How toxic are essential oils to cats?

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am paranoid and I have avoided essential oils like the plague ever since I learned that they could be bad for cats. However, my house mate just got some essential oils and an essential oil diffuser for a gift and I feel like I can't just tell her not to use it at all. Are they okay in moderation? How worried should I be? I just don't want her to go *sigh there goes Katherine being paranoid about the cats again.* But I also will stick up for the cats if it's something that could be really dangerous and such for the cats.

Thanks for any replies.

Hlee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know specifics but I know there are some that are not good for cats.
There are some that can kill pet birds.
I would think they would be ok in moderation.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The key with essential oils and cats is that the diffuser needs to be run in an open room and cats have to have a way to escape them. You also NEVER want to apply oils to cats and you want to keep them out of a cat's reach, so always in a drawer, box, or cabinet where they don't have access to them. If you touch the bottles or the diffuser, be sure to wash your hands before petting or picking up your cats.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I've decided to go the safe route and stop using them for the most part. I've read that diffusers can put the mist and oils in the cats lungs, plus skin irritation. Putting them on a cotton ball is about all I do. I've gotten rid of plug ins and such as well and ocassionally burn wax cubes for a short period. Even Lysol is harmful to cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are renting the house. And I did let her know but she said that she read about them too and she thinks that they are fine in moderation. But now I’m freaking out because I feel like she doesn’t take my anxieties regarding the cats seriously because I am, admittedly, over anxious about everything that could be potentially harmful to the cats.

How anxious should I be? Should I just bring Mia into my room if she’s using the diffuser?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she only uses it occasionally is it still really dangerous? Is Mia going to die of liver failure if she’s exposed to it once and a while.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she only uses it occasionally is it still really dangerous? Is Mia going to die of liver failure if she’s exposed to it once and a while.
Once in a while is probably not a cause for alarm. It the smell is overwhelming to you, then it is most certainly overwhelming to Mia. Get Mia used to spending time in your room, if that is the case.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
And I did let her know but she said that she read about them too and she thinks that they are fine in moderation.
Then refer her to this site and have her read the Articles and posts that have been posted here. If it would help ease your anxiety you could also contact the company that makes the essential oils to verify the toxicity to cats. Best of luck!