Hydrolyzed Protein vs. Novel Protein Diets

mio-nozawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like this is going to be a massive essay but here we go.

I have two cats, both a year old, who have been having problems with food for quite some time.

We originally started them both on Wellness wet, one cat (Nozawa) was fine until recently. Our other cat Mio, went through a whole slew of brands (both prescription and otherwise) before we settled on Wild Calling, rotating the protein every day. She would before this both 1) Not eat her food and 2) Throw up. But she seems fine now and has no problems. We even had her tested for pancreatitis but it came back negative. We rotate beef, chicken/salmon/lamb, buffalo, duck and rabbit. It has limited ingredients.

Our other cat, Nozawa, was fine up until these last couple of months. He began throwing up (hair balls only), every week. We had an ultrasound and found out he had pancreatitis. The vet wanted to put him on a low-fat diet, but the Wild Calling food we had (prior to this he was still eating Wellness), was the same fat % as the prescription food so we switched him to the same stuff our other cat was on (WIld Calling), and fed him beef only (our vet's advice...). That was maybe 4 weeks ago.

He stopped throwing up until last week, where he threw up twice and also started itching his ears / shaking his head. The vet thinks its a food allergy, and no matter what novel protein we feed him he will eventually develop an allergy unless we switch him to hydrolyzed protein.

The only hydrolyzed protein our vet sells is dry (Royal Canin), and I really don't want to put him on that because it seems like it has lots of filler ingredients (as well as being dry food). She insists that it doesn't and that everything that is in the food is there for a reason. We thought maybe if we switched the protein source daily (like we do for our other cat), he would be better, but on the chicken/lamb/salmon formula he started developing a rash around his ears. But I am aware chicken/fish is an allergen. So I am not sure if maybe he would do better if we rotated other protein sources (venison, duck, rabbit, buffalo).

I see Hill's makes a hydrolyzed protein wet food, but I am not sure if this is even any better than the dry Royal Canin makes.

I am not sure what to do, do we go against our vet and try more novel protein sources, or do we try the Royal Canin dry food? I feel like we can't keep going back to our vet if we don't take her advice. 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I have been in your shoes! Max developed allergies at 6 months old. At the time, Lucky was 13 and had developed (what we thought was) IBD...I now know it was IBD due to food intolerances. I initially put the both of them on Purina HA. They were on HA for about a month before I had to switch to Hills z/d due to diarrhea. Another 5 weeks into it, diarrhea started again and I was told to choose a novel protein diet because there were multiple reports coming into our feline dermatologist saying the hydrolyzed diets were causing GI issues when fed over a "long" period of time.

In hindsight, knowing what I know about the hydrolyzed diets and their ingredients and the GI issues we had, I could choose a novel protein diet, no doubt.

I like Nature's Variety's LID diets and haven't had issues. (Max is allergic to beef and rabbit; Lucky cannot have grains, gluten, pork, carrageenan, nor agar-agar.)

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another member's kitty has pancreatitis and she wound up rotating proteins--a month on each protein. Their kitty also has sensitivities to thickeners like guar gum and carrageenan. It took quite a bit of work, but she finally figured out how to manage the pancreatitis. If you go the route of non-prescription food, it seems like you have quite a bit of trial and error.

Have you asked if there is a wet version of the Royal Canin you can give?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli had undiagnosed IBD and was on a hydrolyzed protein diet (RC) at the shelter before we got him. It wasn't doing him any good, i.e., it didn't stop his chronic diarrhea.

Once we had a firm diagnosis (EHEC infection that required antibotics, and IBD), we switched to a low-fat novel protein diet. I'd already determined that chicken, hydrolyzed or not, made him sick. It turned out that he also can't tolerate any grains, including rice. In other words, the special hydrolyzed diet was absolutely the wrong food for him, which doesn't mean it wouldn't help other cats.

We've had him for a year and a half, and he's doing well on a mix of prescription and non-prescription low-fat, grain-free, single-protein canned foods. Finding out what he can tolerate was a very long trial and error process aided by an animal nutritionist.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mio-nozawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice guys!

How did you find out what proteins your cats were allergic to? Like how long did you trial a protein before switching it to another or seeing a reaction? I don't want to keep him on one protein for a long period of time (like the beef) since I don't want him to develop a reaction to it over time. I'm also not sure if it is something like guar gum and carrageenan causing the problems. We've never given them any food with grains in it (so I know it's not that), so I am not sure if the hydrolyzed food will make him sicker since it does have those things in it.

I'm still also confused about the pancreatitis since our vet never explained it properly. One of our vets thought it was caused by a bacterial infection since he is so young, so he was given antibiotics. But is it related to his food allergies? 

