How to treat huge wound o ferals back?

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Occaisionally I feed someone's colony when she goes away a few days.  This time she asked me to look at a wound on the back of one. I saw it, HUGE but does not look infected. Appears something tried to eat it, we have coyotes, foxes, raccoons galore. The shin/fur is not attached, with huge gaping area showing tissue over the bones either side of spine is the best way I can describe it. There are no resources for vet care, I myself am caring for 25 cats currently and she told me she spends too much on food, will not consider vet care ever.

Is there anything I can do, maybe try to get close enough to pour hydrogen peroxide on it?

Karen

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Without vet care his chances are not good. It may be kindest to trap him and have him humanely euthanized. Even if the wound is not infected now it likely will be soon. He's also quite likely in pain. Sometimes animal control will help with euthanasia for free or a low cost.

If you believe that the wound is treatable trapping and containing him to a dog crate while treating him with antibiotics for a couple of weeks may be an option. Some colony caretakers use fish antibiotics on their cats when needed, such as Fish Mox (amoxicillin). It can be put in his food.

I would not put hydrogen peroxide on him. Recent studies have shown that hydrogen peroxide is not only not helpful on wounds but can be harmful.

Leaving him outside in the colony and hoping for the best is not a good option, imo. He needs to be trapped asap, weather you take him to have him put down or contain and treat him. You may want to send out some emails to local rescues and shelters to see if they can help. You could also try to take some pictures of the kitty and use them to fundraise online towards vet care for him.

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

Occaisionally I feed someone's colony when she goes away a few days.  This time she asked me to look at a wound on the back of one. I saw it, HUGE but does not look infected. Appears something tried to eat it, we have coyotes, foxes, raccoons galore. The shin/fur is not attached, with huge gaping area showing tissue over the bones either side of spine is the best way I can describe it. There are no resources for vet care, I myself am caring for 25 cats currently and she told me she spends too much on food, will not consider vet care ever.

Is there anything I can do, maybe try to get close enough to pour hydrogen peroxide on it?

Karen
i agree with @Ziggy'smom  . if you want to use anything:

"Chlorhexidine diacetate 0.05% has sustained residual activity against a broad spectrum of bacteria while causing minimal tissue inflammation."

"Povidone-iodine 1% is an effective antiseptic, but it has minimal residual activity"

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/e...ound_management/initial_wound_management.html

or

'Colloidal silver compounds, which release silver ions slowly, are bacteriostatic and have a more sustained effect. They do not irritate the tissues and have little astringent or caustic effect. "

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p.../metals_as_antiseptics_and_disinfectants.html