating more but kidney values were fine. She palpated her abdomen and everything felt okay. So I really wonder if I should ask for some kind of further testing. I do think it's possible that she just may have bad reaction to all thyroid medication. In that case, what would we do for her now? I'll put another call in to the vet tomorrow, just would like some ideas in my head for course of action if the vet continues to not be concerned (things that I could suggest or ask her to check).

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
side note: she had a heart arrhythmia that was detected if that's worth anything

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
For our rescue who was med intolerant, we opted to do the radio iodine treatment for him. He was 13 we he had the procedure nearly 2 yrs ago. He had no other health problems (they do extensive testing prior to treatment.) He has been doing great ever since!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does your cat take the methimazole in pill form or through a patch in her ear?  A friend of mine had to use the patch for her cat because otherwise she DID vomit, but changine the medication to the ear patch (more expensive of course) seemed to do the trick.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news. Shortly after I posted, Hestia stopped vomiting. I guess I jumped the gun a bit thinking switching to the ear cream compound of the meds wasn't helping things either but I guess she just needed a couple more days to get used to it. She actually looks like she's filling out a bit too :)

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad that switching Hestia to the ear cream compound of methimazole seems to have helped.  I hope she continues to do well with it.

42cattier

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For human with hyper-thyroid unprocessed homemade food without extra-iodine helps, mostly diet-controlled condition (no egg yolks, salt, seafood, seaweeds, milk, cheese, butter, soy). This can be used for cats too, homemade food minus salt (catinfo.org). Healthier and cheaper too. Not dry no iodine Hill's food (you can find more about this online).

Best wishes to you and your cat!