How transmissible is Felv

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow cat people! I am just looking for some reassurance.

My housemate and I found a stray cat outside, we fed him and brought him inside (into a room separate from the other cats). But then my housemate took the bowl that he had eaten from (and still had some food in it) and put the bowl on the counter. Of course the cats ate from it and we don’t know if this stray cat has felv or anything which I’ve read is shed in saliva. So how likely are the cats to catch Felv from this one time of eating from a bowl this stray cat ate from. Assuming he might have Felv? I don’t know we are going to bring him to the vet to get his respiratory infection sorted and get him tested for felv and fiv and such. But in the mean time how worried should I be about my own cats?

(Oh and just so you all know we are checking to make sure the cat doesn’t have an owner and if he has no owner we are going to give him to someone who could give him a good home. He is very friendly and seems almost relieved to be inside.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I’ve read that. And my vet told me it is unlikely because Felv doesn’t live very long in the environment. He said like a couple of minutes but some sources I’ve read said a couple hours and I’m just nervous and anxious about the cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have your own cats been vaccinated for FeLV? That would help reduce the odds of transmission. Even so, no vaccination is 100% effective, so let your vet know and they may suggest your cats be tested - they usually recommend waiting 30 days after possible exposure. I am sure this information is likely in the link provided above.

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And yeah. I’m going to get the stray cat tested when I take him to the vet and if he tests positive then I can test our cats as well.

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And our cats have been vaccinated but are not up to date on their Felv vaccines because they are indoor cats. The vet says that they will still have some immunity so that’s good at least.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, try not to panic. The chance that the new cat is infected is rather low, given that between 1 and 2% of cats are infected, per this article: Feline Leukemia Virus Disease Complex. And, even if he is infected, it’s not guaranteed that your cat would have become infected after one time from eating out of that bowl. Of course, continue to exercise caution. Keep the cats separate, wash bowls thoroughly after use, and take the new cat to the vet for a check up and FeLV/FIV test as soon as possible.