How to treat bee & wasp stings I various parts of a cat

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok I'm asking this cuz my silly female oriental cat decided to play with a bee or wasp her lower jaw is a lil swollen bothing breathing problems or anything just some swelling, she is eating drinking  "yelling" at me when I stop her from playing with things that fly (other then her toys) I can't see a stinger on her jaw or in her mouth but I do see a little lump near her canine teeth. So I'm curious what can I do to treat this as I'm stuck at home an no one will give me a ride to the vet even when I offer to buy them a full tank of gas!.

Can someone suggest some treatments that they themself has tried at home?

I tried a cool/cold compress on her mouth by suggestion of vet but could not offer more help unless I came in.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok I'm asking this cuz my silly female oriental cat decided to play with a bee or wasp her lower jaw is a lil swollen bothing breathing problems or anything just some swelling, she is eating drinking  "yelling" at me when I stop her from playing with things that fly (other then her toys) I can't see a stinger on her jaw or in her mouth but I do see a little lump near her canine teeth. So I'm curious what can I do to treat this as I'm stuck at home an no one will give me a ride to the vet even when I offer to buy them a full tank of gas!.

Can someone suggest some treatments that they themself has tried at home?

I tried a cool/cold compress on her mouth by suggestion of vet but could not offer more help unless I came in.
i did an internet search and found this info -- http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/bee-stings-101-how-to-help-your-pet . that's what is suggested, what you did -- called your vet, as well as checking for the stinger and a cold compress. i'd keep a close eye on your girl's lower jaw to make sure the swelling doesn't increase or spread.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm hopeing my husband will be home early and maybe my vet will take her as a emergency case (messed up part is she is supposed to be in tomorrow to get her eye looked at cuz there something aint right with it) she seems fine but I'm very worried I have delt with dogs doing stupid things like this but never a cat!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When our cat got stung by a wasp we called our vet who said we could just keep an eye on him. His paw was swollen but he was otherwise OK so the vet wasn't too concerned. The swelling went down fairly quickly ( a couple of hours I think) and he was fine. If he'd had more serious reactions like affecting his breathing or being in more pain, then we would've taken him in. I know they can have very adverse reactions to being stung just like some humans. I knew a dog who died within minutes of being stung in the back of his throat by a bee or wasp. :(
Hopefully your cat is fine and you can just take her for the scheduled visit tomorrow.

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thus far she is ok she is eating and drinking like a horse and she even had the guys that were fixing our boiler concerned and they fussed over her non-stop so I think she may like the attenion (just hope she dont do it again for such) I decided to put a picture up of what it looked like roughly 20-30 min after her sting the swelling has gone down quite a bit in say 4-5 hrs but if ur cat looks like that ya they decided to see what a bee and or wasp tastes like. I also remeber my vet in the USA telling me to use allergry meds to help with the sting but that was for dogs. has anyone tried using even a little tiny bit on a cat with a bee or wasp sting?

p.s please excuse  the little darkish bits near her mouth she decided to try and head half a 410g can of prawn wet kitty food lol.

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well she has the all clear from the vet for her eye and I asked my vet what I could give my cat who weights a little over 3kg in case she decides to see what another bee or wasp tastes like, And I was told 1/4-1/2 of a 25mg allergy pill would be ok to give her. turns out he was not in yesterday to give advice.

Tornado Tammy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm really pleased to have found this thread! This morning when we were heading out to the letter box, I saw my wee Tammy pounce on a bee on the porch, and was batting it around with her paw! First one I've seen around since last summer! I grabbed her quickly, and then pounced my own big foot on it, then delivered it into oblivion! She's only fairly recently been allowed to venture outside and fortunately, she wasn't stung!

We're just into Spring here now, so things are beginning to liven up with bees, wasps and flies etc! Not a lot I can do about it when she's outside (where she's just begun to venture recently), but I can manage them myself inside, with a good fly swat of my own! I don't have screens on the windows and doors - so unfortunately they do get inside in the hotter weather! Of course, with her being either inside and outside now, I'll have to keep a good eye on her! Can't bear the thought of her getting stung!