How to trap a stray?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another stray showed up today. Hes not posted being lost anywhere on FB groups. We live in the country.
I tried getting him in a carrier even putting the towel over him. Though I'm not sure his head was covered enough. He wasn't having it. I set the trap. He went in but came back out and isn't interested in the tuna. He's probably not hungry as I gave him a 3oz can of food earlier in the day. I can take him in and keep him in a dog crate. But how do you get them in if they won't go in a carrier?

MsChupacabra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How big is the dog crate?

You can try getting one of those humane animal traps instead. Put food inside and leave it alone. The cat will investigate it while you're away, and the trap should do the work on its own. I think the problem with carriers maybe is that you have to be there to shut the door on the cat. If the cat is new to you and you're strangers, it'll be hard getting it's trust enough to stick him in a carrier.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I have one of those traps. It went in but must not have gone far enough to set it off. Sadly the last 2 strays went right into the carriers. But yea even my own cats don't always like the carrier. Im going to put his food in later today. Hopefully it won't scare him. They don't like the traps. But its the only way I can get him in. We have the large 36 inch dog crate.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
UPDATE he warmed right up to my husband. So he is currently in a large dog crate in our laundry room. He whined at first but he's quiet now. Any tips for keeping from going stir crazy until the shelter can take him?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is so kind of you to help another stray. Since he is friendly, can he be put into a small room of any sort or does he have to stay in the crate? Another part of this might be for how long? A brief stay will probably be okay, but if it will go on for even a few days you might need to have another place for him.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is so kind of you to help another stray. Since he is friendly, can he be put into a small room of any sort or does he have to stay in the crate? Another part of this might be for how long? A brief stay will probably be okay, but if it will go on for even a few days you might need to have another place for him.
I just called the shelter. They can take him next Wednesday. I dont have a room for him. But just ordered a larger/taller crate from Amazon. I will probably take him out and let him run in the bathroom when i clean his crate.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I ordered a larger crate with three levels will be her tomorrow. Also a cat hammock. It came today. Any tips on how to hang it? Should I put it low and wide to start?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never use a hammock which is not saying that you should not as all the cats who were up for adoption at my vet's office, pre COVID,loved them. A three level crate sounds really nice and maybe put it where you are suggesting and go from there?