Huge Lymphnodes In Neck. But Not Cancer?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has experience with this and what you did to help the nodes go away! We suspect my cats haywire immune system is to blame since he has ITP (immune system kills platelets) he is currently in remission and off all the meds he was on his whole life to keep things okay (he spent a month in critical care and they stopped all immunosuppressive drugs he was on to give his immune system a chance to beat the DKA/sepsis/pancreatitis) . It worked. Platelets fine but his neck lymphnodes are like a bag of marbles/size of a quarter. Got all of them tested (twice) showed inflammation and that's it. No answers how to get them down. I've emailed a few hollistic vets to figure this out (he is also anemic first time in his life and eating litter) I suspect they're going hand in hand. Had a fever earlier too. His nodes have swollen up before but just one.

It's almost like his immune system is taking a break from destroying platelets now on to something else.

I just dont know if he needs anti inflammatories? He itches at the neck too. And trust me he has had every test in the book done even recently Addisons disease. It's like he needs some herbs. But what kind? I'd like to not have him on immunosuppressive drugs until absolutely necessary.. why is he so difficult? Sigh

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, in humans, swollen lymph nodes can occur in the presence of infection (that inflammation you spoke of, perhaps), but...the best articles I came up with are the ones that FeebysOwner FeebysOwner gave you. She and I are often on the same wavelength.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lymph nodes are there to 'catch' and filter anything that shouldn't be in the blood. I'm sure his body is in overdrive manufacturing all kinds of inflammation, etc. if it has been suppressed for so long. It's like it doesn't remember how to be normal. It will, it just takes time for everything to get back to 'normal' for him. Being in critical care fro a month didn't help his circulation either, and most likely he wasn't drinking as musch either from stress. For humans we recommend warm compresses to increase circulation in the area, ask your vet. Encourage exercise and water. That poor baby deserves a break, I'll keep precious Morton in my thoughts and prayers......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all. He got diagnosed with a red blood cell parasite. I asked the er place about this on Friday and they dismissed it. I emailed my boss (my kitty's vet since a baby) and he immediately sent the test in with the blood he collected from him recently and it came back positive. He will be on 4 weeks of doxy. The insane thing is he is only indoor and never had any fleas and thats how its transmitted. Unless my old cat is a carrier and gave it to my kitty.. I have no idea. But it makes SO much sense since this parasite is located upper respiratory system and nasal area. 2 in 20 anemic cats usually have it and I guess his is the less severe type but he definitely has a fever on and off and the lymph nodes are keeping him from eating well they are GIANT

Maybe he somehow caught it in emergency care for that 9 days? So many sick animals around

I wonder if this parasite is keeping his ITP in check. I have read platelets usually are higher in event of infection. Makes me wonder when he is done with the month of antibiotics if his ITP will relapse

He got 50mg iron injection and b12 injection yesterday.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all. He got diagnosed with a red blood cell parasite. I asked the er place about this on Friday and they dismissed it. I emailed my boss (my kitty's vet since a baby) and he immediately sent the test in with the blood he collected from him recently and it came back positive. He will be on 4 weeks of doxy. The insane thing is he is only indoor and never had any fleas and thats how its transmitted. Unless my old cat is a carrier and gave it to my kitty.. I have no idea. But it makes SO much sense since this parasite is located upper respiratory system and nasal area. 2 in 20 anemic cats usually have it and I guess his is the less severe type but he definitely has a fever on and off and the lymph nodes are keeping him from eating well they are GIANT

Maybe he somehow caught it in emergency care for that 9 days? So many sick animals around

I wonder if this parasite is keeping his ITP in check. I have read platelets usually are higher in event of infection. Makes me wonder when he is done with the month of antibiotics if his ITP will relapse

A speed recovery! I wouldn’t be surprised he caught a flea(s) at the clinic or outside. Especially if he wasn’t already on flea treatment when he got there. It’s insane hkw much trouble such a small thing like a flea can cause ugh

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did find ONE live one in my house but not on any of my kitties. He got bravecto applied once and apparantely good for 3 months. Never found fleas on him or other kitty. He was found on the streets all filthy at about 4 weeks old so it's been a year and a half since then but him just now getting symptoms seems like he would have just gotten it. one lymph node has swelled up once a few months ago but went away eventually but this is his whole neck and behind his ears he gulps loud when trying to eat I'm sure they're pressing on his throat :(

