How to use Cerenia

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet prescribed Cerenia for my cat with kidney disease. I don't give it to her often because she hasn't been vomiting (the fact that she hasn't been eating much, period, is probably part of that reason and a separate issue that I'm trying desperately to address). Should I be giving this to her every day regardless? Would it help with her appetite? I crush the tiny amount prescribed and mix it in with a pureed treat, which usually works (some flavors/varieties seem to be better at disguising the medication's taste), and would have the extra benefit of getting some food into her, even if it's not a prescribed kidney diet food.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is only my experience with Cerenia and hopefully others will comment. When it has been prescribed, it has never been to anyone who was vomiting but for suspected nausea due to conditions like pancreatitis. Nausea symptoms include air licking, licking in general, and drooling among others. It is not considered an appetite stimulant and I never saw it increase any pet's appetite on its own. Having said that, I have only administered it as part of a protocol involving several medications, so it is hard for me to pinpoint Cerenia exactly.

Can you call your vet and ask if he intended it every day (or if he did, if that is going to work for your cat), mention the lack of appetite. If she eats the Cerenia with pureed treats, will she eat those separately for some nourishment? Are you referring to the Hartz Delectables sort of treat of which there are lots of brands?

Cat won't eat or drink after taking Cerenia pill

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Appetite Loss, Nausea and Vomiting

The first thread is a discussion about Cerenia and the second is from Tanya's CKD site. I would not change the dosage of the pill though without talking to your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My impression when the vet prescribed Cerenia is that it was for vomiting. I can double check that. The pureed threats are things like Inaba Churu, Tiki Cat, etc. I've used the Inaba Churu as treats for several years. I began using them, and the other brands, as a means to disguise medication just recently; someone else on a CatSite forum suggested it. My cat is affectionate but also difficult. She hates to be held or picked up, so giving her medication by mouth is very difficult. Therefore mixing the pills into some kind of palatable food was a way to improve the odds that she would get them into her system. I still give her (and her mom, who does not have any health issues and is always in the same part of the house) one of the treats occasionally just because, without any meds. They're not part of a kidney diet, but I rationalize that once in a while it won't hurt. Given her erratic eating habits, it's probably better to give her something she'll eat than let her go hungry.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It absolutely can be prescribed for vomiting and probably is used for that more so. Ask your vet if it is okay not to give it if you do not observe vomiting. I only mentioned nausea because I have a standing prescription for it for my very elderly dog who is prone to pancreatitis with accompanying nausea, but has never vomited during any of those episodes.

Can you purrito your cat? Some won't go for that either and in some cases is sort of calms them down a little and becomes like a thunder shirt.

I never saw Cerenia increase appetite; it seemed that did not happen until some recovery had started or a med like mirtazapine or Entyce was used. But that is purely anecdotal on my part although it is included in most literature about Cerenia.