How to treat a really aggressive cat

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has a aggressive side to her. Most times shes fine but whenever theres a change she gets extremely aggressive. Like last night I took out the trash and saw a cat, it started to rain and i felt bad so I brought the cat home. My cat right away got upset and realized this wasnt gonna work so maybe not even a minute later I let the cat back out. Afterwards, my cat continued to act out. growled, hissed, swat at me every time I got up, to a part I saw her following me into the bathroom. I was trapped for 15 minutes. Happened twice. Even though this type of behavior isnt a everyday or even every month thing, im noticing its getting worse whenever she does get that way. Shes literally one of those cats that you see on that show "my cat from hell" . This morning she was a lot better but still jumpy and a couple times it looked like she was about to attack. Anyone has a cat like this? its super stressful dealing with this, with thoughts of getting her declawed (which im against, but ive already been on antibiotics 2x because of these episodes) or even giving her up. Which I hate cause i know she wont be considered adoptable and most likely will be put down. I bought some hemp oil, waiting for it to arrive so im hoping it will work. But dont know what to do if it doesnt work

I might move in december idk yet, but will move eventually. Im super scared shes gonna get like this when we move. She gets like this now every time we come home from the vet, she wasnt like that before. so like i said, its getting worse

I got her when she was 2 months old, shes now 7 years old. So she wasnt raised as a stray. People have asked me that whenever they see her act out. I also live in a studio so i cant put her another room.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they are aware of it on some level because of how she acts there but dont know its also getting worse at home. i already know they're gonna wanna see her if they're gonna prescribe anything. just a drag if i have to do that. if i do move in december i might schedule an appt first if they have any ideas what to do during the move. do you think they can do anything? like prescribe something? shes always had this side of her so its not anything medical, its 100% mentally

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the time an aggressive cat is acting out of anger or fear. And the sight or smell of a strange cat will bring out both feelings in a cat. Even though you quickly let that cat out, your home still smelled and you still smelled of the stranger cat. So her anger and fear get redirected at you.

The best thing to do with a cat in that state is to give them space. If she is cornering you, of course, that hard to do. Most cats won’t attack if they are given space and those that do just give you a hiss and a hard swat before running off. But there definitely are some that may bite or scratch so if remaining quiet isn’t working and the cats aggression seems to be increasing you need to quietly and slowly look for something that can create a barrier between you and your cat. In the bathroom I would grab a thick towel and hold it down by your legs as you go past the cat. While you are protecting yourself you want to talk to her in a soft and soothing tone and not made any sudden movement.

Once you have some distance she will likely leave you alone and then you just need to ignore her until she is over her snit. I would also throw down a pile of catnip since it mellows cats out.

Last edited:

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i did shower and changed the bed sheets (the cat was on it) figured the same thing about the scent. i also did walk around with a little blanket to cover my legs. and with a spray bottle, i know some people are against that but she definitely would of gotten me good a couple times if it wasnt for the spray bottle. she did scratch me once but it wasnt bad. kinda hard to give her space cause i live in a studio. everywhere i went she followed, just wanting to attack. took me about 3 hours just to do a couple things in the kitchen, shower and change the sheets. she just wouldnt stop following me and cornering me. only time i was safe is when i was on the bed. i could even pet her. but as soon as i got up she lashed out:sigh:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you betrayed her by bringing in another cat j/k i notice my cat graycie acts a lil standoffish after i visit my dads house and come home smelling like my sisters two cats if its only dogs scent she is okay. different if its her cats

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like a challenge. In addition to giving her the catnip, I would try some Feliway spray, it’s supposed to have a calming affect. You might also want to talk to your vet about some stronger meds.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gosh, I'm sorry!

Your cat's behavior getting worse, and having good health checkups makes me wonder if there's something going on outside your current home that's triggering her, but that doesn't tie in with her behavior after the vet visits unless the sound or smell seems even stronger to her after being away.

A move could be beneficial.

do you think they can do anything? like prescribe something?
There are calming products they can prescribe, you might want to see if they'll give her something where you wouldn't have to bring her in--mention that she's particularly bad after coming back home.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you betrayed her by bringing in another cat j/k i notice my cat graycie acts a lil standoffish after i visit my dads house and come home smelling like my sisters two cats if its only dogs scent she is okay. different if its her cats
i know. poor kitty. the horror :help:
i volunteer at the shelter (havent since march cause of covid) and i spent the entire time in the cat room and she never got aggressive when i came home smelling like cats.

She sounds like a challenge. In addition to giving her the catnip, I would try some Feliway spray, it’s supposed to have a calming affect. You might also want to talk to your vet about some stronger meds.
have you tried them. i think reviews on those have to be better in order to convince me to buy them

Gosh, I'm sorry!

Your cat's behavior getting worse, and having good health checkups makes me wonder if there's something going on outside your current home that's triggering her, but that doesn't tie in with her behavior after the vet visits unless the sound or smell seems even stronger to her after being away.

A move could be beneficial.

There are calming products they can prescribe, you might want to see if they'll give her something where you wouldn't have to bring her in--mention that she's particularly bad after coming back home.
shes just bipolar 😫 i self diagnosed her. she doesnt let anyone besides me pet her.
i already know they're gonna wanna bring her in. ugh! i might just bring her home and just leave. go run some errands and take my time. so that way she can have her space.
have you tried any of over the counter anxiety products before?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have tried feliway, my boy had no reaction at all either way. I also tried Comfort Zone and he seemed to just want to be in a room away from where the diffuser was plugged in.

I have also tried Only Natural Pet's product called Just Relax spray, and this one actually seems to have a positive effect. He gets so relaxed he takes a nap.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i looked it up. i saw one that has catnip another with lavender. which did you use?
i wonder if using an oil lavender scent on my plug in oil thingys will work? 🤔
i use lavendar fabuloso mop cleaner and she will roll herself right after i mop every single time (mopped today actually) even when the floor is still super wet. i think she likes the smell

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thought about that last night just didnt do it. but will next time. especially if i have to take her in to see the vet

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Just thinking about her stalking you and whether she might be expressing dominance rather than fear. Have you ever tried facing her and staring her down? I wouldn’t try it without long pants on and something like a pillow in hand in case the stare provoked an attack but something worth trying to see if you asserting yourself causes her to back down.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
that makes sense. hard to believe a cat would cause that much fear. shes back to normal for now

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, part of why I wanted to see a video was to see whether scaring you was part of a game she was playing. Not a nice game but maybe something she finds entertaining

Last edited:

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just thinking about her stalking you and whether she might be expressing dominance rather than fear. Have you ever tried facing her and staring her down? I wouldn’t try it without long pants on and something like a pillow in hand in case the stare provoked an attack but something worth trying to see if you asserting yourself causes her to back down.
My mind was going the same way.
Cats will dominate in a blink of an eye if they have the attitude and find a weakness they can exploit.
There is a dark side to these furry little kitty kats.
A video would be good to see what is actually occurring..

Amalfi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she an indoor cat? Just wondering whether she has enough to keep her interest and whether she's actually looking for you to play with her. Or do you have things to divert her interest like toys?

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is she a tortie or part tortie? Lulu is and is very bratty sometimes. There are only two people in the house (of 6) that she lets pet her or pick her up, me and my son. Everyone else gets a swat or a growl. There have been times when she's gone after my ankles unprovoked and it's very upsetting.

I'm sorry that you're going through this. I've decided that this is Lulu's personality and we have to respect it. In your case you're being hurt so it's not ok. I don't have any knowledge, other than to protect yourself...but I wanted to type a message of support!