How will a blue point ragdoll and a white domestic shorthair's kittens look like??

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some weeks ago we took our White domestic short hair cat up to a lovely Blue point Ragdoll...now she is expecting! :)
We have a very rough idea of how they will look like as it really depends on the kind of genes the kittens will inherit (dominant, recessive genes will play a role).

Bella will be giving birth in only a few days...can't wait to see the kittens!
Does anyone know what the kittens may look like, has anyone had these kinds of kittens?

Thank you.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat is solid white (dominant white gene), each kitten will have at least a 50% chance of being white. Beyond that, it all depends on what color your white cat is masking and what recessive alleles she carries... so the babies could be almost any color possible in the domestic cat. You would need to do genetic testing to know more.

As far as hair length, if she is homozygous for shorthair, all the babies will be shorthaired. If she carries longhair, each kitten has a 50% chance of being longhaired.

What is the purpose of breeding your domestic shorthair to a bluepoint Ragdoll? Is this some kind of outcross program for the Ragdoll breed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it will depend a lot.
Thanks for your reply. Bella is a short hair, so I think that the kittens will have short hair, some possibly may have more dense, bushy hair. The father has quite long hair...
No, this is not a program.
This is Bella's 4th litter of kittens :)

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think shes just asking why are you breeding her if she is not a purebred lol. Just because she is white? Is the male for sure a purebred ragdoll with papers or just a colorpoint longhair?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think shes just asking why are you breeding her if she is not a purebred
The reason I asked the question was that this thread was originally posted in the "Showing & Ethical Breeding" forum. The thread has since been moved, I'm guessing because it doesn't fit in that forum.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not, color questions are usually here. But still why breed a domestic short hair? If you like having kittens you can always foster pregnant cats for a rescue. That way you will save lives as not many will take pregnant cats or even nursing litters.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it will depend a lot.
Thanks for your reply. Bella is a short hair, so I think that the kittens will have short hair, some possibly may have more dense, bushy hair. The father has quite long hair...
No, this is not a program.
This is Bella's 4th litter of kittens

I hope you show us some images of those kittens. :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not, color questions are usually here. But still why breed a domestic short hair? If you like having kittens you can always foster pregnant cats for a rescue. That way you will save lives as not many will take pregnant cats or even nursing litters.

Maybe she wants this cat ( the one she loves) to have kittens. I would have given anything to have had one of Jeff's kittens.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some weeks ago we took our White domestic short hair cat up to a lovely Blue point Ragdoll...now she is expecting! :)
We have a very rough idea of how they will look like as it really depends on the kind of genes the kittens will inherit (dominant, recessive genes will play a role).

Bella will be giving birth in only a few days...can't wait to see the kittens!
Does anyone know what the kittens may look like, has anyone had these kinds of kittens?

Thank you.
What you will get, depends in much, what Bella has. And as she had 3 previous litters, you should be able to analyse forward, what is hidden under her all white cover. Just to compare the known fathers with the known results.... Or if you dont know the fathers, you know at least the results.

This blue point "ragdoll" is fairly stable, and if he is purebred, he is even more a known entity.

Next advice: as you start with a moggie, there is no point to mate her with a fancy purebred. The product will always be moggies.
If you necessarily want to breed, you can essentially take any healthy tom. Be sure he is healthy without known diseases. As a tip: prefer a tom with a good psyche.... Because the psyche of the tom / stud is hereditary too.
Friendly toms tend to get friendly kittens. So momma and the milieu isnt everything.

But to be honest, I alike the others would be happier if you spayed her. especielly now, after 4 litters.

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies.
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread/area.

I have fostered over 40 different cats before, so I fully know the importance of spaying/neutering.
I always give them to great homes, and ask them to update me regularly on how the kitten is getting on.
Bella is a much much loved cat and her kittens are very loved too.

I will try to post some picture of the kittens for those who are interested.

You can find Bella and the father of the kittens (Churchill) on instagram, I'll be posting kitten pics there.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh well, to each his/her own. If she is getting them great homes- no harm.
Well, there is some harm, because they take homes away from cats in shelters :/. If everybody let their cat have 4 litters (or even 1) we'd be up to our ears in kittens. And after 4 litters, the female should be spayed as she may come to harm if left intact too long.

What colors/patterns have her previous litters had? And what did their fathers look like?

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree, I fully support spaying and neutering.
Previous litters were a beautiful white, some pure white, some black and white, some an interesting stripy colour.
Both times the fathers were beautiful pure charcoal black cats, shorthaired.

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are breeding with a purebred ragdoll because we are hoping that the kittens won't be just like their mum, as Bella possibly has russian White roots or Khao Manee, but we are not sure. 🙂

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both times
I thought this was her 4th litter? What about the 3rd one?

OK, if none of the kittens were orange or tortie, and some were tabbies, she must be dark tabby "under" the white, and carries the solid gene. So you'll see pretty much the same results this time, too, except that about half the kittens will be pointed like their dad, and about half of them will be longhaired, if she carries those genes. And about half will be solid white, this is true of any litter a solid white cat has (unless their mate is also solid white and then all the kittens will be too).
Bella possibly has russian White roots or Khao Manee, but we are not sure
This is highly unlikely. Are there a lot of breeders in your area who are irresponsible with their animals?

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every litter of kittens has a mix of kittens, eg. some white, some stripy, some black.
No, no one is irresponsible. There are not many 'breeders' in our area.

When we got Bella she was classified as a normal shorthair, but her mother looked exactly like a Khao Mannee. The father was unknown.
I've got a lot of experience and have fosters and helped out in cat charities for many years. Unfortunately this is not possible anymore.
in our local cat shelters there are no kittens available, so unfortunately people who want to only take a kitten cannot.

However, I fully understand your concern. 🙂
Thanks.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I agree, I fully support spaying and neutering.
Previous litters were a beautiful white, some pure white, some black and white, some an interesting stripy colour.
Both times the fathers were beautiful pure charcoal black cats, shorthaired.
Interesting. If the fathers were pure black, no white spots, and one of the results are black and white kittens, and some are stripies, ie tabbies, so she
carries All white gene, white spot gene, and tabby gene...
The all white gene is top of the ladder, so if its there in the individual, it will cover everything else... She is heterozygot, so whomever she is, she isnt homozygot, and thus, almost surely not purebred.
so half of her kittens tend to become white, the other half have white spots and or tabby....

The daddy now is a longhairerd blue point...
IF she carries too the point gene, and or the longhair gene, there may be one pointed kitten and or one longhaired kitten in the batch...
IF she carries dilutation gene, some kittens whom arent all white, may be blue / blue white, otherwise they will tend to be black, as blue is diluted black.

Otherwise they will tend to be: all white, and black and white or possibly pure black.

I agree both russian white and khao manee are rare breeds - that rare its just a step or two above to see witches flying around on brooms...

dont count on this if you dont have any reasonable proofs. :)

ps. You saw her momma, and momma had the looks of Khao Manee? Ok, this may be a proof of sorts. After all, I myself know examples of purebred Russian Blue whom got astray, and not all were found.

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Then it's extremely unlikely she has any purebred background. Purebreds have to come from somewhere ;).
We did not get her from our area, and the people we got her from did not know Bella's mum's parents.
I agree, it's unlikely, but Bella's mum had two different coloured eyes. blue and yellow. This is quite a distinct feature.
But thank you.