hydrogen peroxide cat acne?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't think it was a big deal. But i happened to look online and it's not good go for cats. I just put some around her neck and she did not lick it. Should i worry?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry too much. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down, pretty quickly, into water and oxygen.

Its chemical formula is H2O2. Yes, it's basically just water (H20) with an extra oxygen atom attached. That makes it a very reactive and unstable substance because, as you can imagine, that extra oxygen atom is just "hanging out" waiting for something to come along to react with.

Did you know that hydrogen peroxide can be used as rocket fuel? Yup! It's that powerful but only in its pure form. The kind of hydrogen peroxide that you buy at the pharmacy is only 3% concentration. Still, at such a low concentration, the stuff is still considered a strong chemical.

H2O2 begins to break down within seconds of applying it. Most of it will have broken down in a few minutes. Virtually all of it will be gone within the hour. By the time you read this message, I doubt that there will be anything left.

The human body (and probably a cat's body) actually produces H2O2 as part of normal metabolism but only in very small amounts.

The reason why peroxide is not recommended for cats is that it can dry out and damage sensitive skin. As a matter of fact, it's not really recommended for people, either. Many people think that peroxide is a disinfectant for cuts and other small injuries but it's not actually a disinfectant. It is actually a "debriding agent" which means that it removes dead skin. In reality, putting peroxide on a cut destroys dead or damaged skin cells. It's disinfectant properties are really just a side effect.

If you want to disinfect a cut, the best things would be either 70% isopropyl alcohol or a purpose-made antiseptic that you buy at the drug store. If you put peroxide on a cut you will actually slow healing and increase the chances of scarring.

As to your cat's acne problem...

It's probably better to keep the affected area clean with soap and water. Use whatever soap you already use that's safe for cats.

While you are at it, it would be good if you tried to find the source of the acne and solve the problem that way.

Cats can get acne of the face when they eat from a food or water bowl that has bacteria growing in it. Always keep your cat's food bowl spotlessly clean. Even better to avoid plastic because it can harbor bacteria even if you think it's clean. Use stainless steel, glass or glazed ceramic instead. (Don't use stoneware or other unglazed types of ceramic.)

Our cat, Casper, has had feline acne around his mouth but we cured it by switching to stainless steel food bowls and cleaning them every day.

We went to the pet store and found an appropriate bowl for Casper's food then we bought six identical copies. The first one is used to feed him and the others are kept on the shelf. Every day, when Casper gets fed, we use a clean bowl from the shelf. The used bowl gets rinsed in the sink then put into the dishwasher. Clean bowls are returned to the shelf where they get used in rotation.

Tell us more about your cat's acne problem. Where is it on the body? How big does it get? What does it look like?
Does it ooze or look red and swollen?

If we know more, we might be able to help you get to the bottom of your problem and cure it at its source.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are cat wound sprays available at farm supply stores like Orschelns or Tractor supply. I keep some around and spray it on a small piece of cloth and dab it on for any wounds. Cats hate the spraying sound. Alcohol would really sting if applied, I wouldn't recommend it. Peroxide is safe if first diluted by half with water and applied ONE time. I have used it on a lot of animal wounds before I got the spray. It does work as an antiseptic for bacteria and viruses, but also debrides, like said above, so should only be used once. I wouldn't worry at all, especially applied on the neck where it is difficult to reach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry too much. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down, pretty quickly, into water and oxygen.

Its chemical formula is H2O2. Yes, it's basically just water (H20) with an extra oxygen atom attached. That makes it a very reactive and unstable substance because, as you can imagine, that extra oxygen atom is just "hanging out" waiting for something to come along to react with.

Did you know that hydrogen peroxide can be used as rocket fuel? Yup! It's that powerful but only in its pure form. The kind of hydrogen peroxide that you buy at the pharmacy is only 3% concentration. Still, at such a low concentration, the stuff is still considered a strong chemical.

H2O2 begins to break down within seconds of applying it. Most of it will have broken down in a few minutes. Virtually all of it will be gone within the hour. By the time you read this message, I doubt that there will be anything left.

The human body (and probably a cat's body) actually produces H2O2 as part of normal metabolism but only in very small amounts.

The reason why peroxide is not recommended for cats is that it can dry out and damage sensitive skin. As a matter of fact, it's not really recommended for people, either. Many people think that peroxide is a disinfectant for cuts and other small injuries but it's not actually a disinfectant. It is actually a "debriding agent" which means that it removes dead skin. In reality, putting peroxide on a cut destroys dead or damaged skin cells. It's disinfectant properties are really just a side effect.

