How would you describe my cats?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
What beautiful cats you have there. I have never seen spots on a tabby's back like that, almost like she has some Bengal in her. I am wondering if Charlie is a Blue Maltese.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very cute domestic shorthairs! Majority of cats are no particular breed as all the traits we love are well scattered amongst the domestic cat population. It doesn't work like dog breeds. I am sure lutece lutece or someone else can describe the specific tabby pattern better than I can.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nice domestics! The question about the tabby, is if she is spotted for real, or if she is a very broken mackerel...
Now, this question is most important for a breeder, whom must know if the cat carries the spotted tabby gene or if she carries the mackerel tabby gene... I here and now, talking about a spayed domestic, will call her for a spotted tabby. Not that common, but here we are. :)
(And nay, no trace of any bengal. Even if there ARE spotted bengals, without fancy rosettes. I saw them myself on exhibitions).

The other is a solid blue domestic, with some phantom stripes. Yes jefferd18 jefferd18 , some call unidentified blue cats for Maltese cats. But for example Lutece says its not a good label.
I suppose he could get work as a stand in for a pet quality russian blue, on the night shift. :) (sorry, not more. Real RB, and good look alikes, has also always a silvery gray shimmer on the coat...)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats are gorgeous and look very sweet, too :)

I would describe Arya as a brown spotted tabby domestic shorthair. She has such a lovely face and expression! Spotted tabby is simply a tabby pattern, and doesn't indicate specific breed ancestry. Although it's not the most common tabby pattern in domestic cats, it is also not extremely rare. I'm not seeing any obvious indications of Bengal or other breed ancestry in Arya. She has a beautiful look all her own!

I would describe Charlie as a blue domestic shorthair. He is a handsome cat! He doesn't have a strong resemblance to any of the "blue breeds," however blue domestic shorthairs are wonderful cats in their own right, regardless of breed ancestry :)

"Maltese" was a term used for blue cats in the United States around 1900. Maltese were said to have been very popular at that time, and were bred and shown all over the US. We don't know a lot at this time about what the Maltese looked like, whether it was really a specific breed, or whether it was simply a name used for the blue color. Cat show judges at the time reported that there were all types of Maltese being bred and shown. Later in the 20th century, the Maltese fell out of favor and disappeared. However, it is possible that the early popularity of the Maltese may have spread the dilute (blue) gene throughout the domestic cat gene pool in the US, as the frequency of the dilute gene appears to be higher here in the US than in other parts of the world. So it is not so far-fetched to imagine that a random-bred blue domestic cat like Charlie may have inherited his color from the Maltese of olden days.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats are gorgeous and look very sweet, too :)

I would describe Arya as a brown spotted tabby domestic shorthair. She has such a lovely face and expression! Spotted tabby is simply a tabby pattern, and doesn't indicate specific breed ancestry. Although it's not the most common tabby pattern in domestic cats, it is also not extremely rare. I'm not seeing any obvious indications of Bengal or other breed ancestry in Arya. She has a beautiful look all her own!

I would describe Charlie as a blue domestic shorthair. He is a handsome cat! He doesn't have a strong resemblance to any of the "blue breeds," however blue domestic shorthairs are wonderful cats in their own right, regardless of breed ancestry :)

"Maltese" was a term used for blue cats in the United States around 1900. Maltese were said to have been very popular at that time, and were bred and shown all over the US. We don't know a lot at this time about what the Maltese looked like, whether it was really a specific breed, or whether it was simply a name used for the blue color. Cat show judges at the time reported that there were all types of Maltese being bred and shown. Later in the 20th century, the Maltese fell out of favor and disappeared. However, it is possible that the early popularity of the Maltese may have spread the dilute (blue) gene throughout the domestic cat gene pool in the US, as the frequency of the dilute gene appears to be higher here in the US than in other parts of the world. So it is not so far-fetched to imagine that a random-bred blue domestic cat like Charlie may have inherited his color from the Maltese of olden days.
I have to somewhat disagree when it comes to the Maltese cat. I stayed at a cabin resort seven years ago in Pennsylvania that was famous for their Maltese cats. I found the history that you included about the Maltese fascinating.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to somewhat disagree when it comes to the Maltese cat. I stayed at a cabin resort seven years ago in Pennsylvania that was famous for their Maltese cats. I do find the rest of your comment fascinating.
I'd love to hear more about the Maltese cats at the cabin resort! Some people still do use the term "Maltese" to refer to shorthaired blue cats in general, which may have been what the people at the cabin resort meant by the term. However, as far as I know it has been over 100 years since cats called Maltese were bred and shown.

Here is some discussion from Frances Simpson's Book of the Cat (1903) about the Maltese cats of the late 19th / early 20th century. The link below should take you to page 320, and you can zoom in to read the scanned chapter. It really is fascinating! Unfortunately there are no pictures of Maltese in the book, the only picture in this section is a misplaced white Persian. I have a friend who has a great interest in the Maltese and has collected a lot of written information about them, but it's very difficult to find pictures.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to hear more about the Maltese cats at the cabin resort! Some people still do use the term "Maltese" to refer to shorthaired blue cats in general, which may have been what the people at the cabin resort meant by the term. However, as far as I know it has been over 100 years since cats called Maltese were bred and shown.

Here is some discussion from Frances Simpson's Book of the Cat (1903) about the Maltese cats of the late 19th / early 20th century. The link below should take you to page 320, and you can zoom in to read the scanned chapter. It really is fascinating! Unfortunately there are no pictures of Maltese in the book, the only picture in this section is a misplaced white Persian. I have a friend who has a great interest in the Maltese and has collected a lot of written information about them, but it's very difficult to find pictures.
[/URL][/URL]

I am sure that like Hemingway's beloved polydactyl cats, they are decedents from an earlier time.