Hurricane Joaquin

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is anyone else expecting problems from this storm?  In my area, we are looking at a lot of rain, possible high winds, possible flooding.  I think it could get ugly.  I hope everyone is safe that finds themselves in its path, whether directly or indirectly.  I am stressing.

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they figure out which way it is tracking. It could make landfall somewhere in Virginia / the Carolinas and track up the coast. It could land offshore, track up the coast and bash Long Island. Or it could go somewhat eastward as it moves north and we just get some rain but not a trees downed deluge.

So yes, it will be wet. Will it be like Superstorm Sandy when I had no electricity for 2 weeks except when we ran the small generator which powered our well, along with the refrigerator and freezer and lights and stuff? Still have wood burning stove, propane fueled cook stove - and now we have a whole house generator.

Wait until you need to stress. No point in borrowing trouble. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm watching it.  I have/had big plans for this weekend that don't involve a hurricane! 

But this is the latest prediction from The National Hurricane Center/NOAA.

"The Cone" is now pretty well off the coast so that is a relief.  But I'm keeping in mind these things can be very unpredictable.  It looks like they think it will stay a hurricane a bit longer than they thought yesterday; but if it's not going to make landfall or be so close to the shore that won't be such a bad thing.  I need a "visual" to visualize how big the storm itself is.  

New Jersey and Virginia have already declared states of emergency for it.  I'm not sure about any other states.  I've beefed up our supply of bottled water.  I went to Walmart and bought 8 gallons plus 2 big packages of single bottles.  Then I came home and saw we already had 4 plus a stash we keep in the crawl space. Ooops!  DH came home from work tonight and saw my stash and said "I think we're stocked now."  
  DH uses the gallon jugs for work; so it's not going to go to waste.  But I'm still praying it stays way off the coast and weakens a lot before it reaches any land.  

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Here in central PA, we're fine.....and, please don't take this the wrong way, guys, but we could use some of that rain. We are to have a showery Saturday morning with some wind, but that's it. We are well below normal for rain.

All of you who are in the path, stay as safe as you can! 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like it's going to move out to sea.  We'll get some impact in the area, but I think that's due more to a small Nor'easter that developed - not the hurricane.

We need rain badly anyway.  My arborist said NJ is down 18" this year.  That, is a huge amount :(

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now we are getting heavy rain on and off, this has nothing to do with Joaquin.  Our shore area may be affected tho, they are assuring us that it won't be as bad as Sandy.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There were a lot of bazaars, yard sales, book library sales, Heritage Day a fishing tournament, and other big events planned for the weekend in our community. They are all cancelled.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on the coast of NC & we have been getting nothing but rain, rain, & more rain for days.  Funny thing is, it has nothing to do with the storm, it's just another front we are getting right now.  I think it's not supposed to clear up until early next week. It's pouring right now. Our area has been having flood warnings, but that's about it for now. The latest update I saw looks like it's steering away from any landfall. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There were problems with high winds, rain, and power outages in Charlotte, NC (just down the road).  Fortunately, no injuries given the uprooted trees and smashed cars.  A friend near the NC mountains reported they had already closed some bridges and roads yesterday due to flooding risks.  I hope the storms goes out to sea.  @Winchester, thank you for the well wishes, and @Angels mommy, that's what we are getting too, the nonstop rain from that other system.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stay safe all of you.
We're still sweltering. Send some rain over.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have had ten inches of rain in just over week. We are at home this morning instead of church. The water was over the road in three places and almost over in two. Even if we could have inched along slowly and gotten through it, the wind is supposed to keep increasing which could mean we might get up the road and then not be able to get back. Yesterday cars were stalled out and having to call wreckers to come get them. I don't want any part of that.
:lol3:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had ten inches of rain in just over week. We are at home this morning instead of church. The water was over the road in three places and almost over in two. Even if we could have inched along slowly and gotten through it, the wind is supposed to keep increasing which could mean we might get up the road and then not be able to get back. Yesterday cars were stalled out and having to call wreckers to come get them. I don't want any part of that.
Good call, no you don't want any car trouble. Years ago when there was a lot of flooding from a storm, I was working at a day spa that was in a plaza that sloped down in the middle of the parking lot. It was getting so deep, that while my facial was steaming, I rolled up my pants, took my shoes off &  I went out to move my car,  without knowing better, I didn't realize my tail pipe was under water, or close enough. It sucked up water, & I nearly totaled my car!  Thankfully, it didn't go in as far as it could have, (I forget what damage it did, it's been so many yrs. now)  but it didn't reach the engine, so that was a blessing! It still did a couple of hundred dollars worth of damage though!

(Didn't we have a storm that didn't hit us here in NC, but gave lots of rain like this one, for some reason I think it's name was Earl,? Maybe you remember since your in NC too). I am pretty sure it was the late 90's, ??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My prayers go out to those in and around Charleston.  They really got slammed.  It destroyed the PetSmart there, too.  The rain is supposed to end tomorrow, at least in the area of NC where I am.  Stay safe, all. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are stranded In our community. I had a 12:00 doctor appointment, but cancelled now. It is raining and water is over the road every way out of here. I am warm, dry and well fed and the electricity is still working. Thank the Lord. :nod:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I saw the floods and rain on the news this morning, yikes!  I hope everybody is okay.  

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are getting absolutely pounded right now. The wind is blowing the only tree near our house in a direction away from the house. That is a good thing. The other issue is with all this rain, wind, flooding from the creeks and rivers, I want to hide when the mosquitoes come out. That is going to happen. The grass in our yard needed cutting a week ago and now is past that. Once it dries out, hubby said he will have to use the sweeper to clean it up, put it in a pile and burn it. I want sunshine. :nod:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are getting absolutely pounded right now. The wind is blowing the only tree near our house in a direction away from the house. That is a good thing. The other issue is with all this rain, wind, flooding from the creeks and rivers, I want to hide when the mosquitoes come out. That is going to happen. The grass in our yard needed cutting a week ago and now is past that. Once it dries out, hubby said he will have to use the sweeper to clean it up, put it in a pile and burn it. I want sunshine.
I'll send you some fresh Florida sunshine. This one went right past us. Please be careful and stay indoors. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It has been a long day. The rain has not been as bad today. But we have been stranded all day. Schools are closed for tomorrow. I hope the water will go down, but they must not think it will be gone since they have closed the schools.