Hs Anyone Tried Honest Kitchen

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Honest Kitchen Dehydrated food in either the chicken or the turkey? I have not bought it yet just curious before I do what others think of it and if it is a healthy food.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've used the Prowl before on the recommendation of the Aby breeder. It's a good food but expensive. I stopped feeding it after awhile since my Aby really wasn't interested in snacking on it during the day. It's a good product overall. It's a good way to feed raw if you don't have the freezer space for frozen raw. The powdered food must be rehydrated in water for a few minutes before serving. You can make the food soupy if your cat likes that.

You can get a sample of Prowl and  Grace from The Honest Kitchen's web site. A sample csots $1. Sometimes a pet store will have free samples. You can ask at a store that sells The Honest Kitchen's products.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't used Honest Kitchen: it's too high in carbohydrate and has potato, which one of our cats can't eat. The Honest Kitchen site has full nutrient profiles for both foods: Grace is 14% carb and Prowl is 19%, dry matter. For freeze-dried foods, I feed our cats Stella & Chewy and Primal because they're both much lower in carbs. The cats love both brands and I totally agree with LTS3 about the convenience of free-dried foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding. I will look into the 2 brands that you suggest. Do you feed only free-dried or do you feed other types of as well? I have 3 cats and 2 will eat wet food and one will occasionally. So I thought maybe she would eat the free dried. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaHE  

I haven't used Honest Kitchen: it's too high in carbohydrate and has potato, which one of our cats can't eat. The Honest Kitchen site has full nutrient profiles for both foods: Grace is 14% carb and Prowl is 19%, dry matter. For freeze-dried foods, I feed our cats Stella & Chewy and Primal because they're both much lower in carbs. The cats love both brands and I totally agree with LTS3 about the convenience of free-dried foods.

Last edited:

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I've used the Prowl before on the recommendation of the Aby breeder. It's a good food but expensive. I stopped feeding it after awhile since my Aby really wasn't interested in snacking on it during the day. It's a good product overall. It's a good way to feed raw if you don't have the freezer space for frozen raw. The powdered food must be rehydrated in water for a few minutes before serving. You can make the food soupy if your cat likes that.

You can get a sample of Prowl and  Grace from The Honest Kitchen's web site. A sample csots $1. Sometimes a pet store will have free samples. You can ask at a store that sells The Honest Kitchen's products.
I definitely do not have the freezer space. I can barely fit food for my daughter and I in the freezer and garage barely fits my car.

I am going to look into getting a sample on their web sight. It didn't look too terribly expensive but then I wasn't sure how much to feed  daily and how long the large box would last split between 3 cats.

What do you feed your cats now?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Honest Kitchen suggests 1/4 to 1/2 cup of dry powder (mixed with the same amount of water) for a 6 to 10 pound cat.

The Honest Kitchen is dehydrated raw food. Freeze dried raw food is processed differently and is also a good choice for cats
Most freeze dried raw comes in nugget shapes. These also need to be rehydraed before serving, though it can be fed dry if needed.No refrigeration needed. Stella and Chewy's is a good brand. Nature's Variety Instinct is another one. However, the bags tend to be pretty small so a bag won't last 3 cats for more than a few days.

I feed my cats raw food. My Aby is eating raw with a premix and the other is still slowly transitioning from NV raw to the raw with premix.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for responding. I will look into the 2 brands that you suggest. Do you feed only free-dried or do you feed other types of as well? I have 3 cats and 2 will eat wet food and one will occasionally. So I thought maybe she would eat the free dried. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaHE  

The cats get about half raw foods of various types and half canned foods of various types, which seems to work for the people and the cats. To focus on the raw: I currently feed mostly freeze-dried -- and mostly Primal, which the cats love -- but I'm planning to increase the amount of Rad Cat I give them. I also occasionally give them frozen Stella & Chewy's, though I'm not sure I'll buy that again... they like Rad Cat better, particularly the turkey, and it's very good food. It is frozen, though, and you have to portion it out yourself.

FWIW, I started them on Primal with a mix of frozen and freeze-dried because they preferred it that way. Then they decided they preferred freeze-dried only, which is easier for us and doesn't take up freezer space. They get mostly turkey but also some chicken/salmon and a little beef/salmon.

Good luck!

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. You are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to feeding your cats nutritional food. I hope I can do as well for my three and even the dog could benefit from better food too. I can't forget him. Although he is easy because he will eat whatever you put in front of him.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much. You are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to feeding your cats nutritional food. I hope I can do as well for my three and even the dog could benefit from better food too. I can't forget him. Although he is easy because he will eat whatever you put in front of him.
I learned a lot about cat food when our previous cat was sick, most likely with IBD and then lymphoma. We didn't know anything about cat foods until then -- what I learned comes in very handy with our new cats, who are Siamese mixes with sensitive stomachs.

The places where I learned the most about cat foods were catinfo.org, the Natural Cat Care Blog, and The Cat Site. The Natural Cat Care Blog has a great list of foods: she and I use the same criteria to choose foods. I break the rules a little -- one food with carrageenan, one with menadione every now and then as a great -- so our cats can have variety.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also have limited freezer space and wanted a backup food so I looked into the freeze dried/dehydrated options.  I had high hopes for this too - what a boon it would have been for a small city apartment dweller! Unfortunately, all of them are more expensive than frozen raw, and CONSIDERABLY more expensive than homemade or semi-commercial (Hare Today).  If there's a space to put even a small freezer under a table or on a countertop you might want to consider it.  I had thought it might be the opposite because the companies don't have to pay for shipping water or deal with frozen products, but I guess the processing is where the cost comes in.

In general my cats won't reliably eat anything with even small amounts of veggies, which  ruled out Primal (10% veggies) and Honest Kitchen (way too much veggie).  I tried HK and they did eat it but definitely would not if I offered it too frequently (they like variety).  I had high hopes for Ziwipeak but they wouldn't touch it.  So I ended up with Stella and Chewys as the best option - it has basically no vegetable matter.  My cats love it either wet or dry.  The only issue is that it's the most expensive raw food out there, but if you watch prices on Amazon and can get 12 oz bags for $18-19 dollars, you can keep the costs under some semblance of control.