Human Bedding And Cat Hair

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm here to talk about bedding. We have gone through 2 comforters in six months due to washing them because we have three cats and two sleep in our bed on a regular basis- ie, we can't just not wash the bedding. We broke down a got a quilt, which has helped tremendously and does not clump like a traditional comforter when washed. However, I know that we will have to do something eventually, especially if we move to a colder climate like we are planning on doing within the year. Yes, I know we can do blankets, but blankets are too heavy for me, if that makes sense (yes, this is very high maintenance...!).

Can anyone recommend sheets to use? Emerson sleeps by my head so that part of the bed/one corner of my pillowcase is always orange. Has anyone had any success with different materials that helps minimize the amount of hair that sticks to sheets?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For sticking to the sheets, no. But for getting it off, dryer sheets, wool dryer balls, washer agitator balls, and FurZappers really help

^^^ that's what I mean, but I found them for $10 at Walmart.

Washable down comforters wash well and don't clump, as long as the down is dried thoroughly. So if you need something warmer, that should do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
We have those exact fur zappers and I really can't tell a difference between using them and not. The cats enjoy playing with them when they fall out of the sheets and towels as we fold them!

I will keep the down comforter in mind! Also (and this is a silly question because I've never used one), can duvet covers be removed and washed? Can you sleep under a duvet or are they for show?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duvet covers are removeable but they're a pain. Some down comforters have little strips on the corners to tie the duvet cover on (it goes on easier if you have it inside out, tie the bottom corners to the comforter, and then turn it right side out).

I think agitator balls and dryer balls get more fur off.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use one of those hair-removal brushes, a lot. I have six cats, four of which are quite furry, so there's a lot of hair. For whatever the reason, the hair doesn't stick much to the comforter I use, not sure why.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a very cold climate and use multiple layers of bedding. Top and bottom sheets of course, then a flannel top sheet (very lightweight but warm) as a blanket and last a bedspread that stays on the bed as a blanket. Depending on how cold it is it is either a chenille bedspread or a fleece one. During the day I also throw another small blanket over the cats favorite sleeping spot to minimize the cat hair in the bedspread. Because each layer is relatively lightweight it is easy to switch them out and wash them with the rest of the bedding. So pretty much the whole bed gets washed every week.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
washed? Can you sleep under a duvet or are they for show?
I live in Germany, where duvets are the norm. People don't use flat sheets, but sleep directly under a covered duvet. The covers are laundered just as you would any other bed linens. I regularly put the duvets - down-filled for cold weather, polyester-filled for milder weather - in the washer and dryer.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
get a duvet for the comforter. Then the duvet gets washed, not the comforter.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We put an old bed sheet on top of the top layer of blankets. The sheet is used even when we sleep.

Its a simple matter to wash and dry the bed sheet.

We have a few of them and call them "cat blankets".

The cats sleep on the cat blanket and the fur stays on that sheet.

Washing a comforter or duvet cover evey week would be expensive and quite a hassle.

20151211_120342.jpg