How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting method :) Is that canned food that you used to mix the crushed pill in?

Will your cat not eat Pill Pockets or other flavored pill dough? Those usually work for most cats.

Another way to get medicine into a cat is to have the medicine compounded into an easier to give form such as a flavored chew treat or transdermal gel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's canned food we mixed his pills with. We use the different canned food since we didn't want Marlow to start hating his regular food.

Your other suggestions are very good ones that we had already tried. Another way of getting a cat to ingest the medicine is putting the food pill mixture on their fur. This worked for Marlow for about 3 months and then he stopped cleaning that area. That's why we started putting it directly in his mouth.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully your tip will help others who find giving pills to a cat difficult :) I put the other suggestions out there so others are aware of other ways to get a pill into a cat. Sometimes vet don't suggest compounding or Pill Pockets.

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sure. Thanks. I didn't know there was a specific forum for hiding pills. I'm new to this discussion group and I'm just loving it!

wonderfulcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Interesting method :) Is that canned food that you used to mix the crushed pill in?

Will your cat not eat Pill Pockets or other flavored pill dough? Those usually work for most cats.

Another way to get medicine into a cat is to have the medicine compounded into an easier to give form such as a flavored chew treat or transdermal gel.
Great video!!! Pilling our cat, Sidney, is too traumatic. He has to now take a daily Cerenia 8 grams tablet. Our vet says ok to crush and put in food, so we got tuna in water (not any kind of broth, just water and no salt) only and finely crushed the tablet with some of its water and tuna (not a lot of tuna). He ate it with no suspicion. What a relief! This dosage is easier to mix with food. The larger the dose, I would suspect, he would get "pill" alarm.

Attachments

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great video!!! Pilling our cat, Sidney, is too traumatic. He has to now take a daily Cerenia 8 grams tablet. Our vet says ok to crush and put in food, so we got tuna in water (not any kind of broth, just water and no salt) only and finely crushed the tablet with some of its water and tuna (not a lot of tuna). He ate it with no suspicion. What a relief! This dosage is easier to mix with food. The larger the dose, I would suspect, he would get "pill" alarm.
I am glad your Sydney is doing well. What an amazing picture. I can see he is a just an incredible cat. Such presence! Best wishes.