Huge Recall On Dechra Veterinary Opthalmic Products

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Jamie was treated last week for conjunctivitis and prescribed Vetropolycin HC; however, since last Friday there has been little improvement. Today I received an email from Consume Affairs which stated that large numbers of Vetropolycin, Vetropolycin HC, and Puralube were recalled. When I checked Jamie's tube, the NDC number differed by only one digit, so I called Dechra to verify that his tube was still okay, despite no improvement. The representative said that I needed to read to her the lot number which consisted of three letters and an expiration date in numeric form as that was the determining factor. Sure enough, his matched. His vet did not know, but they do now and I am waiting for an alternative prescription. If anyone is using eye ointment for their cat, it might be a good idea to check....it can be used for dogs and humans as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I was refunded my money by my vet and given another type of eye drop for Jamie. He is responding very quickly to it. The recall actually began on August 22, Jamie did not see the vet until August 23; however, in the next week their supplier (or whose ever fault this is) did not get the information or act on it. The recall was for "quality assurance control" which technically does not mean that anything was found wrong in the product, but that some step might have been in question in the process.....but it absolutely was defective.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To be absolutely fair to all involved, like humans, different cats respond differently to medications. HOWEVER, even if that is the case, and your cat was just never going to respond to that one, thank GOODNESS for the recall, since it meant not wasting any time finding the one that did!