Hydration?

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
Yesterday my Moose cat started vomiting *everywhere*. Like every few hours, he'd just spew. He must have been trying to eat in between those times because it was always a stomach full :eek2:.
(We have 5 cats, and two tend to be barfers, so at first I didn't think much of it. Just for the record, one has a tender tummy and the other still has stray mentality for food and eats too fast. But those are other issues.....)
Anyway, so I kept finding piles of barf. After the second one, I knew something was up, but didn't know which cat! Found them all, realized quickly it was Moose- he has barf on his chest and had runny stool stuck to his bum fur... he was a mess. I washed his bum best I could and quarantined him, planning on taking him to the vet this morning if he didn't improve.
Ok, well, the vomiting stopped late last night (it was about 12 hours of vomiting, there was 6 or 7 huge piles I cleaned up). Honestly, at first I thought he had a blockage and was going to need surgery or something....
Well today came and he's acting pretty normal. Eating, drinking, sleeping.
But... all that to ask:
What can I give him to help hydrate him? Usually I give tuna juice, but he won't touch it. He won't eat *anything* other than his dry cat food. Over the years I have literally tried dozens of brands, wet and dry, I have tried all appropriate people foods, etc. He won't touch any of them. It's like they are not food to him (I actually had a post talking about this when I first got him. Nothing's changed, lol)
I can tell he needs hydration (his eyes look funny, honestly). What can I do to help??!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also want to add: he's still being closely watched, and if he doesn't perk up by tomorrow, he's going in to the vet.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About the only thing I can think of if he doesn't like wet food is to boil up some plain meat to make a thin broth. Maybe he'd drink that.

If all he eats is dry food, even if he seems better tomorrow, I'd think seriously about taking him to the vet to see if he needs some fluids, just in case, particularly if it's hot where you are. Fluids can really work wonders -- quickly -- for a dehydrated cat!

(Our cats have been very unhappy with the heat and there's been more barfing here than usual, too.)

Eva Fitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi hope he is feeling better. Try giving him plain chicken breast or white fish. Also give him water via a syringe so he doesn’t become dehydrated.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH! YES! I now remember helping my mom syringe feed a sick cat water.
That'll work!

Since he won't help himself, I'll just have to step in. He's been doing better as the day progressed, but still, more water certainly won't hurt!

Thanks!!

punkysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy loves the water I cook white meat chicken in for him. Nothing else is added to the water. He laps it up.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update: Poor Moose! He barfed up a piece of a hairball every day for 4 days!!! That third day he got up a HUGE long one- that must have been the clogger! After the 4th day of barfing, he's perked up tremendously and stopped all the vomiting and been totally fine. He's been extra lovey, needy, and frisky! I'm so glad he's feeling better. He's back to our normal sweet Moose.
I now have ordered some Sentry hairball gunk and will be adding that into his routine so we can avoid this week of horror. (My poor Moosie, my poor carpet! lol)
Thanks everyone!