Hybrid cats?

dbzang88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont know if this goes here or not....but....To make a Bengal, do you need the male parent to be a Asian Leopard Cat? Or can the male parent be a domestic cat?
I mean does the male parent HAVE to be the wild cat...or can the female parent be a wild cat?
Like with bigger cats?

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a site that will give you a bit
of information.
There are lots of sources on the history of the Bengal cat on the web.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically, a Bengal isn't a Bengal until they're 4 generations removed from the wildcat ;). To make a Bengal, you breed 2 Bengals.

But since you're talking about the early foundation breeding, I can't find anything that says the ALC parent has to be male. But it's probably easier and cheaper to acquire a male ALC so that may be more common. Early generation males are sterile, so they have to use hybrid females for those generations.

It says that the early breeders got their ALCs and hybrids from a scientist doing genetic work, but it doesn't say if he used males or females for the first generation. Probably both.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat associations dont recgonise a Bengal until after 4 generations or F4, after F4 they are called a SBT and most breeders breed SBT to SBT.
My Blues parents were female foundation cat and SBT father and same with his grandparents.