Human grade lysine for cats

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, that is the exact one I use, and I swear it works better than the stuff I was getting from the vet (Viralys) as both my respiratory kitties are improved since I've been adding the NOW stuff to their foods.

pandawolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How often do you give your cats the L-Lysine? And how do I do the ratio of the human grade to the one from vet? I have 8 I am giving the cat version it's powder but no one has powder. So I wanted to see how I could use the human grade powder since it's readily available. Thanks so much..:-)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The maintenance dose is 500mg a day, or 250 mg twice a day.  For flare ups, the dose is 1000mg, or 500mg twice daily.  Since Lysine is an amino acid, it passes through the kitty's system as it urinates, so it's important to keep the supply in the cat's system, hence the twice a day dosing.  If you're using the powder, 1/4 teaspoon = 435 mg, so give a heaping teaspoon to equal 500mg.

pandawolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok..thank you I have been giving them all 2 of the scoops the vet version cane with it says 1 but I have been doubling it. I was told that the vet kind isn't actually really 500 my so used my own judgment and went with more. They are all on doxycycline..pedialtye..L-Lysine and raw honey and seem to be responding well. But my little female cat is having to be feed syringes of baby food as well. But her nose ..head and ears are now cool not hot so I am thinking her fever is gone or praying it is. Now to make sure the other 10 keeping showing progress in healing. My little Zoe hasn't slept besides since she got sick Thursday last week and I laid down to take a nap woke up with her snuggled up beside me under the blankets like she normally does so hoping that is a good sign not bad. Thank you so much for the reply I appreciate it.

mejohnnycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This company is a subsidiary of Nature's Bounty. They are called Piping Rock, and I've used their product for about a year now. Their price for L-Lysine powder is much cheaper than I've found anywhere else.

http://www.pipingrock.com/l-lysine

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yep, that is the exact one I use, and I swear it works better than the stuff I was getting from the vet (Viralys) as both my respiratory kitties are improved since I've been adding the NOW stuff to their foods.
@cprcheetah   , I just ordered the Now Foods Lysine powder for my cats ..

Are you still giving to your cats ?   What daily dosage do you give ?

My cats will sneeze occasionally but no other symptoms so I want to give the Lysine as a preventative mostly .

Last edited:

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My herpes boy has been on the Now brand lysine powder for quite a long time. In conjunction with bovine lactoferrin, it is very effective. Without the lactoferrin, it is less effective, but still much better than when he was on nothing.

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do you guys get your cats to eat it? I got the Lysine treats/chews from Petsmart, but she won't touch them. I've been cutting them up and sprinkling them on her dry food to at least get some of it into her. I feel like the powder would be easier, but if I put it on her wet food she might not eat it at all. She turns her nose up at any food that smells even slightly different :S

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm fortunate because my boy isn't about to turn down food. ;-)   At first when I was getting lysine pills and crushing them with a pill crusher he was just a little finicky, but he got over it pretty quickly.  He has no problem with the Now brand lysine powder.  He's a urinary blockage kitty as well as a herpes kitty, so he gets prescription canned food which I also water down so it's a thick soup consistency.  He's very good about all of it.  The bovine lactoferrin that he also gets for the herpes must taste good to cats, because if I forget to put away a partially used capsule he'll steal it and eat it.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How do you guys get your cats to eat it? I got the Lysine treats/chews from Petsmart, but she won't touch them. I've been cutting them up and sprinkling them on her dry food to at least get some of it into her. I feel like the powder would be easier, but if I put it on her wet food she might not eat it at all. She turns her nose up at any food that smells even slightly different :S
My cats are super picky as well .  I was afraid they may not eat the Lysine powder but the Now brand has no flavor other than a bit salty . I mix a 1/4  teaspoon plus some hot water with their Iams pate  and they do not seem to notice ..  I started with a little less and worked up to a 1/4 tsp.

alismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I buy feline lysine at the health food store-big bottle for less than $10.  

It comes in a capsule and i sprinkle a bit on her wet food each times she eats it during the day.

It has no taste to it and she eats it right up when it is mode din and hidden with her dry food.

ann2tie713

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I buy powdered Lysine from my Vet and give it to my cats in their drinking water everyday. Initially, only one cat was drinking it, but when the other two saw him they started too. Now all three drink it and LOVE it!!!