How to tell if cat is constipated in multi-cat household?

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have two 2.5 year old litter-mates that we adopted back in March. We had them checked by a vet in May and they got a clean bill of health. Both have been healthy, active, and eating/drinking normally.

This morning when cleaning the litter boxes (we scoop them daily) I noticed that the 'solid deposits' (e.g. Number Two's) were less than normal - seems like from only one cat. There were a few Number One deposits which seems normal. Otherwise both seem to feel well this morning and are going about their normal routines (looking out various windows at birds) and both did eat breakfast.

In a multi-cat household where the cats share litter boxes, is there a way to tell if either cat is constipated? Would they be lethargic or have other symptoms?

Thanks in advance.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two 2.5 year old litter-mates that we adopted back in March. We had them checked by a vet in May and they got a clean bill of health. Both have been healthy, active, and eating/drinking normally.

This morning when cleaning the litter boxes (we scoop them daily) I noticed that the 'solid deposits' (e.g. Number Two's) were less than normal - seems like from only one cat. There were a few Number One deposits which seems normal. Otherwise both seem to feel well this morning and are going about their normal routines (looking out various windows at birds) and both did eat breakfast.

In a multi-cat household where the cats share litter boxes, is there a way to tell if either cat is constipated? Would they be lethargic or have other symptoms?

Thanks in advance.
You will have to see them going back and forth to the litter box and not having any success. Or mine used to squat right in the living room and try to go which was not normal at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK thanks - we'll keep an eye out then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This mornings litter box deposits were fine and plentiful, so kitties are fine :)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad they are doing well!

This is a bit late to the party but her this a weird trick you can use in the future.

Crayons.

Not joking.

I have 4, there are cameras on the boxes for urine issues with the one kitty (making sure he pees) but whenever a poop issue is in question - I grate different color crayons, unscented, unaltered, regular Crayola crayons and mash a bunch into there wet food. Each cat has their plate and a different color - and I do not let them deviate from their plates.

The culprit is then ID'd via their color :-) and steps taken. :dizzycat::dance:

Last edited: