Kitten help 🐱🥰

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! So i rescued a cat and shes about 4yo. This will be her first litter. I will assume she got pregnant right before christmas? Which is when she got out. Shes an Inside cat. Ive never had a pregnant cat or been around one. Ive been giving her kitten food. Shes not really an affectionate cat. & she absolutely hates other cats. How can i tell she will be a good mom? How can i tell its time? Or getting close?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How can i tell she will be a good mom?
Hi! There's no way to tell ahead of time whether she'll be a good mama.
Giving her kitten food is great, it's often suggested to do that for the extra nutrition.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And continue to give mom cat kitten food as long sash is nursing the kittens. Also a saucer or two of Kitten Milk Replacement from now and as long as she is marching kittens. She will need the extra minerals,particularly calcium, and the extra fat and protein from now and as long as she continues to nurse. Good luck and keep us updated! Thanks for.the rescue!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All excellent advice above! Do not let her out of the house after she has the kittens. She may go into heat again within a couple of weeks and can actually get pregnant again. Please get her spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I had one that got pregnant when her kittens were only weeks old. First time mothers can be scared and can reject their kittens, but most are instinctively caring. Take your que from her, she will let you know if she needs you or not at the birthing. most appreciate help. do keep an eye on her to make sure everything is going smoothly and have the vets number handy if she struggles for over an hour with no results. she should have her kittens by the end of Febuary, so any time. Have warm, wet washcloths ready to stimulate the kittens and remove anything from their face if mama is too exhausted. Almost everytime everything goes smoothly, just be ready. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And continue to give mom cat kitten food as long sash is nursing the kittens. Also a saucer or two of Kitten Milk Replacement from now and as long as she is marching kittens. She will need the extra minerals,particularly calcium, and the extra fat and protein from now and as long as she continues to nurse. Good luck and keep us updated! Thanks for.the rescue!
Thank you! I will do this.

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All excellent advice above! Do not let her out of the house after she has the kittens. She may go into heat again within a couple of weeks and can actually get pregnant again. Please get her spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old.
I plan too! I was actually waiting for my vet to have the special thing they do annually. I also thought i had no worries as i only have 1 cat who is always inside.🤷🏼‍♀️ lol

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I had one that got pregnant when her kittens were only weeks old. First time mothers can be scared and can reject their kittens, but most are instinctively caring. Take your que from her, she will let you know if she needs you or not at the birthing. most appreciate help. do keep an eye on her to make sure everything is going smoothly and have the vets number handy if she struggles for over an hour with no results. she should have her kittens by the end of Febuary, so any time. Have warm, wet washcloths ready to stimulate the kittens and remove anything from their face if mama is too exhausted. Almost everytime everything goes smoothly, just be ready. All the luck!
I will try my best to be home. I work 12hr night shifts though. But i will support my kitty! & then have her fixed 😊

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey yall!!! Here's an update!
So we had kittens this morning!!! We have 3. Babies are fine & so is mama! 🥰
Im no expert but i think mama cat is in love lol
The only problem is that she had them on my daughter's bed! 😬 ( my kids are at grandmas) can i move them & she be ok with it?
Thanks!!

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! So my kittens are almost 24hours old & mama has not ate drank or used the litter box. Is this normal? How can I help?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she cranky with you? Would she allow you to handle the kittens, for weighing? Change bedding, etc?

If she'll let you do that, maybe you could finger feed her, to remind her to eat?

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she cranky with you? Would she allow you to handle the kittens, for weighing? Change bedding, etc?

If she'll let you do that, maybe you could finger feed her, to remind her to eat?
Yes. I can rub her. Feel her belly. Hold the babies. I even moved them into a container. I will try to. I put the food and water bowl right next to her but i will try to feed her.

Appleblooms_mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. I can rub her. Feel her belly. Hold the babies. I even moved them into a container. I will try to. I put the food and water bowl right next to her but i will try to feed her.
Shes not cranky with me but with my husband yes. I can be near her but she growls at him. Maybe that's why?