Hydrolyzed wet food for my IBD gal

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet prescribed Hills ID and said it’s hydrolyzed. I come to find out ID is not only ZD is hydrolyzed. I got a sample of ZD and she won’t go near it. It’s like hard jello.

Only other hydrolyzed wet food is Blue Buffalo HF but it’s salmon and she won’t eat it.

How important is hydrolyzed diet for IBD kitties? Alternatives? Also most hydrolyzed cat food contain some kind of gum and I thought gums and thickener are Allergic

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hydrolyzed proteins have been processed to a point that the body doesn't recognize it as the protein and react. It can help in IBD if your cat is generally reactive or if you don't know what is triggering the reaction. Have you narrowed down what foods cause her issues?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hydrolyzed proteins have been processed to a point that the body doesn't recognize it as the protein and react. It can help in IBD if your cat is generally reactive or if you don't know what is triggering the reaction. Have you narrowed down what foods cause her issues?
My IBD gal doesn’t get diarrhea. Only outward symptom is Hairball obstruction so it’s hard to narrow down triggering food. That is why dr put her on hydrolyzed diet. My vet prescribed Hills ID. ID is not hydrolyzed and this vet doesn’t know it. So I have to let her know.

Only hydrolyzed food that comes in wet form are Hills Z/D and blue Buffalo HF. She won’t eat both.

How do I know which food is triggering IBD if she doesn’t get diarrhea like others

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What symptoms does she have for IBD?

My cat doesn't have IBD (at least that we are aware of) but he vomits when he eats chicken or shellfish. We just eliminated proteins and ingredients until we found what food reduced the symptoms.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She doesn’t have physical symptoms. She has reduced gut motility which causes hair to accumulate in her belly. She had severe Hairball obstructions which required surgeries. So, we can’t figure out what she is allergic to since symptoms are internal

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t think my vet knows what she is doing as she prescribed hills ID. That is not hydrolyzed. I’m looking into raw even though my vet opposes. I’m going to stay away from chicken but doesn’t EZ complete contain chicken liver?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a drug that can help gut mobility; our vet mentioned it as a possibility for one of our cats who sometimes has vomiting issues. Since we haven't had to use it, all I know is that there is such a drug. Unfortunately, I don't know what it's called!

Egg yolk contains choline, which helps mobility. I put egg yolks in our cats' homemade food (which I make with Alnutrin; you can add any liver to it) and highly recommend this page from Food Fur Life, if you haven't already read it. Pumpkin puree may help as well. You could add those to any food; just don't add too much to start. (Just ask if you want to know how much we use.)

Our cat with occasional issues is like Kieka Kieka 's, she vomits. Then we eliminate ingredients until we figure out what's causing the problem. We're currently eliminating tapioca. It's the newest item on a list that already includes potato, agar-agar, and green-lipped mussels. As well as a slew of other things that are often in cat food but don't serve any positive nutritional purpose for cats: carrageenan, all grains, and all legumes. This has eliminated a lot of items from her diet, including food from EZ since the supplement contains mussels.

Good luck!

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is on Cisapride for gut motility and egg yolk powder/egg yolk lethicin. She still has slow gut motility despite drugs and supplements. EZ Complete contain chicken liver so I'm staying away from it. I also have Alnutrin but I have to add liver to make it complete. It is hard to source fresh non chicken liver in my grocery store. I'm not so lucky as what is triggering IBD since all of the symptoms are internal like slow gut motility. I'm just eliminating chicken as I read chicken is the culprit.

My cat may not be allergic to chicken but since I can't determine what she is allergic to, I'll just get rid of most common culprit, hence chicken.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a drug that can help gut mobility; our vet mentioned it as a possibility for one of our cats who sometimes has vomiting issues. Since we haven't had to use it, all I know is that there is such a drug. Unfortunately, I don't know what it's called!

Sucralfate

I also have Alnutrin but I have to add liver to make it complete. It is hard to source fresh non chicken liver in my grocery store.

Ethnic grocery stores typically have liver and other offal. Sometimes a butcher shop can special order things for you.

Hare-Today.com sells raw meats and organs for pet food use. Category | Hare Today

You can use freeze dried novel protein liver treats as well. You can ask over on the Raw forum for more info on how to calculate the amount of freeze dried liver to sub for the fresh liver called for in a recipe.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C Catmom1234567890 here's info on how to use freeze dried raw instead of fresh liver in a raw recipe: Using Freeze Dried Liver in Place of Fresh

TCS had a server crash yesterday and lost many posts made after Thursday.
Yes about the crash... I'd posted that I use 5.8-6 grams of freeze-dried liver to one pound of meat. (That's the upper end of Alnutrin's recommendations... Their site and their packaging have different numbers. Our cats seem to like liver so I go for more.)

Unfortunately, I'd also said that the page you linked to no longer works. I'm almost certain that's where I got my information on how to do the conversion.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you do a surgical biopsy to confirm it's IBD? Prednisolone is what cats with IBD usually get. If your cat likes raw you can try some aafco balanced raw like Darwins, stella and chewys, primal :)

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet did a biopsy and when she had a surgery to remove hairballs. Yes confirmed diagnosis. My vet wants to try hydrolyzed until inflammation calms down. Then introduce novel protein. Like most vets, mine is also anti raw.

My kitty biopsy says she has moderate duodenum thickening and bacteria. So I doubt my vet will go for raw. I’m more inclined to try partial cooked.

She’s on budesonide, cisapride and Capilex and eats Hills ZD. Not crazy about ZD but I’m keeping it short term to calm things down

Last edited: