Hummingbird

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Aren’t they amazing? I love them too! We have Anna’s hummingbirds year round in Oregon. When it gets below about 28°F at night, I have to bring in the feeders and then get them out as early as possible the next morning. The little guys come out of torpor and start feeding at dawn and really need the energy in the winter!
View media item 422722

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Lol, this is fantastic!! I'm envious, I can't get as good a picture :)
I know! It's very tough to get good photos of them. I don't feed them but we have lots of native plants that are hummingbird-friendly. I have some Mexican sage plants right outside my window and the hummers come feed from them every morning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, this is fantastic!! I'm envious, I can't get as good a picture :)
i cheated. I use a long range lens and then cropped the photo to get a little closer. Love the video! We only have the ruby throated hummers here and they leave us at the end of September.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Back in my heyday of technical rock climbing, I was high on a crag in Mission Gorge, leading a climb with a friend belaying from an anchor at the base of the cliff. I heard a whirring noise and immediately thought: "Rockfall!!!" Falling stones make a whirring noise once they pick up enough velocity, you understand. I hastily leaned in toward the cliff face, gripping holds and expecting the worst... looked over to my left to see a hummingbird hovering a yard away in midair, the bird staring directly at me as if to ask, "What the HECK are YOU doing up here?" It was comical, and thankfully there was no painful blow from a falling rock... I love hummingbirds, they're like omens of good luck to me, same way I used to feel lucky whenever I saw a dolphin offshore. :cool: