How toxic are Christmas trees for cats?

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My house mate wants to get a Christmas tree for the living room. I have heard that they are toxic to cats so I was not a huge fan of having a Christmas tree (unless it was a fake Christmas tree) but then my other house mate said that he wanted a Christmas tree too. So I am out voted.

I could keep my cat Mia downstairs for the whole of Christmas. It's a good sized space for a cat. But the cats only all just got used to living with each other. And I don't want to undo that work by isolating Mia downstairs (we have three cats in the house, each house mate has a cat).

Am I being paranoid about the tree, how dangerous are Christmas trees really for cats? How worried should I be? Mia has never been around a Christmas tree so I guess I don't know if she would eat the needles or not, and I know that My house mate will make sure that the cats can't get at the Christmas tree water.

So what do you guys think? How toxic are Christmas trees and would I be paranoid if I kept Mia away from it for the entirety of December?

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have only heard of poinsettias being of major concern this time of year but maybe it depends on type of tree?? I know in the past when my family had real trees that the cats liked to drink the water but otherwise that was it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I was reading up about trees and apparently the type of tree does make a difference. I’m gonna try and make sure that my housemates get a Douglas fir because supposedly it’s nontoxic and the needles are rounded at the ends so they are less likely to perforate your cat’s intestines if your cat eats them.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Fir, spruce, and pine are all irritating if the cat eats the needles and may cause drooling, etc. A bigger danger might be what is on the tree which is edible or perceived as a toy and that would be the case with artificial or real trees. I have had Christmas trees with dogs and cats and not had issues but but you have to monitor your pets to see if they are overly interested in the tree.

Pi_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Use large round plastic (break proof) or no ornaments at the bottom where the cats might play with them. Be aware real trees have tons of mold so watch also for allergies. (Wheezing, skin issues, etc) Don’t keep it too long (mold, dried needles) and vacuum frequently under it. I just don’t bother anymore and got a small fake one this year. My cat has FIV and I don’t want a lot of allergens or skin irritants. But just keep an eye. I grew up with real trees and cats and it was all okay.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The problem, other than nibbling needles, is when cats drink the water from the tree stand. THAT can cause some serious issues due to the sap leaching into the water.. I would make some sort of shield to put over the water reservoir on the tree stand so that the cat can't reach the water.