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If he's the less severe type, this is a somewhat silver lining to this cloud. From what I understand the more severe cases are difficult to treat even with transfusions but the milder type can be controlled at home.
I'm sorry he's having this happen, but I'm glad they have it figured out and are treating it well. Doxy should help him a lot as should the iron and b-12 for his anemia.
Keeping my fingers crossed he responds well and is back to normal in no time, and you can both get some much deserved R&R :catlove:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did find ONE live one in my house but not on any of my kitties. He got bravecto applied once and apparantely good for 3 months. Never found fleas on him or other kitty. He was found on the streets all filthy at about 4 weeks old so it's been a year and a half since then but him just now getting symptoms seems like he would have just gotten it. one lymph node has swelled up once a few months ago but went away eventually but this is his whole neck and behind his ears he gulps loud when trying to eat I'm sure they're pressing on his throat :(
Just based on his history you've got in your signature tells me he's right where he needs to be with you. Give the shots and Doxy some time to work for him. Does he like wet food? Maybe pureeing it a bit with water, broth, goats milk or KMR would make it easier for him to lap up?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is for dogs, and is a facebook group so who knows if it's accurate, but it might be worth some more research.
"AE reports also included leucocytois (elevated white blood cells) and complaints asserting that administration of Bravecto® had triggered development of Immune-Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA), a complex disorder in which the dog's immune system destroys its own red blood cells. "

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard of that with bravecto! Only after I gave it to him... it is SO hard to pin things all together especially with him but I will say his fevers on and off started in may 2 weeks after bravecto... he never felt warm to me before that or showed signs of fever. He did have on and off gi issues but he was on cyclosporine and all this crap for his ITP.

I seriously wonder if bravecto caused the fevers because it's been almost 4 months and fever again! He got a topical treatment in may.

This is all just scary as like you've probably read he had diabetic ketoacidosis (somehow isnt diabetic anymore) sepsis and pancreatitis last month. Somehow lived but is still having strange issues here and there. The lymphnodes I'm really hoping can go down with the doxy it's just absolutely awful hearing him gulp loud like hes uncomfortable eating... hes always been a horrible eater and hard to get to eat being just a year and a half old. He was eating super well about 2 days ago but seems the fever and stuff is bringing him down

His lymphocytes are always high too. But off the immunosuppressive drugs his white blood cells are normal. I know he will have to go back on them eventually I know he will have an ITP relapse but i just want to give him a break

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd ask your vet if they know anything about the potential cause, but to be honest with you my friend at this point I would focus more on treating him and less about what caused it for now. As you say, he's been through so much and he (and you) deserve a break and getting him feeling his best. After he's doing better, examine possible causes. We can piece things together but we never know for sure, and that sure is frustrating :alright:
It sounds like your primary vet is on top of this, and with as many stories here on TCS about vets just sending sick cats home with the attitude of "can't help you", you're very lucky. He's in very good hands.
:wave3:

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It just sucks because he was feeling pretty great once he came back from the hospital the second time over a week ago except the lymphnodes. Then he started getting a fever and the lymphnodes got bigger and bigger. He was eating so well to . I get so stressed out when he doesnt eat it seriously ruins my day. And him being diabetic one month to this month not being diabetic it just worries me he could get dka again. Meh!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just sucks because he was feeling pretty great once he came back from the hospital the second time over a week ago except the lymphnodes. Then he started getting a fever and the lymphnodes got bigger and bigger. He was eating so well to . I get so stressed out when he doesnt eat it seriously ruins my day. And him being diabetic one month to this month not being diabetic it just worries me he could get dka again. Meh!
How has he been today?
Yep, I've said before when they have a good day, we have a good day and when they have a bad spell, so do we. Nothing wrecks my day like a sick animal that isn't eating.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How has he been today?
Yep, I've said before when they have a good day, we have a good day and when they have a bad spell, so do we. Nothing wrecks my day like a sick animal that isn't eating.
I actually cant eat until he eats it's really bad :( he ate okay today. Had 1.5 meat "tubes" I call them they're the inaba churu treats. He had about 15 2 calorie treats and some dry throughout the da . He's much calmer today slept in his closet spot most of the day then moved to the bed and got sooo comfy looking it made me happy how comfy he looked. I keep my window open all the way and the bed is against the wall and he loves just lying on the bed sniffing the air. He doesnt seem like he feels all too great today it comes in waves though he will seem good for a few hours then kind or look meh for the next few.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's still fighting something very big to his little body. If he acts a little off for a few hours, that's probably normal and I'm glad he's having those hours where he seems like he's doing well :wave3:
I wouldn't be surprised if he rests and sleeps a great deal until he's more stable. I know when I feel bad, I want to sleep it off. When we sleep, our bodies do so much damage control and repairs to tissues, organs, etc., so while he sleeps, his little body is working to beat this.
:grouphug:

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah he was cuddling me this morning being very cute and asking for food at 1 and 4 am so I put the bowl down by my bed but he only nibbles if I'm petting him. He has been sprawled out on his back covering his face all day. Very cute looking. It makes me sad when I see him loafing kind of hanging his head I know they do that when theyre uncomfortable but all early this morning and today he seems content

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason, petting seems to get them to eat. We've found this to be a very reliable way to get a lot of cats off their food to eat.
Stay in contact with your vet as much as you can. It might help you and him (and the vet!) to keep a little journal, or log, on how he behaves and how much (and what of) he eats every day. That way, if you go, say, two weeks without seeing the vet, and they ask you how much he's ate, you'll be able to tell them what he's ate, how much, on what days, and how he's acted on those days too as well as his elimination habits. It sounds a little over the top, but for a sick animal, I think it's a pretty good idea to avoid any confusion.