Humping problem and common causes

Black cat rescuer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  • So I just got a cat after not having one for many years, it's a boy and he is not nurtured yet. Last night I guess he got to a blanket and started to hump it this morning I woke up to him meowing and anytime I go to pet him he meows and try's to grab my arm and bite it this is the first time he has ever acted this way and I was just wondering if anyone knew if this was normal or should I be worried? Thanks you I literally made an account just to see if anyone knew.
    I have a 10 y/o neutered male short hair cat who has recently begun humping everything! He drags my clothes out of the laundry basket and humps them, as well as his cat toys, pillows, blankets, etc. Seems to be anything soft and/or furry. This is an actual humping action, not just kneading. He makes odd crying sounds and just humps away. It's not only strange, but it is very irritating as he does this in the middle of the night and wakes us up.
After searching the internet and finding many stories about similar behaviors and nothing about any real solutions... I called the University of California at Davis - Small Animal Hospital of Behavior Science. I had a 10 minute consultation with a graduate student who specializes in feline behavior problems. He said that it's a common occurance in neutered male cats, that likely happens when the cat is seeking attention. This behavior can be brought on by a traumatic experience like an injury or surgery, or when a new cat or human is brought into the household. The cat that's humping is manifesting it's need for affection/attention through it's humping behavior. The humping behavior is not neccessarily a sexual behavior, it's just a physical reaction to their feelings of neediness.

The solution is to give the cat extra attention, especially when it starts with the humping behavior. Pick the cat up, talk to the cat, pet the cat, etc. In extreme situations, an anti-depressant can be prescribed for the cat (I do not support this idea), which will not only improve the cat's state of happiness but also will decrease it's sex drive (as it does in humans).

I hope that this info helps some of you out there. I've been paying extra attention to my cat and he has decreased his humping behavior. I'm hoping that it will eventually just go away.[/QUOTE

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
  • So I just got a cat after not having one for many years, it's a boy and he is not nurtured yet. Last night I guess he got to a blanket and started to hump it this morning I woke up to him meowing and anytime I go to pet him he meows and try's to grab my arm and bite it this is the first time he has ever acted this way and I was just wondering if anyone knew if this was normal or should I be worried? Thanks you I literally made an account just to see if anyone knew.
If your cat has not been neutered.. this is his 'reproductive' behavior.
He needs to be neutered.

After neutering, you cat will probably still have the hormones flowing for a while and will want to continue with the behavior.

After a while it could just become a habit with something soft and fleece... My guy is 13 yrs old and still gets very "happy" with his soft fleece throw... Many cats do this..

scottsam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Im having a similar problem and looking for a solution. I have 2 cats, 1 male and 1 female. My male never humped anything until we brought in the female. He was 5 she was 6 wks. He did not start humping her till she wa 4 mns and now its an big issues. I will explain, when he humps her he is biting her back to the point she cries but she never leave she just sits there and takes it. He is biting her mid back and humping air way behind her. BUT he has pinched a nerve in her back and everytime he really gets on her biting, he irriates it and she is in discomfort due to it. Im trying to give him his own special places and extra attention but it keeps happening. I wondering if there is something out there that I could put on her back that is oderless but taste bad and safe for cats. I say odorless becuase I dont want to to this all the time, only a few until he realizes the taste is bad. But if its something he can smell, he will know when its not on her. I know it may cause a grooming issue with her but think thats better than her having painful back problems. Any suggestions as to what I can use? Any help is appreciated.