There's no wet version of the Royal Canin Hydrolyzed protein food, the only hydrolyzed wet food I could find was Hill's, but our vet doesn't sell it. I imagine I could get a prescription for it and buy it myself... but it's still not exactly what we want to be feeding our cat :/

I think we will try Nature's Variety next and maybe Hound and Gatos. I don't really want him on this dry food forever, but we are going on vacation this week so I think we are going to tell the pet sitter to give it to him during that time, and maybe it will reset his system a bit. I think you are right it's just going to be a long trial/error process, I'm lucky that he at least will eat anything (literally... anything.)

It's just weird to me because I feel like both our cats had the same symptoms, yet the vets recommended totally different diets (they wanted Mio on a Purina low-GI food) and said the food was just too rich for her/she had a sensitive stomach. I don't want to question my vet, but the hydrolyzed protein stuff just seems illogical to me.. like I am sure that they are not allergic to ALL protein in it's non-processed state since it's basically what their diet in nature is, but I can imagine that eating the same food everyday is bad for their health (like it is in people too) which is causing the problem.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
It was trial and error figuring out Max and Lucky's triggers. With Max, I suspected beef from the get-go. He was fine when I pulled it out of his diet. The first novel protein I put him on was the Royal Canin prescription canned Pea and Venison (PV.) He was on that food for 6 weeks before I introduced the Duck (PD) to his diet. He tolerated that well. Two weeks later, I tried the Rabbit (PR.). The SECOND time he ate Rabbit, his ears turned bright red within a minute of eating the food. No more Rabbit after that.

Lucky on the other hand, it has taken me a good 2 years to tailor his diet. When his symptoms first started, the vet put him in I/d (canned.). Lucky was on this diet for 4 weeks and his symptoms kept getting worse and no one could figure out why. (Hindsight...I/d is a pork based diet with grains...MAJOR triggers for him.)

When I put Max on the hydrolyzed diets, I decided to put Lucky on it too. As Max did food trials, so did Lucky. Max made a 100% recovery...Lucky, not so much..maybe 50-60%.. But, by this point, I was convinced that Lucky's was strictly food related, I just had to find the culprits.

Once I knew what proteins Lucky could have, I started focusing on additives/binders (like guar gum and carrageenan.) Slowly, but surely I narrowed down which of those were triggers for him.

I mostly have Lucky on Instinct LID turkey (canned) and the Pride line of dry (Diva Duck.) He cannot tolerate the Pride canned foods. He also gets freeze-dried raw on occasion, as well as some cooked chicken/turkey as treats.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How did you find out what proteins your cats were allergic to? Like how long did you trial a protein before switching it to another or seeing a reaction? I don't want to keep him on one protein for a long period of time (like the beef) since I don't want him to develop a reaction to it over time.
We worked with an animal nutritionist and actually didn't switch to just one different protein after a fixed period. We started out with one (rabbit), and after he'd done well on that for 6 - 8 weeks added a second (kangaroo) for another 6 - 8 weeks, then a third, etc.. He now eats quite a number of different meats over the course of 9 - 10 weeks, but seems to do best when we limit it to a single protein per day. His reaction to grains was pretty dramatic (severe diarrhea), and even the slightest bit of chicken caused both diarrhea and vomiting.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I have been in your shoes! Max developed allergies at 6 months old. At the time, Lucky was 13 and had developed (what we thought was) IBD...I now know it was IBD due to food intolerances. I initially put the both of them on Purina HA. They were on HA for about a month before I had to switch to Hills z/d due to diarrhea. Another 5 weeks into it, diarrhea started again and I was told to choose a novel protein diet because there were multiple reports coming into our feline dermatologist saying the hydrolyzed diets were causing GI issues when fed over a "long" period of time.

In hindsight, knowing what I know about the hydrolyzed diets and their ingredients and the GI issues we had, I could choose a novel protein diet, no doubt.

I like Nature's Variety's LID diets and haven't had issues. (Max is allergic to beef and rabbit; Lucky cannot have grains, gluten, pork, carrageenan, nor agar-agar.)
Did your cats vomit a lot? Mine did. I stopped letting her out, took away dry, went to grain free canned and started giving her digestive aid called vets best hairball relief tabs( cats eat like candy) liver flavored. They contain slippery elm and psyllium and aid in digestion. You can get on amazon very inexpensive.
Cat pack try nutro natural balance chunky chicken loaf and minced chicken and sliced turkey. No grain or carageen cats love the taste no vomiting.

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Cannot feed Nutro Natural Choice as they all contain Pork.

Max's reactions were skin lesions on his face, ears and neck, as well as bright red ears.

Max never had vomiting/diarrhea.

Lucky, on the other hand, got so bad he was vomiting blood and had bloody diarrhea. He lost 3 lbs in 8 weeks. It was horrible! His intestines/colon were so angry looking on x-ray that the vet thought he had cancer.

Even now if Lucky eats something he shouldn't, he has diarrhea that takes 5-10 days to clear up (depending on exactly what he eats and the quantity eaten.) But, if I keep all his triggers out of his diet he has no vomiting (not even hairballs, except maybe once every 3+ months...he has VERY thick, long hair) and completely normal stool.