How would you measure a cat's temperature without putting thermometer inside their butts?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
it's just a safety measure in case of one of my cat got sick and i need a way to surely determine if they are ill or not. my vet use a digital thermometer to shove up their anus, which of course i won't do for obvious reason.

do those later - ears thermometer gun work on cats? is it accurate?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
do those later - ears thermometer gun work on cats? is it accurate?
Many vets - as well as doctors or nurses - are sceptical about their being as accurate as a rectal thermometer and won't use them in clinical situations. Still, ear themometers designed for pets seem accurate enough to measure elevated temperatures in a home setting and are a lot easier to use than a rectal thermometer when dealing with nervous cats or ferals/strays.
Investigating the use of non-contact infrared thermometers in cats and dogst-infrared-thermometers-in-cats-and-dogs

Comparison of Body Temperature in Cats Using a Veterinary Infrared Thermometer and a Digital Rectal Thermometer | Request PDFThermometer

Taking Your Pet's Temperature

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Many vets - as well as doctors or nurses - are sceptical about their being as accurate as a rectal thermometer and won't use them in clinical situations. Still, ear themometers designed for pets seem accurate enough to measure elevated temperatures in a home setting and are a lot easier to use than a rectal thermometer when dealing with nervous cats or ferals/strays.
Investigating the use of non-contact infrared thermometers in cats and dogst-infrared-thermometers-in-cats-and-dogs

Comparison of Body Temperature in Cats Using a Veterinary Infrared Thermometer and a Digital Rectal Thermometer | Request PDFThermometer

Taking Your Pet's Temperature
these are so informative! thanks! it doesn't seem to be accurate enough to be worth it. the second link said some cats measured are hyperthermic up to 7 degrees celcius, which probably would be fatal if real. as for rectal thermometer are too risky cos i would probably cause laceration or many other host of problems.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's necessary to check temperature at home. In my experience when your cat has high fever you can probably tell by touching inside their paws, that's how I realized when mine had fever, they felt persistently warmer than usual. Besides they have other signs of sickness anyway. If they have mild fever, I wouldn't trust thermometers. When they have mild fever the chances are either they will get better and their temperature go down, or they will get worse and there will be other signs of sickness that prompts a vet visit.

I think thermometers are more important and necessary when their temperature goes down. And for the times to check on street cats. But on that, I wouldn't trust trying to measure in open air

KatherineE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Admittedly, it is easier to use a rectal thermometer with two people, but it’s never been as hard as I feared it would be. It helps to watch a video or two. I’ve typically felt compelled to take a cat’s temp to see if it’s coming down after treatment has begun, more for my own peace of mind. It’s almost always been clear to me when they’ve had a high fever and need to see the vet.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's necessary to check temperature at home. In my experience when your cat has high fever you can probably tell by touching inside their paws, that's how I realized when mine had fever, they felt persistently warmer than usual. Besides they have other signs of sickness anyway. If they have mild fever, I wouldn't trust thermometers. When they have mild fever the chances are either they will get better and their temperature go down, or they will get worse and there will be other signs of sickness that prompts a vet visit.
I had a cat that got kennel cough after I had boarded her and my other cat. The other cat recovered, but the first one didn't. She had taken refuge in the basement, cool there, and when I stroked her, her ears were hot. Then I stroked her paws and her paw pads were hot and sweaty. I didn't need a thermometer to know she was running a fever and was very sick. I took her to a vet right away and he gave her an antibiotic.