Huge Dilemma... Need Advice

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you looked into community resources that might help you. Do you belong to a church ?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Borax & flea baths didn't really work. Raid foggers, Cherstin and the yard flea killer worked for us (in our case the yard was infesting the cats.) At the same time I was vacuuming and washing all the bedding. Yes the cool weather in the fall will provide relief as the fleas hibernate. You are still going to need to spray/sprinkle your yard during the winter (hopefully you will have jobs by then.) Unforgettably with fleas there is no quick answer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaniJer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, I don't know what else to do. I don't know what else to try.

I've tried everything you have all recommended, except those outside of my budget or capabilities. We even flea bombed the toolshed, waited a full day, then took all of the cats to the toolshed and bombed the house while we sat in there with them for the entire day. All day long, 80 degrees, in a shed with nothing but a fan and plenty of water.

Every time I do something, we find thousands of dead fleas, and we have no bites and everything seems great, until the very next morning. I sprayed the hell out of the basement last night and found an awesome natural oils spray for the cats that seemed to work like a charm. We didn't see a single flea all day. NOW, they're back. all 15000 of them. They won't stay gone longer than, like, 12 hours. I don't know what to do. I'm behind on my bills trying to pay for this stuff, I can't handle this.

I might have to get rid of my babies... if only for their own sanity and safety at this point.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you get rid of your cats, you will still have fleas.

It's eggs hatching the next day that's your problem. You will have fleas until all larvae and eggs are gone. You appear to be succeeding in killing adult fleas, but not eggs.

What EXACTLY are you using?

Have you tried any of the SPECIFIC spray products that we've mentioned?

And are you VACUUMING and disposing of the contents?

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you own this house ? At this point I would probably take the hit and pull all the rugs/padding out of the house.
Have you looked for rescues in your area that might be willing to help. Keep your allergic cat , all of them while you sort this out , offer help it's probably cheaper if they help you keep your cats or as a last resort help you rehome them.
Do you own or know someone with a high powered shop vac ? Some of those will pull the color out of the rug.
Do you think that by getting the allergic cat out of the house you could use spot treatment on them to help break the flea cycle ?
Letting go of your pets during financial hardship can have repercussions on your relationship later.
If you have a landlord do you have a relationship where you can ask them to fumigate your home and take it from a damage deposit or let you pay over time ?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great idea. Maybe put Frontline on all the non-allergic cats and have someone take the allergic cat for a while and possibly bathe her?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prednisone shot plus vet visit $120-$140 Bottle of 4mg Chlorpheniramine tablets I cut in half and give to my allergic kitty every 12 hours at the first sign of his lip swelling? $19. Just saying. Cherestin for 2 cats? 30$ a month. Not having to freak out and borrow money from my family to rush my cat to the vet (and be eating less the next month)? Priceless.

Is it possible to keep your cats out of the basement and worse case scenario quarantine your cat in a bedroom bath while keeping all the other cats out of the bathroom? Vacuuming every day is really necessary. If your flea problem is that extreme best to call the exterminators and get it over with. Maybe ask your local church or a go-fund me page? Even if you ditch the cats the fleas will still be there. You are a handy blood source to.

ThomasF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Foggers are pyrethrums (or synthetic derivatives thereof) and are ineffective for fleas. Pyrethrums are used by professionals as a flushing agent because it is an irritant. So using a fogger must be done in conjunction with another chemical.
Fleas are particularly vulnerable to specific chemicals (the same agents are very destructive to ants, bees and wasps) like Sevin and Ficam (a carbamide no longer available) and sometimes very resistant to the usually effective chemicals. In past when I was short of funds I have successfully utilized dog/cat flea powder in the house. Keep in mind fleas inhabit carpets and fabrics (and lawns and weeds) not typically bare wood floors (or bare any floors), concrete etc. therefore you should concentrate on carpeted areas and furature etc.
Remember to vacuum BEFORE you treat (and dump the bag OUTSIDE of your house not in your garbage can in the house (BEFORE YOU TREAT). Remove cushions and leave off while fogger is applied and treat the cushions as well with flea powder.
Then bathe your cats with a flea control shampoo (I have never heard of using Dawn on pets) following up with flea powder (or other treatment) later. You don't want to put flea powder on the cat right after if you used a flea control shampoo. You need to wait a bit which info should be in the flea shampoo and/or powder. The point of "foggers" used with say, Sevin is to flush the fleas out of their hiding place in order to expose them to the wet spray which is the chemical that will kill them.
Just to let you know I had a very similar issue with a yard I once treated for fleas using the standard spray, then an intense follow treatment which both failed. What I did then was use a chemical that was considered ineffective for fleas (but had I the last been very effective) this worked well. Good luck with your kitties. I have three with all kind of troubles but they are like my children so I deal with it- sometimes having a lot of stress

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have an off the grid possibility for killing the fleas but need others to chime in.

