How to tempt my cat to drink water?

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, not sure if this is something I need to worry about, since we feed 100% wet food to our kitty, Buddy. He doesn't drink water. I have been putting a little water around his wet food - moat method I read here. He does drink that up as he eats his food. I have tried stainless steel bowls, ceramic bowls, large coffee mug (our previous kitty loved drinking water out of coffee mugs). Big bowls, small bowls, deep bowls, shallow bowls, oval bowls, etc... Tried different places. Tried two types of fountains. Tried dripping water in the sink and in a bathtub. He doesn't act like he's thirsty. He pees consistently in his box - good amounts. Should I give up? I have left one bowl out just in case he ever does want to drink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a whole house water filter and our fridge also has a water filter. I don't think he has issues with lack of hydration as he has good pee "patties" in the litter box. I do add water to his wet food bowl around his food, and his wet food is good an "wet". Just wanted to see if there were any suggestions or if y'all think we are good as is? Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I gave you a couple suggestions according to your title and some of your post. I'm sorry if I wasn't any help. Anyway, I'm not a vet and I don't know if the tent test is truly valid for whether a cat is hydrated or not :)

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you it is much appreciated! He is a stinker. I think I may just be over-worrying. Just wanted to see if there was anything I could try. Maybe I need to go over to my in-laws house and get a jug of regular tap water to try out. :D

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think you are over-worrying based on all that you have said. The only thing that you might do is set out more water dishes throughout the house - sometimes that helps a cat to be 'interested' in taking a drink while passing by. There are cats that when fed nothing but wet food, especially when there is water added to it, just don't drink much otherwise.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello, not sure if this is something I need to worry about, since we feed 100% wet food to our kitty, Buddy. He doesn't drink water.
Most cats on wet food don't drink water or don't drink much water as the wet food keeps them hydrated. You can add in a tablespoonful or two filtered water to his wet food each time he eats. If the food is more to the soupy side and he finishes everything, I don't think it's a worrying thing about him not having enough water.

My boy is also on 100% wet food and I add some water to his meal each time he eats and he does not drink water even if I place a bowl of water for him to drink.

You can test to see if your cat is fully hydrated or not by doing this little experiment. Gently pinch his skin behind his shoulders and lift up and let go and see if the skin goes back to it's original position in a fast or slow motion. If it springs back fast, your cat is hydrated and if the skin goes down real slow, your cat is not hydrated enough.
Also check if he strains while pooping. If he's fully hydrated, he'll have no problems pooping and if not hydrated enough, you'll see him straining to poo and the poop is dry and not moist.

Last edited:

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks y'all! I think we are good. His skin springs back nicely and fast and his poop looks great. I'm not going to worry about it unless I see these signs. As for fountains, I did try two. The local rescue now has them. He looked at them like he looked at the various water dishes I tried. I even tried dripping water in sinks and in the tub. No go. (I have a friend that has cats that love tub drink/playtime.)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He may not drink much at all if he has wet food 100%.

I also add a bit of water to my cats food, like the above posters. Usually when it's hot out or humid.