Hypercalcemia Diet?

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a kitty, Shade, who was diagnosed with hypercalcemia last year. My vet said she should be on a high fiber diet and put her on Hills w/d prescription diet (canned), which seemed to help her calcium levels, but after about a month Shade lost interest and went back to eating the other cats' dry food. I switched them all to Blue Buffalo Weight Control Chicken and Dry Rice which had more fiber than the W/D, and it seemed to be working.

However, a year later, the Blue Buffalo is not working. The vet put Shade back on the w/d, and she was eating it at first, but she's gotten bored of it again. I'm also not convinced that the w/d is the best thing for her.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good canned cat foods, prescription or no, for cats with hypercalcemia?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Was Shade diagnosed with Idiopathic Hypercalcemia? I'm just wondering since you only mentioned she needed a change in diet. Have you seen this article on that topic? Hypercalcemia in Dogs and Cats - Endocrine System - Merck Veterinary Manual You can use the Table of Contents on the left side of the page to pull up "Idiopathic Hypercalcemia of Cats" to read some info about it, including certain meds that might help.

As far as foods, have you tried adding some canned pumpkin to wet food? How about kidney foods? Per that article, kidney foods are good in this instance.

Also, did you happen to see this thread? It's about other cats with hypercalcemia: Cat With Idiopathic Hypercalcemia (high Calcium)