If you want to disinfect a cut, the best things would be either 70% isopropyl alcohol or a purpose-made antiseptic that you buy at the drug store. If you put peroxide on a cut you will actually slow healing and increase the chances of scarring.

As to your cat's acne problem...

It's probably better to keep the affected area clean with soap and water. Use whatever soap you already use that's safe for cats.

While you are at it, it would be good if you tried to find the source of the acne and solve the problem that way.

Cats can get acne of the face when they eat from a food or water bowl that has bacteria growing in it. Always keep your cat's food bowl spotlessly clean. Even better to avoid plastic because it can harbor bacteria even if you think it's clean. Use stainless steel, glass or glazed ceramic instead. (Don't use stoneware or other unglazed types of ceramic.)

Our cat, Casper, has had feline acne around his mouth but we cured it by switching to stainless steel food bowls and cleaning them every day.

We went to the pet store and found an appropriate bowl for Casper's food then we bought six identical copies. The first one is used to feed him and the others are kept on the shelf. Every day, when Casper gets fed, we use a clean bowl from the shelf. The used bowl gets rinsed in the sink then put into the dishwasher. Clean bowls are returned to the shelf where they get used in rotation.

Tell us more about your cat's acne problem. Where is it on the body? How big does it get? What does it look like?
Does it ooze or look red and swollen?

If we know more, we might be able to help you get to the bottom of your problem and cure it at its source.
thank you for responding. i read your comment the day of and felt better. I just havent had time to sit down and respond. Elsa has blackheads around her neck from her collar. She even lost hair. I removed the collar. The vet gave me a cleaner to cure the blackheads, just have to try it and hope it works.
P.S. been using hydrogen peroxide to disinfect wounds for years. your comment took me by surprise. lol

There are cat wound sprays available at farm supply stores like Orschelns or Tractor supply. I keep some around and spray it on a small piece of cloth and dab it on for any wounds. Cats hate the spraying sound. Alcohol would really sting if applied, I wouldn't recommend it. Peroxide is safe if first diluted by half with water and applied ONE time. I have used it on a lot of animal wounds before I got the spray. It does work as an antiseptic for bacteria and viruses, but also debrides, like said above, so should only be used once. I wouldn't worry at all, especially applied on the neck where it is difficult to reach.
thank you for responding and for the info on wound sprays.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline acne and human acne are pretty similar and they are both treated the same way. Feline acne's treatment is just cat-specific.

If you keep the affected areas clean and apply the medicine that the vet gave you, your cat's feline acne should heal almost by itself.

When I was a kid a had a major operation. When I came home, my mother cleaned the incision with hydrogen peroxide every day. (Doctor's orders.) Decades later, I spoke to an old time doctor who told me that my scarring wouldn't have been half as bad as it is today if we didn't use peroxide. Ever since then, I use peroxide sparingly. For regular first aid, I use soap and water, then a BandAid with a dab of Neosporin on it.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I didn't think it was a big deal. But i happened to look online and it's not good go for cats. I just put some around her neck and she did not lick it. Should i worry?
Colloidal Silver is the safest I'll go with. It's non toxic to cats even if they lick it and ingest it. I use this for my boy's wound and I'm a fan of it.

You can either get it in spray form or dropper form. See which way is best when you administer it or if your cat is afraid of spray sound, then the either one is okay as you can either spray some on a cotton wool or use the dropper and apply onto the site.

If you are getting this, just make sure it's meant for animals. There are several brands out there.

IMG_0068.jpg IMG_9079.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline acne and human acne are pretty similar and they are both treated the same way. Feline acne's treatment is just cat-specific.

If you keep the affected areas clean and apply the medicine that the vet gave you, your cat's feline acne should heal almost by itself.

When I was a kid a had a major operation. When I came home, my mother cleaned the incision with hydrogen peroxide every day. (Doctor's orders.) Decades later, I spoke to an old time doctor who told me that my scarring wouldn't have been half as bad as it is today if we didn't use peroxide. Ever since then, I use peroxide sparingly. For regular first aid, I use soap and water, then a BandAid with a dab of Neosporin on it.
thats good to know. i will have to let my family know not to use hydrogen peroxide so much.

Colloidal Silver is the safest I'll go with. It's non toxic to cats even if they lick it and ingest it. I use this for my boy's wound and I'm a fan of it.

You can either get it in spray form or dropper form. See which way is best when you administer it or if your cat is afraid of spray sound, then the either one is okay as you can either spray some on a cotton wool or use the dropper and apply onto the site.

If you are getting this, just make sure it's meant for animals. There are several brands out there.

View attachment 394425 View attachment 394426
thank you! i havent heard of that product before.