So I know this would be completely experimental. I can't find anything saying it's toxic to cats but i would test the basement and outside of the house (if cats are inside only) treating it as if it's toxic to cats.

Eryrthritol (truvia- buy the generic ) sprinkle in basement and around outside of house.
This Artificial Sweetener Is Really Good At Killing Bugs I'm wondering if you could kill the reproductive cycle with it. I was just thinking you could test a couple packets in the basement assuming the cats don't go there(if you have any on hand or grab a few from local coffee shop).

Please feel free to post any cat toxicity info for it. I know it's untested and out in left field but wanted to say least suggest it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaniJer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Holy. Freaking. Crap.

It looks like we may have found a solution. Yesterday morning I went to Walmart and spent about $80 on absolutely everything I could afford. I bought Capstar, A spray I will share with you shortly, and a few other products. I believe I hit the jackpot with these products and this procedure below:

1. This was already in the house from when this infestation started, but I have 3 electric flea traps. 2 are the electric traps with the glue pads (I didn't want my cats drinking the soapy water) and the 3rd is a desk lamp over a lasagna pan full of soapy water. These all work and have been working pretty well.

2. Natural Care Flea and Tick Home Spray
This stuff here is... a miracle spray. You can spray it anywhere, on anything. You can spray it directly on the cats. It smells like peppermint, and IT WORKS. As soon as I sprayed this on them, the buggers started falling off like crazy. I sprayed the cats and every inch of the house. Even though I sprayed it on the cats, it still just felt right to not let them in the room until the floor dried, so I didn't. Probably an unnecessary precaution all things considered. I mean, I'm spraying it right on them.

3. Cutter Backyard Bug Control Hose End 32oz.
I used this in the yard, and I soaked the entire foundation walls in this stuff. Then, I took it into the basement and hosed down the basement with it. The fumes are VERY mild, and an open window with a fan was all I really feel I needed. I checked with my vet before using this indoors, and she assured me that so long as the cats didn't go down in the basement until this was dry that there should be no problem.

I've been repeating this process a few times, and I've noticed far less bugs. But here's the kicker: Not only have I noticed far less bugs, my babies are PLAYING! They haven't played in so long, and it does my heart so good to know that this IS working.

Thank you all for your love and support. We will be on this forum to assist any others who have experienced problems we have gone through, so that we may give back to this wonderful community.

I will keep you posted on how this works. After all, it's only day 2 (almost 3) so we still have to see what happens after *gulp* the hatching.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! The flea cycle is about 10 days, and you probably have fleas at every stage, so stay vigilant and you can win this battle!

So glad to hear you sounding hopeful, and to hear that your cats feel well enough to play!

Keep us posted! :)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Exactly, due to the extreme infestation, you will have hatchers probably daily for some time, so just keep doing what you're doing until the little creeps are history, then make sure to keep up with prevention for them.

Good job!!

I must admit, as I was reading through this thread I started having some very desperate thoughts, like torching them with fire, drowning them, and so on......jeez....
This is dangerous and very unhealthy for your cats as well, not only frustrating to the point of wanting to leap out of their skins, but causes anemia too, sucking the blood to anemia.
That explains the relief displayed with playing again :)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
that oil you are using= Peppermint oil-it's natural and kills the buggers. I had a few vials of this oil from my vet to put on the base of the neck-I didn't care for how greasy it was BUT it did the trick. The oil drowns the fleas. It won't stop eggs from hatching-but WILL drown them. since they breathe through their skin.

Good job! Glad you found something that works! Now to treat your yard and back areas too-who knows how long those buggers have been living there...Fleas..the most evil bug ever next to mosquitoes!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I only skimmed most of the comments, but are you able to use a flea bomb?
Put one on every level of your house. You have to take the cats out, any plants, and leave the house for a few hours. The flea bomb will kill everything. Because the fleas are in the carpet, your couches, the window drapes, pillows, sheets, blankets, they get into anything. The flea bomb kills them all over the house. Then you have to bathe your cats and get a flea comb and make sure you get the fleas off of them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Raid-Max...75035&wl11=online&wl12=11046041&wl13=&veh=sem
upload_2017-8-1_9-58-3.png

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Put out salt now, I used popcorn salt and a shaker I found on Amazon. Very fine salt. I also live in a dry are so I can leave it for days. I left mine out for a week+ before I vacuumed. It kills the eggs and newly hatched in a week or so. It has to be left on for several days if at all possible.

I am glad you found the peppermint oil for your babies, now kill the flea babies!